Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You're talking about one person and people like him.

I'm talking about the overall rental market that becomes more expensive. Not just the relative few who "win".
Again, I do not think it has raised rents across the board. You can only go as high as the market will bear. This area is obviously not a high income area, so if they raise the rents higher to make up for long timers like my brother, they would just have many many more empty apartments. My brother may have been homeless if he was not in a rent controlled apartment. He had no choice when he got divorced, which was not his choice. He was supporting himself and an entire family and another home on an auto mechanic salary. If rent control keeps people from being homeless, I’m all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 04:46 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I think there's more people affected by greedy landlords than there are landlords affected by poor people.
Ah. Quite the lovely adjective you've chosen: greedy. Would your conclusion be different if we substituted that adjective out and in its place put, say, "honest" or "upstanding" or "fair" or "kind-hearted" or "law-abiding" or any other descriptor?

Quote:
Why should a single individual be allowed to affect the lives of so many ?
Fascinating that you phrase that in a "when did you stop beating your wife" style of inquiry. It doesn't stand up to more advanced analysis. There is a little thing called "property rights" that accrue to the owner of any asset.

Quote:
In my state they are allowed to act as intrusive and despicable as they want, pretty much. Some new greedy landlords bought our apartment almost a year ago and it's been nonstop renovations (there went the quality of life for the residents, but who cares about THAT, right ?) and constant "memos" sent out to the tenants, at least once a week...with things highlighted in different shades of highlighter. It's annoying. We now feel as if we are employees rather than people paying a HUGE amount of money in exchange for the small space 3 adults have to live in.
Wait. Let me get this straight. You're complaining about your landlord doing the right thing by maintaining and renovating the property, when the alternative is to let it slide into a state of shabby disrepair? No doubt you would also complain about a hypothetical other landlord who let the apartment go to seed.

When were you first diagnosed as a chronic malcontent?

Old 03-25-2019, 01:00 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Ah. Quite the lovely adjective you've chosen: greedy. Would your conclusion be different if we substituted that adjective out and in its place put, say, "honest" or "upstanding" or "fair" or "kind-hearted" or "law-abiding" or any other descriptor?

Fascinating that you phrase that in a "when did you stop beating your wife" style of inquiry. It doesn't stand up to more advanced analysis. There is a little thing called "property rights" that accrue to the owner of any asset.

Wait. Let me get this straight. You're complaining about your landlord doing the right thing by maintaining and renovating the property, when the alternative is to let it slide into a state of shabby disrepair? No doubt you would also complain about a hypothetical other landlord who let the apartment go to seed.

When were you first diagnosed as a chronic malcontent?
Personal attacks, really ? Are you like this with all posters who disagree with you ? I really don't care about landlord privilege...what I care about are a building full of people being treated as employees, with the constant sending of highlighted memos. Which you choose to ignore of course. Oh, and you can GFY. Have a nice day !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events