U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 10:14 AM

9,699 posts, read 11,592,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
They can keep private if they form a trust or LLC.
BINGO......we have a winner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 11:58 AM

1,411 posts, read 690,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I wonder what happens to someone in this age range when you've lived a frugal life and, in your 50's, you are suddenly worth over a hundred million dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1xmidLSkys

I would LOVE to find out by personal experience.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:43 PM

7,975 posts, read 1,989,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's good reason for not allowing anonymity ... transparency. People would be questioning the legitimacy of the lottery if they never actually saw winners.
Its interesting to me that the only time lottery winners make the national news, is when its HUGE amounts, its not even back page news when people win $20-50 million lotteries!

People forget that most lotteries have drawings twice a week, but we only hear about the people that $200M and up...strange?

Old 01-27-2019, 04:50 PM

8,827 posts, read 6,884,645 times
Quote:

Some states don't allow that. Mine doesn't because a real person is required to come forward as the winner, and in my state a trust is not legally defined as a real person.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:53 PM

8,827 posts, read 6,884,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its interesting to me that the only time lottery winners make the national news, is when its HUGE amounts, its not even back page news when people win $20-50 million lotteries!

People forget that most lotteries have drawings twice a week, but we only hear about the people that $200M and up...strange?

It's local news when anyone in my state wins smaller amounts. