Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 AM

18,698 posts, read 33,347,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
He walked with her.
I think that's a great lesson. I'm not a parent, but I think that he went with her for safety and she had to walk as a consequence is really wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,462,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's going to **** her off... And the dad posting it with hopes of it going "viral" to make himself feel good... Eh... I can go on about the list of things wrong here.

I know! I don't like that the father is patting himself on the back and posting a video that will humiliate his female child publicly. It's uncomfortable to me. If he believes walking to school is proper punishment, then make her walk. Don't film her from behind as she walks and then post it for the world to gawk at.

Also, he admits to lecturing her along the way while she walks. For what purpose? She already knows why she was made to walk to school. I consider it bullying her from his warm car. Imagine being a child and having to listen to that badgering for an hour or more while you're freezing your butt off. And if that isn't bad enough, your dad, the video and news media run with it, thus bullying you even more.

Bullies usually bully because they don't feel good about themselves. The little girl learned how to bully. Maybe she learned it from her bullying dad.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 AM

17,050 posts, read 15,303,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

For all of those who do not agree with these 3 decisions...what would YOU do if this was YOUR child, how would YOU want to handle this situation??? What would you say if it was YOUR child who was being bullied, and how would YOU want the parent, school and bus driver to of handled it???

So many parents these days want to make excuses for their kids, and their behavior. Friends who are teachers are so fed up with the parents, more so than the kids. Kids these days get away with murder and most have no consequences to their horrible actions, why....parents!

Obviously, some of the comments on this thread came from those who didn't read the full story.
Making her walk is great.
I'm just not a fan of posting things like this on social media, and then making news out of it. Even if he didn't intend for it to go "viral," we all know that it can, and likely will. That's where I think he went wrong. Not the punishment.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,066,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

True to form as is the norm these days with narcissists, daddy posts the video on social media to publicly pat himself on the back (he definitely knew it was going to become 'viral').

I have no idea what walking to school is going to do to fix the problem either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's going to **** her off... And the dad posting it with hopes of it going "viral" to make himself feel good... Eh... I can go on about the list of things wrong here.
This isn't the 1st ""punishment"" like this. There have been a couple similar to this one.

I saw another one in which a Dad accompanied his son to school and held his hand, sat next to him etc. The kid was in Junior HS or HS. He was acting out in class so his dad decided to accompany him to school/class to ensure that he behaves.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:44 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,880,646 times
It would take far more than one hour for an average ten-year-old to walk five miles. I walked one mile home from high school, and it typically took me half an hour, walking at an average pace. So figure I was walking at a speed of two miles per hour - but I was fourteen and a half to seventeen years old during those three years. If I had run, of course I would have made better time - but what ten year old can run five miles during frigid conditions, while laden with school books and other supplies?

I am glad the father walked with his daughter. I hope they had some good conversations - not all about bullying - during that time. Perhaps by the end of the suspension, dad could reminisce about his own youthful errors and/or how it feels to be on the other end of bullying, and the daughter would be able to hear him and benefit by it. And I hope the father truly listened to his daughter and gained insight into what led her to bullying: are her parents pushing her too hard? Does she have low self-esteem? Does she take pleasure in tormenting others? Is her target always the same child or children? What is behind her bad behavior?

If the daughter had walked alone, it would have been potentially dangerous and she would have seethed with resentment, most likely.

Not sure posting this on YouTube was a constructive decision - seems that would lead to further embarrassment for the daughter and more resentment.

I also wonder how exhausted and cold she was when she got to school, and how much learning could take place for an exhausted, shivering child?

So I have mixed feelings about this response. But the daughter will never forget it - for better or worse.

Okay, Just read some responses posting while I was writing this - did the father walk, or did he drive his car along beside his daughter while she walked alone, lecturing her constantly? If the latter, that's very destructive and demeaning behavior.

Then posting it for all the world to see - does this man truly love his daughter, or does he view her solely as a reflection of himself? Again, if it's the latter, it implies narcissism on the part of the father, and it's no wonder the child acted out. She did to others just what her father is likely to have done to her.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:45 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,238,741 times
Bravo to this parent.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:06 AM

102,172 posts, read 107,699,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
he fact that she bullied a kid in the 1st place speaks volumTe on her upbringing. Not sure how walking to school is going to fix that behavior. Mom and Dad need to be looked at and if they are not the issue then Mon and Dad need to find the source of her behavior.
There's a very toney enclave in Oakland (CA), that's actually a separate municipality. ALL the kids in my school who were from there, were bullies! They could be relentless, when they picked a mark to harass. And I'm talking about girls. It really makes you wonder what parents in that neighborhood are thinking, in raising their kids. I can only guess, that those were some spoiled kids, who always got their way. I later saw one of them, some 20 years after graduation, twice within a few weeks, in a neighborhood that I later learned had a drug-dealing location. She was wearing a wig, to try to disguise herself, as she went to buy drugs. So this is what happens to spoiled kids? Or girls, at least? No career expectations (it was on a weekday afternoon both times)?

As usual, these current events stories raise more questions than can be answered. One dos wonder about her upbringing. But some kids are able to bamboozle their parents, and play a goodie two-shoes role, while acting out behind their backs. We can't always blame the parents. Maybe these bullying incidents were a sudden red flag for the parents, and they took swift action. Good for them!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-06-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 AM

2,464 posts, read 2,755,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

I also wonder how exhausted and cold she was when she got to school, and how much learning could take place for an exhausted, shivering child?
At 10 years old walking a mile shouldn't "exhaust" her. She looks to be appropriately dressed for the weather as well.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM

17,050 posts, read 15,303,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
At 10 years old walking a mile shouldn't "exhaust" her. She looks to be appropriately dressed for the weather as well.
5 miles.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,146,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Punishing her by making her walk won't do as much as teaching/raising her properly.
I consider that punishment appropriate for teaching her a lesson. However, humiliating her by recording it and publishing it for the world to see... well that's bullying. I guess the daughter is learning her craft from the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events