Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:26 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Part of training a service dog is exposing it to real-life environments/situations.

The "lady" with the baby could have — and should have — simply walked away like any normal adult would have instead whatever it is she was trying to do. That would have deescalated it instantly.

It doesn't matter how these ladies told mom lady "no." No means NO, and she had no right to demand that it be delivered in a tone that's acceptable to her.
It looks like the dog did ok. Not so much for the handler of the dogs.

It does matter how they said NO to the child. It also matters how they said NO to the mother. People are emotional and if they feel disrespected they will argue, fight, etc. So if you feel that you can tell someone NO if whatever matter you choose then don't be surprised if you get an attitude back or an butt whooping.

Again, the video starts with the lady arguing the mother. It doesn't show how they told the child NO. A parent will protect their child similar to how you would protect your cat, right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:35 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

It does matter how they said NO to the child. It also matters how they said NO to the mother. People are emotional and if they feel disrespected they will argue, fight, etc. So if you feel that you can tell someone NO if whatever matter you choose then don't be surprised if you get an attitude back or an butt whooping.

Again, the video starts with the lady arguing the mother. It doesn't show how they told the child NO. A parent will protect their child similar to how you would protect your cat, right??

Was the comment meant as sarcasm? Please tell me yes.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:

The child wasn't told NO. The mother was told NO when asked if her kid could pet the dog. I don't think any of the other women were in any danger of getting a "butt whooping" from her.

You must have missed the part where the person who told the mom NO is autistic. Those who are autistic often communicate in a very direct manner. The mom chose to take it personally and make an ass of herself over it while a normal person would have had enough awareness to make the fairly obvious connection.

Not sure what you're on about concerning my cat but whatever. ETA but since you asked, I don't drag my Maine Coon around in the mall asking if he can pet service dogs.

Also, the mom wasn't protecting her child with her behavior. The only thing she was protecting was her overly fragile ego and way overinflated sense of entitlement.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-23-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 06:56 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
I seen service or emotional support dogs at airports with their little vest but they are not in "training". Training should be done in a control environment not a mall.

Not sure how an individual trains their service/ESA to help them. Does the animal pass a test after the training to confirm the service/ESA status?

The ladies with the animals were also screaming, shouting, etc at the lady with the baby so no sides were de-escalating the situation.

I also hate how everyone is trying to dox this lady for making a judgement error in overreacting.

If you bring your cat to a public area then you are bring your cat to an environment with unlimited possibilities. (Positive/Negative interactions with other animals, humans, environment, etc)

We also don't know how these ladies told the little girl no. They started recording when they were beefing with the mom.
This article says there were a group with dogs, I don't see anything that says the woman was training her own dog, rather this seems to have been an outing by someone who is in the business of training service dogs.
Service animals will assist their owners in public, they need the experience of dealing with the public. In our neighborhood we have a woman who trains service dogs and she brings them into the store I work at to begin exposing them to a public environment on a small scale. We are not a busy store and she can work with them at getting used to being around people in a more controlled manner, after they finish here they move on to bigger and busier places (like a mall) for more exposure. I don't really see how you could train a dog to deal with the distractions of public places without actually taking them to public places.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:12 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The child wasn't told NO. The mother was told NO when asked if her kid could pet the dog. I don't think any of the other women were in any danger of getting a "butt whooping" from her.

You must have missed the part where the person who told the mom NO is autistic. Those who are autistic often communicate in a very direct manner. The mom chose to take it personally and make an ass of herself over it while a normal person would have had enough awareness to make the fairly obvious connection.

Not sure what you're on about concerning my cat but whatever. ETA but since you asked, I don't drag my Maine Coon around in the mall asking if he can pet service dogs.

Also, the mom wasn't protecting her child with her behavior. The only thing she was protecting was her overly fragile ego and way overinflated sense of entitlement.
No one is going to make the connection that a person with a service / ESA is autistic. That is not always the case with service / ESA so your statement doesn't make any sense. Unless you are stating that everyone with a service/ESA is autistic??? LOL. "You must have missed the part where the person who told the mom NO is autistic. The mom chose to take it personally and make an ass of herself over it while a normal person would have had enough awareness to make the fairly obvious connection."

