Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,882,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're right about superintendents...in general.

You're wrong about "school nurses". 33 years teaching and administrating, never once was I in a school who had an actual nurse. They were "health aides" (with no nursing training) or parent volunteers. And all our "nurses" would do would be to call the parents and recommend seeing a doctor.
The Elwood school district — in the link posted by Clara C — says they are school nurses. They are authorized to do pt exams and decide whether or not to conference in a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:28 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,764,753 times
She resigned.

And she's been charged with three felonies and a misdemeanor.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:28 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,658,996 times
I suspect there was some extra curricular activity going on.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:53 PM

4,975 posts, read 5,245,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I suspect there was some extra curricular activity going on.
There may have been, but I hope not.

I think some of these educators really do come from a good place in that they see kids with hardships and really want to help them as best as they can. I've seen few cases when I've volunteered in various schools. These kids fight for what I take for granted. It is heartbreaking. I was shocked to see one little girl's letter to Santa where she asked for lice shampoo. Another kid was given a wrapped Christmas present at the school. It was a slightly used coat and gloves. He was thrilled. Teachers and other educators see so much more.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:00 PM

We finally got to hear from locals other than the people who nominated her for sainthood:

Her supporters say she tried to help a student with little support from home. But the school nurse Stacy Buck told the board Tuesday night, "You must feel embarrassed, helpless, betrayed. Or at least I hope so. But you know what? Suck it up."

Barb Abernathy, an ex-teacher, asked the board "Would you have been as forgiving if this situation had been a male superintendent?"

John Henderson, a retired police officer said, "Every newspaper says she made a mistake, she made a mistake. She didn't. She made an illegal choice.”

The school nurse said the district's state of the art telemedicine system is equipped to handle the 15-year-old's medical needs. She asked what was the superintendent thinking.

"What other past illegal decisions has she made?" Buck asked.

https://www.wthr.com/article/embattl...endent-resigns

Smitherson still gets a slap on the wrist, i.e. the diversion program. All she has to do is avoid getting arrested for a year and her slate is clean.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:03 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,442,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
https://news.yahoo.com/school-superi...061123606.html
and
https://fox59.com/2019/01/23/court-d...her-insurance/

She was charged with insurance fraud. Not sure how I feel about this. She was trying to help a student who clearly needed help.
She committed a crime. I have no tears for her. I'm sure if someone stole money from her to pay for someone's medical treatment, she'd have them arrested.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,761,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
https://news.yahoo.com/school-superi...061123606.html
and
https://fox59.com/2019/01/23/court-d...her-insurance/

She was charged with insurance fraud. Not sure how I feel about this. She was trying to help a student who clearly needed help.
Then she should have reached into her pocket and paid for his doctor's visit. It wasn't her place to try to cheat someone else into paying for it.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Her base pay was $118,500 plus generous benefits on top of that. That's quite a price to pay for cheating on $233 worth of medical claims. Her legal costs will as well certainly be more than the $233.

I have a young adult nephew who had incredibly poor decision making skills that I took under my wings a few years back. He was as well a big risk taker, so a bad combination all in all. The way I put it to him was if the reward is small if it works but the penalty large if it doesn't, then its not a real good risk to take. And the converse of course. In this case for the superintendent, the potential reward was saving $233 if she got away with it and the risk losing $118,500 if she didn't, yet she made the choice to do it anyway. Not someone I'd want in charge of my kid's schools.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Then she should have reached into her pocket and paid for his doctor's visit. It wasn't her place to try to cheat someone else into paying for it.
No. She should have taken him to the school nurse, who is stationed in the school for this exact purpose.

I guess you didn’t read the whole thread. She had him treated without the permission or knowledge of his legal guardian. The family can still sue her and they may.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No. She should have taken him to the school nurse, who is stationed in the school for this exact purpose.

I guess you didn’t read the whole thread. She had him treated without the permission or knowledge of his legal guardian. The family can still sue her and they may.
I looked up this district and there are 1600 kids K-12 plus a couple hundred more in pre-school. That she was cozy enough with this one boy to go to his home and take him to the doctor without family approval tells me there is more to this story than we've heard yet. I would add that as superintendent she had to know what health services the school offered as well, yet she bypassed that to handle it personally. I wonder if the school board asked that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events