U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 PM

8,363 posts, read 4,174,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, let's see what she chooses to do with the rest of her life. Did she use her jail time to complete a GED and get some higher education?
She has one course left to finish her bachelors, which she expects to complete before her scheduled release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 01:26 PM

74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
She has one course left to finish her bachelors, which she expects to complete before her scheduled release.
Thank you for this info. (I couldn't rep you.)

Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 PM

9,026 posts, read 14,015,808 times
Quote:
OK, after reading the detective's statement just now, I would say the situation is still ambiguous. The info he provides doesn't rule out the possibility that her pimp was threatening her to make more money. In fact, part of the statement supports that possibility. But it also looks like the pimp's plan didn't include her killing someone for a robbery. It sounds like she decided, out of anger at her pimp and at her life, that she would kill the next guy to pick her up. And some time after she did that, she was struck with the horror of what she'd done.

It's still unknown, why her adoptive mother didn't report her missing. That raises a lot of questions, the least of which are: how long had she been with the adoptive family, and how did she get there? Was she taken from her birth family by CPS?

I don't see why a governor would grant someone clemency, just because some big names requested it. Not even elected officials of any kind, or anyone else with any serious weight, but some celebrities. Maybe because at that point, the issue had become political?

Well, let's see what she chooses to do with the rest of her life. Did she use her jail time to complete a GED and get some higher education?
She did get a degree. And 15 years is a long time. As much as I hate that so many of these celebrities don't really care about the details, I'm glad they shone a light on this case. It was worthy of attention and highlights the problem wrt to the judicial system and people of color.

You should watch the documentary, though. It's pretty moving. I think it's still on YouTube.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 PM

10,673 posts, read 7,770,684 times
Quote:
Thank you for this info. (I couldn't rep you.)
I rep'd him for you. But I couldn't rep you.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM

13,600 posts, read 12,522,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What was he doing alone with a teenage girl in his home?
As if he knew here age, lol.

Even at that, still not a reason to murder someone.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:05 PM

13,600 posts, read 12,522,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
If she was white would she have received the same Sentence
Yes, but there would have been no one advocating for her to get released.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, but there would have been no one advocating for her to get released.
Not true. There have been cases involving White underage teen girls who were tried as adults, as was Cyntoia, at least one of women was given a much worse sentence, and who did have people advocating for them.

It's easy to roll such statements as yours off the tongue, but they often have no relation to reality.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:37 PM

4,278 posts, read 1,930,512 times
Quote:
And some time after she did that, she was struck with the horror of what she'd done.
I didn't see any indication of horror or regret or even second thoughts. From the letter, it sounds like she bragged about it to intimidate a witness:

Quote:
"Mr Reed stated Cyntoia called him & said; 'You better stop running your ******* mouth or I'll get you too."
... and was laughing about what she had done:

Quote:
"Ms. Brown told the person she killed a man & was being charged with Murder. She began laughing & the person she was speaking to didn't believe her. Ms. Brown gave Det. Baltimore the telephone & he told the person it was true."
Quote:
It's still unknown, why her adoptive mother didn't report her missing.
I wondered that too & then it dawned on me. She was probably terrified of Cyntoia & the last thing she would do is to report her missing. Maybe she was afraid they'd find her & send her home.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I didn't see any indication of horror or regret or even second thoughts.
I was referring to months, or a year later, when she called her adoptive mother from jail, and said she'd killed someone, "I executed him", she was saying. As if it finally sank in, and she was trying to express that to her mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi;
I wondered that too & then it dawned on me. She was probably terrified of Cyntoia & the last thing she would do is to report her missing. Maybe she was afraid they'd find her & send her home.
It's as good a guess as any. C. could have been a problem child the the mother couldn't handle. Or she might have run away before, and this time, the mother gave up.

I wonder if she ever got any psychotherapy, after being adopted. Apparently it was known that she came from an abusive birth family? There must have been a lot of unresolved trauma and anger, there. Possibly compound PTSD, and who knows what else.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:57 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,674,472 times
Good for her I also heard she almost has her bachelors degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events