Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:24 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,177,275 times

Advertisements

I once got three rabbits with one bullet. Very tricky to line that shot up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 01:53 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,386,738 times
I will be honest. When I hear or see about someone that is in the 90+ age category, I tend to have the default image of them being in a nursing home or retirement home. That said, being over 100 and still hunting is astounding. Now, if we could here a story about a guy trying to rob her but she gives him a good beating. You know, a guy tries to rob her at gun-point, but she does a literal butt-kicking.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 PM

37,491 posts, read 45,786,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I will be honest. When I hear or see about someone that is in the 90+ age category, I tend to have the default image of them being in a nursing home or retirement home. That said, being over 100 and still hunting is astounding. Now, if we could here a story about a guy trying to rob her but she gives him a good beating. You know, a guy tries to rob her at gun-point, but she does a literal butt-kicking.
my dad is 92, and played golf up until last year.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM

172 posts, read 145,005 times
Typically when a hunter gets two deer with one shot it's a mistake. The bullet passed through the intended target and hit an unintended target...the 2nd deer. It's still a good shot, especially for a 101-year-old! I hope I'm that physically active and sharp at 80 let alone 101. Respect.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:26 PM

23,944 posts, read 32,277,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm kind of sorry to express this, because I like you, Suburban guy.

But I have to say, this picture is disturbing. It's disturbing to take photos of dead animals with their bloody tongues hanging out, as if we are insensitive conquerers. It's disturbing to take pictures of stringers of fish, as conquerers. I see it, and see it, and see it. Bloody animals, bloody fish on stringers, with smiling people, giggling people.

I get it. We're carnivores, as I am. I'm just disturbed to see dead animals and fish on stringers and smiling joyful proud conquerers.

IMHO, this will be the next generation's WHAT??? issue. Just as those of this generation can't understand slavery, and can't understand different water fountains and restrooms for blacks vs whites, and can't understand hating or killing gays, and wonder why in the world Germany turned their backs on Jews, I think the next generation won't understand giggling and bragging, and taking pictures with dead animals bloody and their tongues sticking out.

It just seems we need to be more respectful of the dead animals we've killed to eat. Enough giggling and bragging, and ignoring their painful deaths.
I agree with all that you have written. I am more concerned with the new trend of photographing the dead or dying animal than I am with the practice of hunting or fishing.
I don't eat meat, but I occasionally eat fish. Even though I do, I am very disturbed by photographs of gleeful, smiling, happy people, showing off their kill. If you are hunting for food, why gloat about the death of the animal or fish? Why take a picture at all? When I see these pictures, the indifference to life, and the gloating superiority of the hunter are really repulsive.

How well would the hunter or fisherman have done with out the expensive technology of their rod or gun?

Native Americans teach their children to respect the animal that they have killed. I agree with this. If populations of people - Native Americans, for example, need to hunt for food, it should be thought of as a necessary evil. It's killing after all. I feel quite sure that had cameras been available when native Americans needed to hunt, that posing with a lifeless corps of a bloodied bison, would NOT have been thought of as respectful.

In the late 1900s and early 20th Century, lynchings were still a part of the American scene. I have unfortunately seen pictures of Grinning men standing beside horribly mutilated, burned, and castrated bodies of men who were victims of their cruel "justice".

And there it is. That same gloating, Cheshire Cat grin, of indifference, superiority and sadism.

I find it repulsive.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:13 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,597,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm kind of sorry to express this, because I like you, Suburban guy.

But I have to say, this picture is disturbing. It's disturbing to take photos of dead animals with their bloody tongues hanging out, as if we are insensitive conquerers. It's disturbing to take pictures of stringers of fish, as conquerers. I see it, and see it, and see it. Bloody animals, bloody fish on stringers, with smiling people, giggling people.

I get it. We're carnivores, as I am. I'm just disturbed to see dead animals and fish on stringers and smiling joyful proud conquerers.

IMHO, this will be the next generation's WHAT??? issue. Just as those of this generation can't understand slavery, and can't understand different water fountains and restrooms for blacks vs whites, and can't understand hating or killing gays, and wonder why in the world Germany turned their backs on Jews, I think the next generation won't understand giggling and bragging, and taking pictures with dead animals bloody and their tongues sticking out.

It just seems we need to be more respectful of the dead animals we've killed to eat. Enough giggling and bragging, and ignoring their painful deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I agree with ClaraC, and why the hell is this in current events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So 101 and still good at killing and destroying life. Lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with all that you have written. I am more concerned with the new trend of photographing the dead or dying animal than I am with the practice of hunting or fishing.
I don't eat meat, but I occasionally eat fish. Even though I do, I am very disturbed by photographs of gleeful, smiling, happy people, showing off their kill. If you are hunting for food, why gloat about the death of the animal or fish? Why take a picture at all? When I see these pictures, the indifference to life, and the gloating superiority of the hunter are really repulsive.

How well would the hunter or fisherman have done with out the expensive technology of their rod or gun?

Native Americans teach their children to respect the animal that they have killed. I agree with this. If populations of people - Native Americans, for example, need to hunt for food, it should be thought of as a necessary evil. It's killing after all. I feel quite sure that had cameras been available when native Americans needed to hunt, that posing with a lifeless corps of a bloodied bison, would NOT have been thought of as respectful.

In the late 1900s and early 20th Century, lynchings were still a part of the American scene. I have unfortunately seen pictures of Grinning men standing beside horribly mutilated, burned, and castrated bodies of men who were victims of their cruel "justice".

And there it is. That same gloating, Cheshire Cat grin, of indifference, superiority and sadism.

I find it repulsive.

Does this attitude legitimately exist?
I'm not even sure you people are on the correct planet.

People have been taking pictures of thier hunt since we scratched images on cave walls.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:07 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,942,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
my dad is 92, and played golf up until last year.
thoughts and prayers

Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 AM

6,329 posts, read 4,831,606 times
Arm the animals.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:21 AM

30,014 posts, read 11,606,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh Lord. Seriously? A lion or a giraffe...I agree is wrong. But this is a DEER. Hunting and killing animals for food is a completely natural thing. Don’t make it into something it isn’t.

Hunting and killing animals when you have no other way if feeding yourself is fine. Doing it for sport whether not you eat the game is another.

Most humans are not out of necessity hunters and gatherers any longer.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 AM

32,551 posts, read 47,705,827 times
Vegans can be so tiresome.

That's an amazing old lady. Sometimes I wonder if we don't get old until we sit down and allow ourselves to become old. She is up and working and looks like she is good for several more hunting seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events