U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 3,700,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think another reason for homelessness though that no one has mentioned, is the requirement now of credit checks before you can rent, and the increasing number of people with poor credit from having fallen on hard times whether due to illness or job loss.
That's a really good point. It can take a long time to repair a poor credit score; if the person must move during that time, the housing options open to him/her may range from poor to completely non-existent.

It's become much harder in modern society, with our computerized records and electronic databases, to get a fresh start after falling into hard times. Just moving to a new city doesn't work any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

21,224 posts, read 22,876,002 times
When I was in my mid fifties and laid off, I nearly became homeless. Very long story short, it took two years to find a fairly decent paying job. Even so it was only by sheer luck of finding a landlord who didnít charge the average high rent for Portland, OR where I was living at the time that I was able to have a roof over my head

There are many things that contribute to homelessness but salaries that donít keep up with the ever increasing rent costs is a big part of it.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

4,645 posts, read 1,537,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There are many things that contribute to homelessness but salaries that donít keep up with the ever increasing rent costs is a big part of it.
This thread is about the "rapid increase" - and I don't think there's been any notable increase in either mental illness or drug use. Spiraling rents and housing costs, yes.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

214 posts, read 302,528 times
Just finished reading a book called "Nomadland". The author wrote about the dramatic increase in people living in vans and RV's, especially after the 2008-2011 recession. Reading some of the stories of the people who lost everything made me realize how vulnerable so many people are in the nation.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

3,677 posts, read 3,436,975 times
These stories about single people becoming homeless when the cheap place they were renting came to an end, or when they broke up with the person who was supporting them - I just don't get it. "It costs so much to rent an apartment!" I couldn't afford my own apartment for many years - I rented a room in a group house for about 6 years, before I could afford a third floor apartment in someone's single family home - cheapest way I could have my own place. And the neighborhoods were terrible. I did what I had to do. Single people can rent a room in a shared apartment or a shared house. Single mothers with young children can team up with another single mother with young kids, and rent an apartment together for much less than it would cost them to rent their own place.

If you can't afford to rent a room in a group house in an area, then you just cannot afford to live in that area, and should move to a cheaper city. I know a young man on SSI for a mental health disorder. He moved to a very inexpensive city in the Southwest, where he could rent a one bedroom apt for $400. His SSI check of about $740, plus food stamps, is enough to live on there in his own apartment.

Old Today, 05:55 AM

13,745 posts, read 10,967,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
These stories about single people becoming homeless when the cheap place they were renting came to an end, or when they broke up with the person who was supporting them - I just don't get it. "It costs so much to rent an apartment!" I couldn't afford my own apartment for many years - I rented a room in a group house for about 6 years, before I could afford a third floor apartment in someone's single family home - cheapest way I could have my own place. And the neighborhoods were terrible. I did what I had to do. Single people can rent a room in a shared apartment or a shared house. Single mothers with young children can team up with another single mother with young kids, and rent an apartment together for much less than it would cost them to rent their own place.

If you can't afford to rent a room in a group house in an area, then you just cannot afford to live in that area, and should move to a cheaper city. I know a young man on SSI for a mental health disorder. He moved to a very inexpensive city in the Southwest, where he could rent a one bedroom apt for $400. His SSI check of about $740, plus food stamps, is enough to live on there in his own apartment.
When I had a job that moved and I needed more time for my pension; I rented a bed. I still had my house two and a half hours away. But I needed a place during the week that did not cost that much.

There are different options available for those that seek those options. The problem is that many do not/will not look. And then there are many that will not/can not work when they do have options.

Old Today, 07:14 AM

24,472 posts, read 31,690,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its a real problem, and despite the usual discussions by elected officials to solve the problem nothing changes. Tgere is not one place in the country where minimum wage gets a person an apartment.
I have never known that to be the case. When I moved out from my parents and got my first apartment, there is no way I could have paid for it on my own, and I was making far more than minimum wage!!! I had to have a roomate for many many years until I was making enough to afford housing on my own. I was nearly 30. Why do we expect minimum wage to cover one's cost of housing?

Old Today, 07:17 AM

24,472 posts, read 31,690,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is the problem; it is hard to regress to a point where we could keep the homeless problem to a minimum. I do not see the large state run mental health hospitals opening again. While many of us know that we need them; it will not happen. Any mental hospital would not be just a mental hospital; it would have to render other medical treatments and it would also have to supply interpreters. Then we would have the problem where the working poor are supporting all those that never supported themselves. You also have the legal problems, like you point out, and more government.

Homelessness is a growing problem and we will have to do something. I just hope that there is a solution, where the ones that would receive any benefits, also have to contribute.
We do, for sure. In my own family we lament this lack of such a facility, as there is a desperate need. It's awful that so many families have no where to turn for this kind of help.

Old Today, 07:44 AM

13,745 posts, read 10,967,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
We do, for sure. In my own family we lament this lack of such a facility, as there is a desperate need. It's awful that so many families have no where to turn for this kind of help.
They are busy building a new rehab facility close to my house. I have heard (I'm not sure) that the cost to stay there is about $30K/month. Online it says from $20 to $30K/month. Who pays for this? Drug addicts don't have that kind of money; unless they are also selling. So the money has to come from the taxpayers. When looking at the cost of this treatment they mention insurance plans and Medicare/Medicaid and ACA. Whether it is $240K or $360K; that is a lot of money spent on an individual in a year. Of course most of the time the people are only in for a short time and released to half way homes.

But my feeling is that we could never afford state operated mental facilities unless we rethought the scope of the treatment and limited the medical cost. But, by cutting back on the services provided, we could turn those facilities into the ones we shut down for humanitarian reasons. We need people that think outside the box so we could create a new system.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

28,583 posts, read 12,095,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They are busy building a new rehab facility close to my house. I have heard (I'm not sure) that the cost to stay there is about $30K/month. Online it says from $20 to $30K/month. Who pays for this? Drug addicts don't have that kind of money; unless they are also selling. So the money has to come from the taxpayers. When looking at the cost of this treatment they mention insurance plans and Medicare/Medicaid and ACA. Whether it is $240K or $360K; that is a lot of money spent on an individual in a year. Of course most of the time the people are only in for a short time and released to half way homes.

But my feeling is that we could never afford state operated mental facilities unless we rethought the scope of the treatment and limited the medical cost. But, by cutting back on the services provided, we could turn those facilities into the ones we shut down for humanitarian reasons. We need people that think outside the box so we could create a new system.
I don't think any insurer including medicaid or medicare will pay anywhere close to those amounts. But you're right it's crazy to think that we could afford to hospitalize tens of thousands of drug addicts, let alone the mentally ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or