U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:05 AM

6,177 posts, read 3,824,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I still say the superintendent was wrong for what she did. There is a reason why we have rules and protocols and she clearly crossed a line. As a teacher I have dealt with many sad situations over the years and there are always ways to get a student proper help without breaking the law. Buying that student clothes and cleaning his house are two added pieces of information that make me still think this relationship was not normal. I will say it again, if this was a male superintendent who bought a teen girl clothing and cleaned her house and then claimed her as his daughter for medical care, the response would be way different.

I'm asking because you're familiar with the protocols: Would the school superintendent typically notice that a student is absent and go around to their house to feed him and take him to a clinic? I'm getting the impression that none of this is part of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 10:41 AM

8,022 posts, read 3,173,161 times
I did some noodling around in the town.

Most of the town is in abject poverty - you can buy a 1500 sq foot run down old house for less than e15K and a nice, livable one for 40K.

Very small community. It's kind of puzzling the employees at the hospital didn't know who she was, and that the boy wasn't her son.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:20 PM

11,697 posts, read 6,978,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I also have to ask the question how a school superintendent gets to know a young child this closely. I would assume the work of a school superintendent primarily involves talking to school principals, teachers, administrators, and clerical support staff for the district. I'm surprised superintendents interact on any significant level with individual elementary school students.
It depends on the superintendent. Some take the time to visit the schools and get to know the kids, and some don't.

The superintendent of the school district I live in seems very involved with the students. On Twitter, he'll post selfies that he takes with the students and posts pictures of himself attending the high schools' sporting events, as well as other school events... But then another district I worked in, I never once saw the superintendent in the school.

Plus I would think with a small district, like it seems Elwood is, the superintendent would have more time to get to know individual students over the years.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:31 PM

914 posts, read 470,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Actually, there is.

Do you have a child? Would it be OK if I decided of my own volition to take your child for medical treatment ó or for any reason ó without telling you?
You should actually read my post. I didn't say anything about the teacher's decision to take the child for medical treatment. I only spoke of the teacher offering to pay for it.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:08 AM

5,161 posts, read 2,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Funny how the family is stepping up now when they basically ignored this kid. He lived with his grandmother. I guess now there is money involved via a lawsuit.
You don't know that. You don't know the entire story of the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
She was dead wrong...
Agree with you, she was wrong.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:58 AM

7,392 posts, read 9,944,249 times
While I can appreciate her kindness and concern for helping out, there are better ways to do this. As an authority she could have one to CPS with her concerns and a case would be opened and investigated. That would open a lot of services up for the child. You just can break the law, pay for the visit out of pocket.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:56 PM

12,538 posts, read 6,917,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
typical example of no good deed goes undone.
She was just trying to help the boy get antibiotics which he needed....THEN...not later.
For THAT she will be punished.
For committing Insurance Fraud she will be punished.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:01 PM

12,538 posts, read 6,917,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I googled the school clinic mentioned earlier in this thread. This was really a missed opportunity on her part.

The child can be seen by a nurse, and a doctor is teleconferenced in, from the school campus.

The first ailment listed, as appropriate to treat, is strep throat.

They'll bill insurance, or in cases of inability to pay, a sliding scale fee will be assessed, which I'm guessing she could have paid out of pocket if desired.

It appears the guardian does have to be notified, but it seems likely they would have approved.

http://www.elwood.k12.in.us/popular/...nic-flier/file
This would have been the best course of action. As a superintendent, Iím surprised she did not choose to do so.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:11 PM

873 posts, read 480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm asking because you're familiar with the protocols: Would the school superintendent typically notice that a student is absent and go around to their house to feed him and take him to a clinic? I'm getting the impression that none of this is part of the job.
School superintendents in my experience have little if any involvement in actual student's lives. Someone said this district is very small and poor so maybe it was different in this case. The school nurse could have made proper arrangements for this student to receive care. There is something very weird with what the superintendent did as it was not necessary.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:07 PM

20,039 posts, read 9,472,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
School superintendents in my experience have little if any involvement in actual student's lives. Someone said this district is very small and poor so maybe it was different in this case. The school nurse could have made proper arrangements for this student to receive care. There is something very weird with what the superintendent did as it was not necessary.
You're right about superintendents...in general.

You're wrong about "school nurses". 33 years teaching and administrating, never once was I in a school who had an actual nurse. They were "health aides" (with no nursing training) or parent volunteers. And all our "nurses" would do would be to call the parents and recommend seeing a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or