U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 AM
 
8,363 posts, read 4,174,212 times
Reputation: 29113

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Whils I may personally be disgusted by this (young kids being sexually active esp w/older partners), it's naive to think that all young girls who are promiscuous/sexually active are victims. Some are, and some are certainly not.
Naive or not, legally they are victims of statutory rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2019, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,313 posts, read 9,355,849 times
Reputation: 29840
Well this thread sure took a weird turn at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 AM
 
915 posts, read 957,436 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
A 16 year old cannot legally consent to sex with an adult. So it does not matter if Brown went willingly with the victim. It was still statuatory rape.
In 30 states plus the District of Columbia the age of consent is 16. This happened in one of the 12 states where it's 18, but your blanket statement is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM
 
Location: In my skin
9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Reputation: 8851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
A man purchased her as a slave for sex. She killed him. She was 16 at the time.

No, he didn't. He hired what he thought was a grown woman for consensual paid sex. Let's not peddle that ridiculous narrative. The trafficker was her pimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,313 posts, read 9,355,849 times
Reputation: 29840
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
No, he didn't. He hired what he thought was a grown woman for consensual paid sex. Let's not peddle that ridiculous narrative. The trafficker was her pimp.
If you say so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 AM
 
Location: In my skin
9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Reputation: 8851
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Naive or not, legally they are victims of statutory rape.
Not the point. 16 year olds have consensual sex all the time. They're not victims. And, while statutory rape laws should protect the vulnerable, they actually make exceptions. If that man was her husband, it would be perfectly fine. If he was her husband and she was 13, he wouldn't be breaking the law. Lawmakers literally used da lort to justify diddling children. You might want to think about that when using that law to shut down the discussion of a teen's ability to consent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:08 AM
 
Location: In my skin
9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Reputation: 8851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If you say so.
I do, because those are the facts. Don't you want the facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM
 
5,504 posts, read 3,168,169 times
Reputation: 18983
She may very well have been a victim. My point is that she was also a victimizer as are so many victims. One does not exclude the other nor justify it.

Victims still have to live by the laws we all have to follow. Extenuating circumstances are taken into consideration but don't excuse murder.

Are people here actually saying that since she was a victim she was justified in murdering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM
 
Location: In my skin
9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Reputation: 8851
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The only things I know about this case are what's in the linked article, but I have to ask - why is this a good thing?
She was a teen with a pimp and a very troubled childhood. There's a good argument for her being a threat to society with what we know. The evidence
and her actions don't align with her claims. But her sentence was far more severe than those of others her age and considering her history. It appears there was more of a focus on punishment than rehabilitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:33 AM
 
Location: In my skin
9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Reputation: 8851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
She may very well have been a victim. My point is that she was also a victimizer as are so many victims. One does not exclude the other nor justify it.

Victims still have to live by the laws we all have to follow. Extenuating circumstances are taken into consideration but don't excuse murder.

Are people here actually saying that since she was a victim she was justified in murdering?
She claims it was self defense. That makes it justified, doesn't it? I don't think it was, but that's her claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top