Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:32 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,027,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats basically what Suboxone is/does! It is a mild opioid, its taken in small doses every day, so recovering addicts do not get sick from withdrawl.

I have been on Suboxone maintenance for about 4 years, I know I will take it the rest of my life.

Well, that certainly explains all of your whacky posts.

All you've done is exchange one drug for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 01:43 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,564,981 times
I wonder if people would be so sympathetic and see these three as "victims" if they looked different than they do (i.e. a different gender/race), although drugs haven't been kind to their appearance whatsoever.

Just a thought.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:52 PM

14,988 posts, read 23,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
"Hold on, this is waiting to be approved by WWAY TV3." Tell me that BEFORE I bother writing one !!!
https://www.wwaytv3.com/2018/12/24/f...-hospitalized/

My comment:

The system is designed to destroy people. They know most people who abuse drugs have underlying issues with trauma, usually a history of child abuse, anxiety and depression ect so what they do is try and inflict as much trauma, abuses anxiety and depression on anyone they catch with a drug problem. Frist the jail trauma. Kidnapped and abused by the government, then they attack your finances with fines, fees and court costs, then the set up to fail probation, then if you make it they give you a permanent record to destroy future job opportunities.

Most addicted people don't suicide or OD until after contact with that wrenched system.
Got a drug problem ? Don't get caught cause this system WANTS you dead.

70,000 deaths a year.

I guess they will be search raping women soon in the American gulags, always an excuse for more abuse from these people.

Meanwhile in Portugal ….. Want to Win the War on Drugs? Portugal Might Have the Answer | Time
I'm puzzled here - why copy an article about drug usage in jail when your topic is drug laws? Lady smuggles in bad heroin, two overdose. Solution in this case is to properly search those put in jail, don't use it as your flag article on the unfairness of drug laws, it's misleading and there are better examples. Criminals will try to smuggle in drugs into jail because it's profitable and they are criminals.

Now to the subject you are TRYING to address:
Number of OD's are increasing not because drug laws are targeting and persecuting people, in fact it's just the opposite - drugs are too easy to get in the form of prescription pharmaceuticals and it's hitting mainstream america, not the less privileged. This isn't heroin, but opiates. Doctors are prescribing it like candy because it's the easy solution for pain, people become addicted, people want more.

Now, agreed, drug laws need to be reformed. Particularly those laws that came about during the crack and marijuana fears. Glad to see the current administration has addressed that recently and have reformed federal drug laws. Now in terms of harder drugs like heroin, well I am open to reform that as well but, well I go to Europe all the time and I can't get over the sight of those lifeless eyes that hang around the train stations of Amsterdam looking for their next fix. This isn't happy people at the coffee shops, me among them, that indulge in some fine dutch weed. These other people using the H on the other hand are the walking dead. No future except for the next fix. Now I am also aware of Portugal lax laws but as I understand it the jury is still out on the success of these programs.

It seems however you seem to have more of an American social agenda that goes beyond drugs. That's OK as well, but remember drug abuse is usually not the only crime these people in jail are guilty of. It's usually rape, murder, assault, burglary, armed robbery. Drugs are not a cause, it's a symptom of being a criminal. If it's drugs alone OK, we do have social programs to deal with addicts. But for some, take aways the drugs, and they are still criminals. A criminal that abuses drugs as a pastime is still a criminal.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:40 PM

50,282 posts, read 35,918,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I wonder if people would be so sympathetic and see these three as "victims" if they looked different than they do (i.e. a different gender/race), although drugs haven't been kind to their appearance whatsoever.

Just a thought.
We already know they wouldn't. When it was a black community, and the crack epidemic decimating communities, "lock them up!" was the only refrain.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
This argument only goes so far, though. The idea that hard drugs can be decriminalized and that will somehow end cartels, smuggling and widespread use (through almost any combination of factors) is almost certainly wrong. Look at the history of alcohol up to Prohibition, in a US that had very few laws controlling sale or consumption: the consumption rate and number of heavy users was immense - far higher in population percentage than any time since. While the writings of the temperance movements are often overwrought and based on religious injunctions, they are not wrong in describing the scale and destruction of the alcohol epidemic.

People are going to abuse substances. There is no one approach that will limit the number who do so and best accommodate and care for those who reach destructive levels of use. But legalization/decriminalization etc. as so often proposed is not, by itself, any path to a solution. It just rearranges the problem.
I would appreciate some links to show that alcohol consumption was significantly higher before prohibition than any other time. I cannot find corroborating evidence, and in fact this link has a table that shows alcohol consumption was already much lower in 1921 than it's height in 1910 https://object.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa157.pdf.

Look up how many people died from tainted homemade alcohol, too. It's a lot.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm puzzled here - why copy an article about drug usage in jail when your topic is drug laws? Lady smuggles in bad heroin, two overdose. Solution in this case is to properly search those put in jail, don't use it as your flag article on the unfairness of drug laws, it's misleading and there are better examples. Criminals will try to smuggle in drugs into jail because it's profitable and they are criminals.

Now to the subject you are TRYING to address:
Number of OD's are increasing not because drug laws are targeting and persecuting people, in fact it's just the opposite - drugs are too easy to get in the form of prescription pharmaceuticals and it's hitting mainstream america, not the less privileged. This isn't heroin, but opiates. Doctors are prescribing it like candy because it's the easy solution for pain, people become addicted, people want more.

