U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2019, 11:58 PM
Status: "Loving the hillarity of CD." (set 2 days ago)
 
5,364 posts, read 2,495,210 times
Reputation: 5250

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
An underaged girl cannot prostitute herself. She is a victim, period.
Of course they can. Prostitution is simply trading sex for money. Anyone can do it, regardless of their age.

In fact, this girl had a history of trading sex for money. You know, that thing that you say she canít do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Texas
7,487 posts, read 2,758,996 times
Reputation: 15893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Of course they can. Prostitution is simply trading sex for money. Anyone can do it, regardless of their age.

In fact, this girl had a history of trading sex for money. You know, that thing that you say she canít do.
Nope. She's a minor. If you have sex with her, you go to jail but she doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 AM
Status: "Loving the hillarity of CD." (set 2 days ago)
 
5,364 posts, read 2,495,210 times
Reputation: 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Nope. She's a minor.
Nope. Minors can absolutely be prostitutes. Trading sex for money doesnít require that one be at the age of consent.

Quote:
If you have sex with her, you go to jail but she doesn't.
Of course. But a John being charged with statutory rape in no way negates the fact that the girl was prostituting herself.

In this case, she went jail, not for engaging in prostitution, but for shooting a man in the back of his head while he was asleep and stealing his property. And it is important to note that the man engaging in statutory rape does not provide justification for murder, burglary, and grand theft auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 02:36 AM
 
5,176 posts, read 2,335,973 times
Reputation: 13185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think her release is appropriate considering that she has served more time than many do for murder. And she has had an exemplary record of conduct during her incarceration.

I do not think it is appropriate to ever excuse breaking the law because of a history of abuse. I know that sounds harsh. But if you made exceptions for people who had suffered abuse as children or murdered someone because they had abused them, or those who suffer from fetal alcohol effect as she does you would have to make exceptions for the larger number of people who murder.

What about making exceptions for sexual abusers because they were abused as children and have been conditioned? You can see how crazy this kind of reasoning can get. Nearly all murderers of passion have exceptional emotional issues.

In my town alone I know of three young men who, in separate cases, went to prison for murdering their sexual abuser. It's an absolute tragedy. And one of them was murdered in prison.

But I don't see exonerating them as being an improvement to how we handle murder cases. What happens to kids who murder and get a pass? Where would that lead?

I don't think it says anywhere in our laws that you can kill someone if you have a good enough reason.
I am usually a fan of your rational and forthright opinions/facts.

Most states have the stand your ground and self defense that is well considered to be a valid plea.

Juveniles are indeed given lenient sentences in comparison to someone charged as an adult. For some convoluted reason Young persons are considered " rehabilitation worthy". True case in my area....A Brother of 12 murdered ( yes MURDERED) his 10 year old brother. Case went thru trial and hung jury..He was eventually given jail time for a way lesser charge. His parents stood by his side . Then during his parole hearing which led to his house probation for the duration of his lesser charged offense. He had a "come to Jesus" moment and laid out his absolute GUILT in planning and murdering his younger brother. His parents still think the juvenile detention center brain washed him into saying he was the actual killer.
The kid was smart.....He knew he couldnt be (double jeopardy) tried for the murder (again) and figured juvies are out by 22.

I am beyond reach when it comes to the judicial system and its topsy turvy antics. Simply because an actor/actress has an uneducated opinion ....Never mind that this 16 year old murdered a customer....I hold this loonie #Metoo Movement accountable in part for the whiplash effect of justifying a heinous atrocity...under this "victim" guise.

I agree that her time at least was in prison and not some picket line .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 AM
 
20,854 posts, read 26,951,356 times
Reputation: 14011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think it's a waste of time to explain the concepts of statutory rape and legal consent to the perverts who post on CD. They cannot grasp these concepts.
Oh hell yeah. The super-creepy vibe this place gets when certain subjects come up is...well, super-creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 02:49 AM
 
20,854 posts, read 26,951,356 times
Reputation: 14011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I am usually a fan of your rational and forthright opinions/facts.

Most states have the stand your ground and self defense that is well considered to be a valid plea.

Juveniles are indeed given lenient sentences in comparison to someone charged as an adult. For some convoluted reason Young persons are considered " rehabilitation worthy".
Cyntoia Brown was tried as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 04:01 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,424 posts, read 1,654,932 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think it's a waste of time to explain the concepts of statutory rape and legal consent to the perverts who post on CD. They cannot grasp these concepts. I'd also venture a guess that quite a few posters here have, or would (if the opportunity presented itself) have sex with a minor and think it's all okay because "she consented."

We have already seen on previous threads just how many posters believe sex with minors is perfectly okay. And that it's even "okay" for teachers to have sex with their high school students.
Whether it is perfectly OK, or not, is up to each individual person to decide for themselves. However it is perfectly legal in most of the US and most foreign countries of the world. I think what most people have a problem with is other people trying to tell them what is OK, and what is not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,424 posts, read 1,654,932 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I agree. There's more to it.
Pimping a 16yr old is manipulation. Try imagining if it was a 16yr old boy. Probably feels a whole lot creepier. It's wrong. The 16yr old is a victim.
I hate to make this a gender thing, but I have a feeling that if this had been a 16 year old runaway boy, who shot a woman in the back of her head while she slept, and stole her money and car, there would be close to zero support to get him released early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 04:18 AM
 
Location: White House, TN
5,284 posts, read 3,706,034 times
Reputation: 3298
What happened to Cyntoia Brown was terrible, but the fact is that she's still a murderer. It can't be self defense if the victim is asleep. And why did she rob the man and steal his truck? She deserves a life sentence. Personally, I wouldn't consider clemency or parole for her until she's served 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 AM
 
Location: NY>FL>VA>NC>IN
2,188 posts, read 825,025 times
Reputation: 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I hate to make this a gender thing, but I have a feeling that if this had been a 16 year old runaway boy, who shot a woman in the back of her head while she slept, and stole her money and car, there would be close to zero support to get him released early.
Agree.

As to the posts re: sexual activity with minors being "OK" or not, I can say from near 40 years of parenting and observing my kids' friends, I've seen more than a few girls as young as 12-13 who act very aggressively as far as sexual activity, and who are initiators, and oft times with older fellows. I well recall one schoolmate of my daughter's who was sexually active at age ELEVEN and bragged about it.

Whils I may personally be disgusted by this (young kids being sexually active esp w/older partners), it's naive to think that all young girls who are promiscuous/sexually active are victims. Some are, and some are certainly not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top