U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:50 AM

7,213 posts, read 4,698,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Sick that someone raped her, but why do we keep comatose vegetables alive for decades+? I hope my family would have the decency to pull the plug on me well before a decade was up. What a waste of money and resources.
I agree. If the person is in a vegetative state then he/she will have no life whatsoever. It is best to let that person go.

I hope that the family is paying this with their health insurance and not public funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:52 AM

7,549 posts, read 2,966,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Probable cause relates to a suspect, not the crime. You need to find probable cause for an individual, not an entire class of people.
In my observation, this is exactly what they do in cases like this.

DNA test all males who had access to her. Because that IS probable cause.

There was a case here in Central Texas where a woman in a facility like that had been sexually assaulted; they DNA tested all male employees and although one of the employees was NOT a match for the semen on her, he was a match to another unrelated sex assault case being investigated. So that's when it got interesting, the rights of the accused.

Sexual assault isn't all that uncommon in facilities like this; what makes it unusual is that the woman became pregnant and carried a full term healthy baby unnoticed by caregivers.

Old Today, 10:56 AM

1,078 posts, read 585,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is plenty of probable cause. This was rape, which is a crime.

They should do a DNA test on every male worker (nurse, aide, etc.) who came in that woman's room about 9 months prior. These places also have cameras and they can pull that information too.
Wait...why just test the male workers?? In these "carefree" times there may be a male disguising himself as a female (IDs as a female), a transgender freak or some other "X" gender mutation who could be responsible. Stop with your narrow minded ancient opinion from a time when a male was a male and a female a female!!(Btw...a crazed female who desperately wanted a baby could have impregnated her with a sample from a male using a turkey baster....stranger things have happened).

BTW....DNA testing is a seizure under the 4th amendment....an employer cannot force anyone to submit to such test and the police cannot without a warrant for any individual person (and there has to be reasonable proof/evidence that THAT person is a viable suspect - can't be done on just anyone as a fishing expedition). They can ask for voluntary agreement though but, obviously, they may not do anything.

Old Today, 11:07 AM

7,549 posts, read 2,966,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Wait...why just test the male workers?? In these "carefree" times there may be a male disguising himself as a female (IDs as a female), a transgender freak or some other "X" gender mutation who could be responsible. Stop with your narrow minded ancient opinion from a time when a male was a male and a female a female!!(Btw...a crazed female who desperately wanted a baby could have impregnated her with a sample from a male using a turkey baster....stranger things have happened).

BTW....DNA testing is a seizure under the 4th amendment....an employer cannot force anyone to submit to such test and the police cannot without a warrant for any individual person (and there has to be reasonable proof/evidence that THAT person is a viable suspect - can't be done on just anyone as a fishing expedition). They can ask for voluntary agreement though but, obviously, they may not do anything.
You'd think that was true, but it isn't. This happens with some frequency. I guess an employee could refuse, but that would certainly appear to look guilty.

Old Today, 11:14 AM

1,078 posts, read 585,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You'd think that was true, but it isn't. This happens with some frequency. I guess an employee could refuse, but that would certainly appear to look guilty.
What are you referring to?? If it's the DNA testing you're dead wrong.....and stop spreading misinformation if you're not up on the legalities:

Look up "The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA)." The Act states that it is "...illegal for an employer to request, require, or purchase genetic information with respect to an employee.

News report here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-you...cess-your-dna/

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/geneti...t-to-the-test/

Oh...and the refusal to take such a test cannot be held against any such person as a sign of guilt.

Last edited by luckyram; Today at 11:35 AM..

Old Today, 11:35 AM

202 posts, read 43,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Ik it's messed up, but I initially laughed at first too. So crazy that this even happened, luckily the child was born healthy. Now we know you don't need all those Doctor visits while pregnant.
You still do need those dr visits an its important to get those tests done to see if the child has any problems.

Old Today, 01:44 PM

8,184 posts, read 5,636,271 times
Having known three women who were in comas for many years (one, almost 30) this is about as SICK AS IT GETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Today, 01:54 PM

24,357 posts, read 31,604,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I agree. If the person is in a vegetative state then he/she will have no life whatsoever. It is best to let that person go.

I hope that the family is paying this with their health insurance and not public funds.
Medicaid is there for exactly such needs as a nursing home.

Old Today, 03:36 PM

7,213 posts, read 4,698,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Medicaid is there for exactly such needs as a nursing home.
Then medicaid is being wasted since this person is a vegetable. There is no recovery for this person so public funds (medicaid/medicare) should not be used.

Old Today, 03:57 PM

4,253 posts, read 1,918,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

This person in a “vegetative state” opens their eyes & responds to pain; they are not brain-dead. There have been people who recovered after years in a vegetative state & remember the entire experience. Letting them go means murder.

She had a near-drowning experience as a child & obviously has had a poor quality of life by the standards of many. That’s still not our call to make; we did not bring her here nor did we keep her here. We don’t get to decide when she leaves. Thank God for that; who would be next on our scale of “worth it”?

If by public funds you mean taxpayer funded; then I hope they are paying. That’s who I paid taxes for; those that have the greatest need through no fault of their own. Better than paying for someone who spent their whole life feeling entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events