Again we don't know the way that this lady said NO to the mom. Like i stated, if she said NO in a way that the mom felt was disrespectful due to her autism then an argument would have ensued which it did. A person might confront a person in which they felt was disrespectful to them. They are not going to think "oh! maybe this person is autistic since they have a service /ESA."

Why didn't the service dog deescalate the situation?? Woof Woof, this broad is autistic..Woof Woof!!

Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
No one is going to make the connection that a person with a service / ESA is autistic. That is not always the case with service / ESA so your statement doesn't make any sense. Unless you are stating that everyone with a service/ESA is autistic??? LOL. "You must have missed the part where the person who told the mom NO is autistic. The mom chose to take it personally and make an ass of herself over it while a normal person would have had enough awareness to make the fairly obvious connection."

Again we don't know the way that this lady said NO to the mom. Like i stated, if she said NO in a way that the mom felt was disrespectful due to her autism then an argument would have ensued which it did. A person might confront a person in which they felt was disrespectful to them. They are not going to think "oh! maybe this person is autistic since they have a service /ESA."

Why didn't the service dog deescalate the situation?? Woof Woof, this broad is autistic..Woof Woof!!

It doesn't matter how the woman with the dog said NO to the mom. No means no. At least you've stopped trying to claim that the child was the one who was told NO and trying to make it seem that the mom was somehow protecting the kid. Some protection — shoving the child into her friend's arms and stalking off after failing to stuff the poor kid into the stroller. Yeah, real great mother there.

I wouldn't expect anyone to make an on-the-spot armchair diagnosis of autism or anything else in this situation — my point was that the presence of service dogs would have served as an indicator to reasonable people that the one-word response probably wasn't personal — there could be a variety of reasons.

But then, reasonable people wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-23-2018 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 08:27 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The mother even got mall security because her daughter wasn't allowed to pet the dog!

How much do you want to bet this woman lets her child run up and pet every strange dog they see without asking and throws a fit when the owner says no? And would be the first one to sue if her kid was bitten?

Edited to add: here's a more comprehensive look at what happened.

https://www.boredpanda.com/angry-mom...t-service-dog/
I hate this type of parent! Running around trying to bribe her child's affection like arranging for the child to be able to pet the dogs of complete strangers. Why not just get your child their own puppy?

And it's super dangerous for the child if that dog isn't well socialized and it then bites or maims her precious snowflake of a daughter.

This parent is a terrible parent. She's not a parent but just an adult trying to be best friends with her 2 year old. And that's not what her child needs in order to grow up to become a well adjusted functioning adult herself.

No dog owner owes any stranger's children that kind of access to their animal.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:52 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Much ado about NOTHING.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:06 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
If the "no" came out sounding slightly rude, here's what one of the members there said about that:

“I’d rather people ask than just lean in and try to grab her, which happens every day… but I don’t always have the energy to explain what she’s doing or why she can’t be petted. I’m autistic and sometimes just can’t speak very efficiently at all so I can’t explain even if I wanted to. I might shake my head no, or indicate in some other short way not to pet her or talk to her, and I just want to have that respected."

As it should be.

For those who are questioning the training, there's this: When guide dog puppy raisers get their puppies, one of the things they're asked to do is take the puppies out with them everywhere in public. The puppies are still considered to be in training. They wear a vest and people are not allowed to be friendly or pet or play with them. Technically, the puppy raisers aren't "training" the dog for guide dog work. But they are training. They're there to help the puppy through the crowds and not be afraid of people, escalators, loud noises, etc. Anyone who thinks this is not training has no concept of what training a dog is all about. In fact, a great deal of what the puppy raisers do is directly related to whether or not the dog graduates as a guide dog.

You could almost say the same thing about dogs training in obedience. Usually the dogs training in obedience train in a group. The owners are indeed trying to train them, but the best reason for being out among so many strange people and other dogs is to get the dogs used to noises and commotion. However, I can't imagine anyone waltzing into the training ring and being allowed to pet the dogs while they're training. That doesn't happen even in Petco when they do their puppy training. Although not everyone knows you must never distract or pet a dog in training, it takes a special kind of stupid for a person to take offense at being told this.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
I'm not exactly sure what happened here. The video is unclear. What I do know is that I taught my child from very early on that service dogs were doing a job and that she was not to approach them to pet them. I ALSO taught her to ask owners if she could pet a non-service dog. And when she was very little it was I who asked the owner if it was OK. If they said no, then no was no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events