U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

3,259 posts, read 1,673,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm kind of sorry to express this, because I like you, Suburban guy.

But I have to say, this picture is disturbing. It's disturbing to take photos of dead animals with their bloody tongues hanging out, as if we are insensitive conquerers. It's disturbing to take pictures of stringers of fish, as conquerers. I see it, and see it, and see it. Bloody animals, bloody fish on stringers, with smiling people, giggling people.

I get it. We're carnivores, as I am. I'm just disturbed to see dead animals and fish on stringers and smiling joyful proud conquerers.

IMHO, this will be the next generation's WHAT??? issue. Just as those of this generation can't understand slavery, and can't understand different water fountains and restrooms for blacks vs whites, and can't understand hating or killing gays, and wonder why in the world Germany turned their backs on Jews, I think the next generation won't understand giggling and bragging, and taking pictures with dead animals bloody and their tongues sticking out.

It just seems we need to be more respectful of the dead animals we've killed to eat. Enough giggling and bragging, and ignoring their painful deaths.
Are you really comparing shooting a deer to slavery, racism, and the holocaust. Holy shnikey. She harvests the deer. She isn't just shooting for sport. Also, that picture was hardly gross. The deer were laying in the bed of the truck. If that makes you queasy you should go visit a slaughterhouse. No comparison. Enjoy your next hamburger and don't think about where it came from. The hamburger Gods created it out of thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

24,503 posts, read 31,726,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
thoughts and prayers
Thanks... but for what?

Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Hunting and killing animals when you have no other way if feeding yourself is fine. Doing it for sport whether not you eat the game is another.
Seriously? You must live a very sheltered life.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Wonder what the bag limit is where she is, she could be in trouble if she is only allowed one deer.

Man there ought to not be any limits on white-tailed deer - at least not around here. They are so overpopulated it's just ridiculous. There is a body shop not far from me that gets most of its business from towing and repairing cars that have hit deer. My sister has hit one twice, my nephew once, my cousin totaled her car when she hit one. And if you talk to the farmers....oy vey!

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

17,966 posts, read 22,281,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Vegans can be so tiresome.

That's an amazing old lady. Sometimes I wonder if we don't get old until we sit down and allow ourselves to become old. She is up and working and looks like she is good for several more hunting seasons.
Who's vegan? I am not. Neither is ClaraC.

It's about the pictures of people with some slumped over poor beat - IDC if it's a giraffe or a deer. It's cruel and tasteless.

There are people who hunt and fish for their food. I live in OH, not far from Appalachia - actually part of OH is in Appalachia, and I understand the need for food.

What I don't understand is gloating about killing.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

21,397 posts, read 26,711,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
.........What I don't understand is gloating about killing.

Am I have to wonder why you opened the link and looked if hunting pictures bother you. It clearly labeled that it is about shooting and killing two deer. Were you expecting to find a photo of two fluffy lambs eating sunflowers?

There is saying: photos or it never happened. If there were no photos, there would be lots of disbelief because there was no proof.

People who hunt are going to take photos, and if you know that it bothers you, put just a few seconds into evaluating the title of the link and stay away from hunting photos and hunting articles. It's really not that difficult to avoid the photos.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Does this attitude legitimately exist?
I'm not even sure you people are on the correct planet.

People have been taking pictures of thier hunt since we scratched images on cave walls.
Yes. It obviously does exist. And not only does it exist, it's prevalent. Most "scary" to people who are confounded by this "attitude" is that OUR attitude is growing, especially among younger people.

I go as far as to say this "attitude" is the prevailing attitude.

People who are OK with this and celebrate this are in the distinct minority.

And many omnivores are also disgusted with this "attitude".

I am neither vegan or vegetarian.

A friend who is a real estate broker broker told me that it's become increasingly difficult to sell and show homes that display taxidermy. She asks people to remove them because they turn off buyers.

People just don't find dead animal heads to be tasteful or cheerful. They find it sad.

I do too.

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Am I have to wonder why you opened the link and looked if hunting pictures bother you. It clearly labeled that it is about shooting and killing two deer. Were you expecting to find a photo of two fluffy lambs eating sunflowers?

There is saying: photos or it never happened. If there were no photos, there would be lots of disbelief because there was no proof.

People who hunt are going to take photos, and if you know that it bothers you, put just a few seconds into evaluating the title of the link and stay away from hunting photos and hunting articles. It's really not that difficult to avoid the photos.
Actually, I did not look. I was interested in the thread.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

5,996 posts, read 1,439,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Seriously? You must live a very sheltered life.
I just don't see the sport in gunning down a defenseless animal. Where I live borders National Forest land and I see wildlife daily outside my door, like Deer, Javalina and Coyotes. But I guess I live a sheltered life because I have to desire to kill any of them.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

7,809 posts, read 2,475,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Does this attitude legitimately exist?
I'm not even sure you people are on the correct planet.

People have been taking pictures of thier hunt since we scratched images on cave walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. It obviously does exist. And not only does it exist, it's prevalent. Most "scary" to people who are confounded by this "attitude" is that OUR attitude is growing, especially among younger people.

I go as far as to say this "attitude" is the prevailing attitude.

People who are OK with this and celebrate this are in the distinct minority.

And many omnivores are also disgusted with this "attitude".

I am neither vegan or vegetarian.

A friend who is a real estate broker broker told me that it's become increasingly difficult to sell and show homes that display taxidermy. She asks people to remove them because they turn off buyers.

People just don't find dead animal heads to be tasteful or cheerful. They find it sad.

I do too.

Sheena, I doubt that there's anywhere that this shift in attitude you describe, is more prevalent than here in Eugene, the liberal capital of the civilized world. When I was a kid, hunters were everywhere. You'd even see them shooting pheasants and deer within the city limits. The area was also hard-conservative politically and socially.

But that has all drastically changed. Conservatives are such a minority here now, they are hardly even noticed. With the exception of a couple of state-sponsored bird hunting areas, you just don't see it taking place. The Oregon Wildlife Dept. sells very few hunting licenses, compared to past times and they've had to shift their emphasis to preservation activities for all wildlife species, in order to justify their existence.

This is all good, as it is part of our developing a better and more humanitarian culture. People are treated better here now, as well as the wildlife. Parts of the country where guns and hunting are still prevalent, are also those where healthcare and education are lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or