U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:04 PM

10,102 posts, read 7,778,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
All states should allow people to claim the prize without making their names public.
They can keep private if they form a trust or LLC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:56 AM

1,644 posts, read 815,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Holy smokes, you have 165K in student loans? That's a ton of money to be in the hole for, you must have went to an expensive college! I hope your current state is trending up and you are no longer homeless.
It's a long story. The university wasn't extremely expensive I suppose, but for few years I was charged out of state tuition. Out of state tuition was about three times as much I think. And I was in there for a long time. It just kept adding up.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 2,652,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Have you heard the story of someone who rigged the system and wished to remain anonymous on their winnings? He was the lottery computer chief in Iowa for the Iowa state lottery, and he had been scamming the system in multiple states (by allowing him to somehow use computer code to manipulate the winning numbers) and having his brother and a friend claim lottery jackpots. One day he decided to do the same in Iowa, only this time he bought the ticket. He tried to have his lawyers claim the jackpot and have the winnings wired to some Caribbean island, but the lottery officials smelled a rat, and demanded he show up in person. He instead opted to not claim the jackpot, but this eventually led to his arrest and imprisonment (10 years).

If he was allowed to remain anonymous, he'd be 17 million dollars richer.

1. It is the state where the ticket is purchased that regulates the anonymity, not where the person lives.

2. Six states allow complete anonymity: Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio, and South Carolina. Georgia is considering becoming the seventh. What happened in Iowa hasn't deterred them. They likely either think the chances of that happening again are small or even almost nil, or that the right of the winner to remain anonymous is more important. They make it work.

3. See post #15 by LillyLillyLilly . She listed 33 other lotteries around the world where the winner is allowed to stay anonymous. They make it work.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm aware of that. And don't let the name fool you ... I'm not in the UK. I live in a state that doesn't allow anonymity, for the very reason I gave.
What about the residents of the six states I named in post #33 ?

They don't seem to have a problem with it. Tickets are still purchased in those six states.

Do you think those residents are dupes, fools, gullible, not cynical enough, or what?

If they had the feeling that the administrators would 'pull a fast one on them', they probably wouldn't have much desire to even buy a ticket, yet people in those six states are still buying tickets.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

It would be harder to keep all of your personal information out of the government records with a trust, but you could use an LLC.....IF the rules for the particular lottery commission allow for that.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:10 AM

10,861 posts, read 22,688,474 times
They say winning the lotto is a curse.... there used to be a reailty tv show about people that won the lotto and where they are 10-15 years later... forget the name though

Old 01-27-2019, 06:29 AM

461 posts, read 45,025 times
Quote:
There's good reason for not allowing anonymity ... transparency. People would be questioning the legitimacy of the lottery if they never actually saw winners.
BS, the lottery itself is faulty. The money taken in is "supposed" to benefit schools. If this was completely true, how come all the schools need more financial help??

Let's see from a previous lottery winning news posting: Single Winning ticket jackpot was $450 million.
The winner took a $225 million lumpsum. So the govt took the rest in taxes.

So from what I read the schools get $5 million take. (Split in the winning state) Well they can wish in one hand, **** in the other. The govt doesn't like to share willingly.

Quote:
Am I the only person who wouldn't buy a "new, bigger and better house"? I don't want a big house, even if I have a gajillion dollars. I mean, I would buy a house (because I'm in an apartment now), but I would still want a small place. The location is more important to me than having 18 bedrooms and 15-1/2 baths. I'm thinking a 2 bedroom cottage with a spectacular view.

But I also don't need a Maserati or Bentley or more car than I need. I would upgrade to something with heated seats and remote start. LOL!
Nope, I don't need a big fancy house. A 3 bed / 3 1/2 bath would be fine. It would be located in a nice location away from all the hustle/bustle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No, that's not a good reason--that's their reason.

If 7 or 8 states allow individuals to claim the prize anonymously, they should all be able to do it. Those states are suffering no shortage of people willing to play, nor are their residents crying the blues about "lack of transparency."

Besides, if people claim it as a trust, their attorneys are the ones on TV. That happened once in this region, and no one knew--or cared-- who the hell the winner was.

Yes, as long as you give the govt their cut it should be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
1. It is the state where the ticket is purchased that regulates the anonymity, not where the person lives.
Yes/no - Although if the winner purchased the ticket in anonymous allowed state, other states may try to pursue to reveal the winner.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:56 AM

1,157 posts, read 604,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I feel sorry for him. I hope he has help to cope with this unexpected event. He'll have to change his phone number, move, get security because the beggars come out of the woodwork.

Winning a big prize is like having a target drawn on your back.
I'll take the risk...and with that money I'd pay someone to worry for me. LOL

Old 01-27-2019, 08:01 AM

8,536 posts, read 4,262,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not all states allow that.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:03 AM

373 posts, read 94,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I'll take the risk...and with that money I'd pay someone to worry for me. LOL
And, there's no law that you have to answer your phone or your door to strangers. I think the "danger" of coming into a large sum is overblown, unless you're in Brazil where kidnapping and ransom is a prospect. I used to play cards (Hearts, Spades, etc., all for pride, no gambling) with a multi (tens) millionaire, but you sure wouldn't have known it by his lifestyle. He liked to drive a nicer car (a Lincoln Continental) but kept them for at least ten years before replacing them. He lived at one of his Motels, he liked to be around the "Action", and worked on real estate deals until he died in his early 70's (he had a heart attack at a fairly young age, and complications from that haunted him for years afterward). No one was bugging him for money, we took turns buying pizza and coffee on Saturday nights, we (my friends and I) always wanted to pay our own way around him to avoid the appearance of "using" him for his wealth.

He was a heck of a nice guy, and had the personality of a much younger person. Made his money by working at a regular job (Sears) and pooling savings with his brothers (those Greeks!) and investing in cheap real estate residential rental property in Chicago since the 1950's, and built it up over time, he and a younger brother each built motels, and worked hard at making them successful. I asked him once what a young working person (like me!) could do to duplicate his success in a later era, and the question pretty much stumped him, he didn't know how to make money today without having a large nest egg beforehand. Now that I'm the same age as he was when we were hanging out, I think of him often and wish I could spend time with him again, he LOVED playing cards and bullsh*tting all night long, and being around younger people kept him feeling young himself. I learned a lot from him.

Bottom line, if I were wealthy, I would hope I could keep it in perspective as well as he did. Godspeed, Jim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or