U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

4,386 posts, read 1,638,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'll disagree with that. They were trying to break up the fight. And one of the guys blocked the accoster from trying to grab her again.
We must have watched different videos. The video I saw showed the bozo behind her just stand there while she was getting assaulted. Then when she finally got the upperhand and she started to palmat the guy, he jumped in to protect the assailant. Then the dumbass manager showed up to ask the guy what was wrong with his order.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

4,386 posts, read 1,638,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
One of the videos I saw, the guy was described as being intoxicated...which was the first I'd heard about that.
It's in the police report. Indication of Alcohol Influence: Yes.

https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/Pu...cumentGroups=0

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

1,814 posts, read 655,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
People who are not at the scene can get very courageous about intervening in an altercation. “I would have done this or that.” What they mean is some other person should intervene. So let’s say someone intervenes. Gets hurt in process or even shot fatally. Think someone will intervene to pay your medical bills or your funeral? Hold your breath. I recall some years ago three young men were killed while attempting to intervene in an assault. Cops are trained and legally armed to get involved but a citizen isn’t and in our culture can get sued for their trouble. No thanks. Good samaritans make a good news story but it can have negative outcomes. When something crazy happens get away.
People behind keyboards are generally very tough... behind keyboards.

How many times have I heard someone comment something like this:
"If so and so had done that to my [insert family member here], they'd be walking out of court in a body bag!"

Yet how often does that sort of vigilantism happen? Almost never. It's not even about coldly calculating the odds. People just talk tough when they know they're safe and don't have to walk the walk.

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

4,118 posts, read 2,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
was thinking this would be a sexual assault based on identifying gender, but it was plain assault

does it matter that the victim was a female?
[i'm a black male]i think the insinuation is that most men are larger and stronger than most women that he knew he had the edge and took advantage of her ?

some of the articles i've seen mentioned the races of each though he didnt use any racial language. maybe the insinuation that caucasions have been using the police to threaten black persons all year ?

[unrelated]: why is the video captured in stupid 640x1080 vertical aspect ratio ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; Yesterday at 03:48 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

4,763 posts, read 1,666,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
[i'm a black male]i think the insinuation is that most men are larger and stronger than most women that he knew he had the edge and took advantage of her ?

some of the articles i've seen mentioned the races of each though he didnt use any racial language. maybe the insinuation that caucasions have been using the police to threaten black persons all year ?

[unrelated]: why is the video captured in stupid 480x1920 aspect ratio ?

The first time I saw the video, it was on Facebook, and a lot of the comments tried to make it about white oppression, and the fact that this happened in a southern state, and this is just how it is, but this time, the black girl just wasn't having it.

One commentor even tried to say that the manager was a Ku Klux Klan member, and that's why he didn't jump in to help her. When challenged on his statement, he then went on to say that's just the way it is in the south, and totally ignored the fact that he said the manager was a Ku Klux Klan member. So...yeah, a lot of people tried to make it about race.

And then one guy tried to make it about how the homeless are treated horribly...and is it any wonder he snapped...so there was that faction too.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,772,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not blame the other employees for their reaction, given the way companies fire people for such trivial things. They probably hesitated thinking if they touched the customer, they will be violating some policy somewhere and get fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
And that's a shame and a fair indication that an employer has crossed the line into being more concerned with legalese than protecting their employees and customers.
Considering that McDonald's is not allowing the employees in this video to even speak to media or the public (that's what one of the news videos says), I'm pretty sure that they (corporate) have pretty specific protocols on how to deal with customer altercations. So I agree with boxus.

McDonald's videos featuring physical altercations between clerks and customers have been a thing on YouTube and all other social platforms for a long while. Regardless of who started it, McDonald's image is dinged. And there is real danger of someone getting injured on the site, whether it's the customer or the employee. I would not be surprised if, because of this, there are explicit directives in the employee handbook about deescalation and minimizing contact with customers.

And I feel dirty defending a giant corporation, but I think McDonald's has good reason to be concerned with legalese. There is an entire Wiki page dedicated solely to McDonald's legal cases. There's the infamous coffee lawsuit which we all know about...that one's a little more complicated than most people realize, but the bottom line is that McDonald's got sued. And that's just one case out of many. This is the latest one: https://www.ajc.com/news/national/cu...CVuQ5ww7KbNaL/

Last edited by Docendo discimus; Yesterday at 05:37 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,772,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Not only did her good for nothing co-workers not come to her aid, but they aided the assailant to get away, by pulling her off of him. Talk about a total lack of support. The manager should be fired. He has no clue how to deal with a crime in progress. He was still in customer service mode.
Quote:
They weren't helping her. They were helping the assailant, by pulling her off of him. None of them did one single thing to help her.
Disagree.

Like a previous post already stated, the whole incident took place within 1 minute. The male coworker standing behind the female coworker actually only took about 4-5 seconds to jump into action.

We don't see what that male employee is doing during those 4-5 seconds because he is out of frame. But from what I can tell, he is calling out to his coworkers for backup, and they all descend on the scene en masse. You don't now how you're going to react to a situation until you are actually in it.

I don't think the male coworker was aiding the assailant. I think he was trying to pull his coworker as far away from the assailant as possible. I think that was the right thing to do, for her safety. It looked like that a-hole was trying to pull her shirt down at one point. He would not let go of her. The best thing to do was to get her out of his grip.

Also, this happened in Florida, the Stand Your Ground state. All of those people behind the counter are probably thinking, "What if this nut has a gun?" It would be very easy, and not one bit surprising, for this assailant to spin a narrative of "A bunch of THUGS ganged up on me and made me fear for my safety!" as justification to pull out a gun, and stand his ground. Certainly wouldn't be the first time in Florida.

This a-hole clearly thinks that he is in the right. At the end of the video, he is demanding a refund and demanding for the female employee to be fired. He doesn't think what he did was in any way wrong. Luckily, he did not have a gun. But I'm betting that one of the things going through the heads of the people behind the counter is, "What if?", including the manager. I think he is trying to deescalate the situation as much as possible, not for customer service purposes, but to get the perpetrator out of there as quickly and safely as possible. Yeah, maybe he'll get away before you can call the cops, but better that, than a bunch of people getting shot up, in case he does have a gun.

In November, there was another McDonald's incident (in Minnesota), where a customer pulled a gun on a group of black teenagers.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

2,173 posts, read 818,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
That's those black "kings" everyone always speaks about. Do nothing to defend a black woman who may need help. Oh well....

Anyway, that guy picked the wrong one to mess with that day. He got his butt whipped. He didn't see that coming.
He didn't "get his butt whipped". The girl was struggling against his grip, she was desperately trying to get loose, the drunken pig held on, she finally got free with the -belated- aid of a co worker who grabbed HER instead of punching the assailant. Sickening to watch.

Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM

7,945 posts, read 5,569,646 times
Wow! Unbelievable the force on how he pulled her tiny body over that counter. That psycho better spend significant time in jail for what he did.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM

17,882 posts, read 12,602,076 times
Quote:
Not only did her good for nothing co-workers not come to her aid, but they aided the assailant to get away, by pulling her off of him. Talk about a total lack of support. The manager should be fired. He has no clue how to deal with a crime in progress. He was still in customer service mode.
Quote:
They weren't helping her. They were helping the assailant, by pulling her off of him. None of them did one single thing to help her.
Aren’t you the person who said an off duty police officer shouldn’t have intervened during a crime and now got somehow are expecting a McDonald’s working to intervene? Interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or