U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,421,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In my observation, this is exactly what they do in cases like this.

DNA test all males who had access to her. Because that IS probable cause.

There was a case here in Central Texas where a woman in a facility like that had been sexually assaulted; they DNA tested all male employees and although one of the employees was NOT a match for the semen on her, he was a match to another unrelated sex assault case being investigated. So that's when it got interesting, the rights of the accused.

Sexual assault isn't all that uncommon in facilities like this; what makes it unusual is that the woman became pregnant and carried a full term healthy baby unnoticed by caregivers.

You don't get it. Once you zero in on a suspect and have probable cause, then you can get a warrant for a DNA test. Forcing every male to be DNA'd is a violation of their rights. You can ask, but the line is crossed when it's forced. Where do you draw the line. Or should every person get DNA'd at birth and their DNA profile entered into CODIS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,421,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You'd think that was true, but it isn't. This happens with some frequency. I guess an employee could refuse, but that would certainly appear to look guilty.

I would refuse just on principle.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

13,367 posts, read 12,040,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
This person in a “vegetative state” opens their eyes & responds to pain; they are not brain-dead. There have been people who recovered after years in a vegetative state & remember the entire experience. Letting them go means murder.

She had a near-drowning experience as a child & obviously has had a poor quality of life by the standards of many. That’s still not our call to make; we did not bring her here nor did we keep her here. We don’t get to decide when she leaves. Thank God for that; who would be next on our scale of “worth it”?

If by public funds you mean taxpayer funded; then I hope they are paying. That’s who I paid taxes for; those that have the greatest need through no fault of their own. Better than paying for someone who spent their whole life feeling entitled.
So instead of allowing or assisting her to die in a peaceful and painless manner, it's somehow better to let her linger on in a vegetative state indefinitely because maybe someday she'll come out of it and remember all the years she was raped, abused, and neglected?

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

12,001 posts, read 9,856,727 times
There is no doubt a crime was committed here. That's half the probable cause battle. This is a woman who cannot possibly consent and who clearly was raped, with the evidence being her child - whose DNA can reveal who the rapist is.

There is already a rather small pool of suspects. Any male employee who was working 9-ish months ago around the time she conceived is an automatic suspect, especially those with direct access to her. So is any male family member or other male visitors, or any other male with access to the place who was there in the window of the conception period. Some may be ruled out or some honed in on for various reasons, like after conducting interviews, reviewing video evidence, checking anyone for criminal records, looking for odd behavior, other police work that helps get answers or leads. But there is no doubt she was raped and someone with access to her raped her. Now it's just a matter of who, and there are some convincing possibilities at this point, even if there are, say, three dozen of them. One of them probably did it, and they will narrow it down before going for any warrants to obtain DNA.

This is a unique (and rare) circumstance where someone was obviously raped and there is already a pool of likely suspects given their access to her and the fact that she's in one place all the time.

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

10,429 posts, read 12,650,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Wow, that's disgusting. They should DNA test all of the male staff. And, after reading the above, all of the male patients as well.
I read this story and 2 things happened:

1. Got a sick feeling.

2. Got an overwhelming desire to bang my own head with a frying pan, to ease the shock of how twisted people can be.

Sick and depraved people in this world.

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,029,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Whew - sorry if I misunderstood your point. But even then, putting someone in "the system" is more than vengeance, or even rehabilitation. It's restitution / "justice" for past behavior, which if not forced, creates a society without consequences for actions - and that's a scary place. And probably more importantly, it hopefully prevents the Bad Guy from harming the next victim. Any damage incurred by your ex-wife's kids is on the perpetrator of the crime, not society as a whole. If Daddy did something so heinous that he was put in jail for it, that's on him, not me. Doesn't it concern you that whoever did this could be working in another facility, doing the same thing to someone else?
Heinous? While the act itself may be distasteful to you, who really suffered? Not the comatose woman, and the healthy baby was given the miracle of life. The suffering is still to come, the innocent family of the perp who you want to treat as a mass torturer. That's on you.

The justice you are demanding has the result of a couple of million Americans languishing in prison, who have done nothing heinous at all, but with needless suffering by their innocent families..

By the way, it was my ex-wife who grew up as the child of a dadddy who was in prison, so I know something about what incarceration does to families. Unintended consequences that Americans so blissfully sweep under their messy and shameful carpets, while shouting "justice". and enen worse, "closure".

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

7,549 posts, read 2,966,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
What are you referring to?? If it's the DNA testing you're dead wrong.....and stop spreading misinformation if you're not up on the legalities:

Look up "The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA)." The Act states that it is "...illegal for an employer to request, require, or purchase genetic information with respect to an employee.

News report here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/can-you...cess-your-dna/

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/geneti...t-to-the-test/

Oh...and the refusal to take such a test cannot be held against any such person as a sign of guilt.
In this case, it wouldn't be the employer requesting DNA (which I agree is illegal) it would be law enforcement investigating the rape of a comatose woman at a care facility, and my guess is, yes, they could get a warrant if forced to.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

7,549 posts, read 2,966,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I would refuse just on principle.
Well, then they'd get a warrant.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

20,800 posts, read 26,925,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Heinous? While the act itself may be distasteful to you, who really suffered? Not the comatose woman, and the healthy baby was given the miracle of life. The suffering is still to come, the innocent family of the perp who you want to treat as a mass torturer. That's on you.

The justice you are demanding has the result of a couple of million Americans languishing in prison, who have done nothing heinous at all, but with needless suffering by their innocent families..

By the way, it was my ex-wife who grew up as the child of a dadddy who was in prison, so I know something about what incarceration does to families. Unintended consequences that Americans so blissfully sweep under their messy and shameful carpets, while shouting "justice". and enen worse, "closure".
Are you kidding?

You're actually advocating for whoever did this to simply walk free so he can do this to others? You're trying to say that his family is going to suffer if he's sent to prison for committing a crime because your ex-wife's daddy was a criminal?

If I had someone that creepy in my family, I'd want him locked up so he couldn't do this, or worse, to other victims. I definitely wouldn't want this creepsickle around my children.

The comatose woman obviously suffered enough pain to cause her to cry out during the birth.

SMH.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 07:24 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

16,559 posts, read 10,152,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
There was an episode of Law & Order with this storyline. The mother of the woman wanted a grandchild and paid some dude to knock her up. Creepy.

Creepy isn't strong enough ! Yuck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events