Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:20 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,011,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Over 30 million people and counting have had LASIK. It seems far-fetched that a notable percentage are truly committing suicide over any complications. Some patients complain of not having clear vision since the day of the surgery, but the reason they had the surgery was because their vision was not clear.

Is their any evidence that glasses become ineffective if LASIK is not successful?

It is sad when a family (a husband and 2 beautiful children) are not enough to prevent a wife and mother from taking her own life. R.I.P. Jessica.

It depends on what sort of exact damage the Lasik caused for this particular "person" we would be talking about. Almost anything can be compensated for with properly prescribed glasses. However, almost any damage to the surface of the eye could be enough that they would never be able to properly use contacts again. I do know a few people who had such bad eyesight, that they used glasses AND contacts to compensate! Those types can still sometimes have Lasik, but it can't compensate enough that they would be completely glasses-free afterwards. But, it's much easier to deal with a smaller prescription, than "coke bottle" type glasses.

I kept up with Lasik advances and issues for years after having mine in mid-2000. I knew somebody who committed suicide absolutely because of her bad results with Lasik. She was in extreme pain all the time, and it just got to be too much for her. However, she did at least try to get things fixed for a long period of time after her eyes were originally damaged by the first surgery.

I don't judge people, only God has the right to do that, however I can understand that some just can't handle the sort of constant, unrelenting pain you can get in your eyes after a bad eye surgery. I can handle it, but there's some days much worse than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:22 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not bragging.
Just not a fan of elective surgery of any kind, let alone on your eyes. Plus I know too many people who wound up back in glasses anyway.
Something 16 years as a physician has taught me is that the odds don't apply to an N of 1.

I still think it's odd that they are trying to relate her LASIK with her suicide.
Her struggles trying to recover from Liasik led to the suicide that is what the article stating that is what her family believes. It doesn’t sound like most the people commenting even read the article

Old 12-15-2018, 08:26 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn’t sound like most the people commenting even read the article
of course not, we don't click on clickbait links, if op wanted to talk about the article, he would post a better summary of it in his post

Old 12-15-2018, 08:26 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
I used to post on a health board for dry eye syndrome. The posters who were the most distressed and depressed with the condition were lasik patients and people who had taken Accutane. They were otherwise young healthy people just starting their lives and careers, and after seeing many doctors, expenses, and failures were told they would have to live with the effects. Since they made the elective choice to get lasik or take the acne med, they felt like they did this to themselves and get very depressed.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:29 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How can you be so selfish by killing yourself when you have two young kids? For chrissakes live, if not for yourself, at least for your two kids. They are now devastated and will have no mother.

I agree. Suicide is a selfish act and it does horrible damage to the people you loved and left behind.

This story is really bizarre. Who kills themselves over a medical procedure ?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
of course not, we don't click on clickbait links, if op wanted to talk about the article, he would post a better summary of it in his post
Oh that’s to your detriment, because the article is actually very interesting and you would learn something from it. It’s not just about this meteorologist.

Just personally find it distasteful to comment on an article that you havent actually read. I don’t know what makes something a click bait link

Old 12-15-2018, 08:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
There had to be other unresolved issues. The Lasiks may have put her over the edge.

I've always worn glasses. I don't want to be sticking pieces of glass or plastic into my eyes. I cringe at the thought of eye surgery. Never!
Jeeez....right, contacts are plastic NOT glass...and most contacts are not rigid plastic in the sense of lucite or even "tupperware". Have you actually looked at or held a soft contact? It's practically like jello. And you put them ON your eye - nothing is jabbing into it. But do whatever you want.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:48 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I used to post on a health board for dry eye syndrome. The posters who were the most distressed and depressed with the condition were lasik patients and people who had taken Accutane. They were otherwise young healthy people just starting their lives and careers, and after seeing many doctors, expenses, and failures were told they would have to live with the effects. Since they made the elective choice to get lasik or take the acne med, they felt like they did this to themselves and get very depressed.
I can kind of get that. When I was 29 I had thyroid cancer and had to have it removed. No one told me the incision would be halfway around the front of my neck! And the surgeon so proudly told me afterwards that she stitched it with plastic surgery stitches and placed the incision in the "natural folds of my neck".

When I questioned her, she said I'd be able to tell that when I was 50! Well, nearly 30 years later I STILL don't have any folds in my neck but maybe by the time I'm 80 they'll be deep enough to hide the scar I've had since the age of 30. BTW, the vast majority of thyroid cancers are not exactly life threatening but I still would have liked an honest assessment of just how large and prominent the scar would be - I looked like Frankenstein for months and on top of the diagnosis, major surgery, and recovery, the scar itself was quite a lot to handle in my relative youth.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'll get lasik when my eye doc gets lasik. If it's not worth it to her, it ain't something I will do, especially since glasses and contacts are so easy.

Glasses are great for sun protection, too. Not to mention things flying in your eyes.
Bingo!

My optometrist, who is extremely competent, had severe myopia & astigmatism -- his eyes were about as bad as mine (we traded glasses once to check). About 10 years ago, he had his eyes LASIKed when he was about 45 y.o., as a "professional courtesy." For the first several years he raved about it, and I was kinda jealous.

Just recently, he's started wearing glasses again; I haven't asked him why, but I'm betting if he'd actually had to pay for the surgery he'd be mighty p.o.'d.

I had bilateral cataract surgery a year ago (all laser, computerized, multifocal implants) and the improvement in my vision was remarkable. The fee for the surgery included follow-up LASIK to correct for the remaining astigmatism. I declined. For me, it wasn't worth the possible complications to not have to wear glasses.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:52 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Bingo!

My optometrist, who is extremely competent, had severe myopia & astigmatism -- his eyes were about as bad as mine (we traded glasses once to check). About 10 years ago, he had his eyes LASIKed when he was about 45 y.o., as a "professional courtesy." For the first several years he raved about it, and I was kinda jealous.

Just recently, he's started wearing glasses again; I haven't asked him why, but I'm betting if he'd actually had to pay for the surgery he'd be mighty p.o.'d.

He had Lasik 10 years ago at age 45, that makes him 55 now. I'm betting it's simply because his eyes have aged. Lasik doesn't stop the aging process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events