Now, agreed, drug laws need to be reformed. Particularly those laws that came about during the crack and marijuana fears. Glad to see the current administration has addressed that recently and have reformed federal drug laws. Now in terms of harder drugs like heroin, well I am open to reform that as well but, well I go to Europe all the time and I can't get over the sight of those lifeless eyes that hang around the train stations of Amsterdam looking for their next fix. This isn't happy people at the coffee shops, me among them, that indulge in some fine dutch weed. These other people using the H on the other hand are the walking dead. No future except for the next fix. Now I am also aware of Portugal lax laws but as I understand it the jury is still out on the success of these programs.

It seems however you seem to have more of an American social agenda that goes beyond drugs. That's OK as well, but remember drug abuse is usually not the only crime these people in jail are guilty of. It's usually rape, murder, assault, burglary, armed robbery. Drugs are not a cause, it's a symptom of being a criminal. If it's drugs alone OK, we do have social programs to deal with addicts. But for some, take aways the drugs, and they are still criminals. A criminal that abuses drugs as a pastime is still a criminal.
The bolded has not been true for several years at least now.

What federal drug laws have been reformed? The only thing I am aware of is the new criminal justice reform bill corrects the racism in sentencing that allowed crack users to get much higher sentences than those who used cocaine in powder form, but I wouldn't call that a reform of federal drug laws. I'd be happy to see reform, they should start with removing marijuana from it's ridiculous Schedule 1 classification which no one apparently has had the ba**s to do, despite the fact that most Americans are okay with it.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,688,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would appreciate some links to show that alcohol consumption was significantly higher before prohibition than any other time. I cannot find corroborating evidence, and in fact this link has a table that shows alcohol consumption was already much lower in 1921 than it's height in 1910
You may be right; I wasn't really differentiating that closely between, say, ca. 1900 and 1920. By the time of Prohibition the temperance movement had already made significant inroads.

My best source is Daniel Okrent's Last Call, which is... not immediately at hand. I will stand behind the general assertion that per-capita alcohol consumption reached peaks ca. 1870-1900 and has never returned to those levels after the Experiment. Let me see what I can find.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 PM

190 posts, read 127,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm puzzled here - why copy an article about drug usage in jail when your topic is drug laws? Lady smuggles in bad heroin, two overdose. Solution in this case is to properly search those put in jail
The solution is not to strip search rape every woman who enters jail. I say rape cause you know where they will look. Its Barbarism.

Its America you get arrested over the most trivial ****, usually its driving wile poor. Now they are going to strip search rape 100,000s of people a year so 3 or 4 people don't OD ?

That is crazy. This country is psycho.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The bolded has not been true for several years at least now.

What federal drug laws have been reformed? The only thing I am aware of is the new criminal justice reform bill corrects the racism in sentencing that allowed crack users to get much higher sentences than those who used cocaine in powder form, but I wouldn't call that a reform of federal drug laws. I'd be happy to see reform, they should start with removing marijuana from it's ridiculous Schedule 1 classification which no one apparently has had the ba**s to do, despite the fact that most Americans are okay with it.
First Step Act, signed into law by President Trump on December 12th:
  1. The bill would make retroactive the reforms enacted by the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010, which reduced the disparity between crack and powder cocaine sentences at the federal level. This could affect nearly 2,600 federal inmates, according to the Marshall Project.
  2. The bill would take several steps to ease mandatory minimum sentences under federal law. It would expand the “safety valve” that judges can use to avoid handing down mandatory minimum sentences. It would ease a “three strikes” rule so people with three or more convictions, including for drug offenses, automatically get 25 years instead of life, among other changes. It would restrict the current practice of stacking gun charges against drug offenders to add possibly decades to prison sentences. All of these changes would lead to shorter prison sentences in the future.
  3. The bill would increase “good time credits” that inmates can earn. Inmates who avoid a disciplinary record can currently get credits of up to 47 days per year incarcerated. The bill increases the cap to 54, allowing well-behaved inmates to cut their prison sentence by an additional week for each year they’re incarcerated. The change applies retroactively, which could allow some prisoners — as many as 4,000 — to qualify for release the day that the bill goes into effect.
  4. The bill would allow inmates to get “earned time credits” by participating in more vocational and rehabilitative programs. Those credits would allow them to be released early to halfway houses or home confinement. Not only could this mitigate prison overcrowding, but the hope is that the education programs will reduce the likelihood that an inmate will commit another crime once released and, as a result, reduce both crime and incarceration in the long term. (There’s research showing that education programs do reduce recidivism.)
...And it would make other changes aimed at improving conditions in prisons, including banning the shackling of women during childbirth and requiring that inmates are placed closer to their families.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...-bill-congress

Old 12-28-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
The solution is not to strip search rape every woman who enters jail. I say rape cause you know where they will look. Its Barbarism.

Its America you get arrested over the most trivial ****, usually its driving wile poor. Now they are going to strip search rape 100,000s of people a year so 3 or 4 people don't OD ?

That is crazy. This country is psycho.
I can safely say your thoughts and perspectives are quite unique. It would be "psycho" to not strip search incoming inmates. Strip searches prevent not only drugs but weapons into jails and prisons that may hurt guards or other inmates (yes you would be shocked at what they try to smuggle in through body orifices)....so obviously that ain't gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events