U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:42 AM
 
8,363 posts, read 4,174,212 times
Reputation: 29113

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
In 30 states plus the District of Columbia the age of consent is 16. This happened in one of the 12 states where it's 18, but your blanket statement is false.
I was talking about this case. It was not a US-wide blanket statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
7,245 posts, read 7,676,127 times
Reputation: 8102
If she was white would she have received the same Sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
Reputation: 71077
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
If she was white would she have received the same Sentence
This is true. There was a white 16-year-old girl, who was given the death sentence for killing someone, after some sleazy older guy somehow took custody of her, gave her drugs, and convinced her while she was drugged, to go kill someone he wanted to do away with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
Reputation: 71077
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
She claims it was self defense. That makes it justified, doesn't it? I don't think it was, but that's her claim.
It may have been self-defense, if he'd been showing her his guns in a menacing way, and if she was somehow locked into the house and couldn't escape. Wives who have shot their husbands in their sleep have said it was in self-defense, because the husband had been violent in the past, and on the day of the shooting, had said he would kill his wife. What I don't know about those cases, is whether the wife had any alternative place to go: a safe house, a relative, money to simply flee and relocate elsewhere, etc. But in the cases that have been reported on (I think 60 Minutes covered one, many years ago), the self-defense plea didn't spare them from jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 11:23 AM
 
Location: In my skin
9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Reputation: 8851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It may have been self-defense, if he'd been showing her his guns in a menacing way, and if she was somehow locked into the house and couldn't escape. Wives who have shot their husbands in their sleep have said it was in self-defense, because the husband had been violent in the past, and on the day of the shooting, had said he would kill his wife. What I don't know about those cases, is whether the wife had any alternative place to go: a safe house, a relative, money to simply flee and relocate elsewhere, etc. But in the cases that have been reported on (I think 60 Minutes covered one, many years ago), the self-defense plea didn't spare them from jail.
Forensics suggest he was asleep when he was shot in the back of the head. That's not a threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM
 
15,577 posts, read 9,007,160 times
Reputation: 26183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Revising history seems to be popular these days. So many people buy into every fake news story that comes along without even investigating the facts. The investigation showed that it was cool blooded murder, not self defence. The police were and still are convinced, that she is a cold blooded murderer, the jury and the judge were convinced that she was a cold blooded murderer, and she was convicted. But then she gets a good PR team to convince the public that she was the victim, and she gets off.

If you want to get away with murder these days, don't even waste your money on a good lawyer, spend it on a PR team.

I think this is a really bad precedent. But it looks like it's going to be the future of our legal system in this country.
It really is bad, but this is what happens when you have celebrities and others blindly supporting criminals while totally ignoring the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Her pimp made her go out and earn some money. She was approached by the now-dead guy. IMO based on the info I've seen so far, she wasn't "willingly" doing anything.

Someone said earlier, she came from a loving foster home. I'd like more credible info on the nature of the foster home, and her relationship with the foster parent/s.

Anyway, I don't think we'll ever know for sure her motives for killing the guy. She said she was scared, because he was behaving strangely, showing her his guns, and so on.

BTW, why would he pay for a prostitute, then go to sleep? Wasn't he worried she'd walk out the door? Did he lock himself and her in, somehow? Or was the display of guns and crazy talk intended to frighten her, so she wouldn't try to leave? It doesn't make sense.
You did not read the lead investigator's letter which I posted earlier. It answers all of your questions.

Brown did indeed willingly go with the victim to rob him. The witness that went to the police to report her stated that Brown and her boyfriend waited a week for someone to rob. Brown had a history of robbing people. She was not mentally challenged, and her age is absolutely no excuse for her years of criminal behavior.

And at no point did the victim threaten or hurt Brown. He bought her food to eat at Sonic's, which they ate at his home. They both went to bed but she said they did not have sex. She claimed he repeatedly got out of bed and reached for something which spooked her and she shot in self defense. Forensics showed this did not match the position of the body, as the victim was in a sleeping position with his hands under his head, and he was shot in the back of his head.

There is nothing to indicate the victim even knew her true age. When Brown was arrested, she told police she was 19 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
Reputation: 71077
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Forensics suggest he was asleep when he was shot in the back of the head. That's not a threat.
No one's arguing she didn't shoot him when he was asleep. Sometimes shooting a guy when he's sleeping is the only recourse for women whose lives have been threatened by someone who's violent and armed, going by past cases. That was my point. But we're still missing some important info about this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:37 PM
 
Location: 912 feet above sea level
1,835 posts, read 664,806 times
Reputation: 10279
This should send a chill up the spine of everyone...

Spoiler
...who frequents underage prostitutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: In my skin
9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Reputation: 8851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one's arguing she didn't shoot him when he was asleep. Sometimes shooting a guy when he's sleeping is the only recourse for women whose lives have been threatened by someone who's violent and armed, going by past cases. That was my point. But we're still missing some important info about this case.
Sure, she could have snapped, but it's not likely. In addition to killing him while he was asleep, she left with his wallet and guns and later told a friend she wanted to go back to the house to get more items. This is not the behavior of someone who was afraid for her life and just killed someone in self-defense. It sounds more like depraved indifference.

It could be that she was threatened by her pimp to make more money and she did this to avoid being beaten again. It could just be a blatant disregard for human life. Either way, the evidence does not align with her claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 01:11 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
Reputation: 71077
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Sure, she could have snapped, but it's not likely. In addition to killing him while he was asleep, she left with his wallet and guns and later told a friend she wanted to go back to the house to get more items. This is not the behavior of someone who was afraid for her life and just killed someone in self-defense. It sounds more like depraved indifference.

It could be that she was threatened by her pimp to make more money and she did this to avoid being beaten again. It could just be a blatant disregard for human life. Either way, the evidence does not align with her claims.
OK, after reading the detective's statement just now, I would say the situation is still ambiguous. The info he provides doesn't rule out the possibility that her pimp was threatening her to make more money. In fact, part of the statement supports that possibility. But it also looks like the pimp's plan didn't include her killing someone for a robbery. It sounds like she decided, out of anger at her pimp and at her life, that she would kill the next guy to pick her up. And some time after she did that, she was struck with the horror of what she'd done.

It's still unknown, why her adoptive mother didn't report her missing. That raises a lot of questions, the least of which are: how long had she been with the adoptive family, and how did she get there? Was she taken from her birth family by CPS?

I don't see why a governor would grant someone clemency, just because some big names requested it. Not even elected officials of any kind, or anyone else with any serious weight, but some celebrities. Maybe because at that point, the issue had become political?

Well, let's see what she chooses to do with the rest of her life. Did she use her jail time to complete a GED and get some higher education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top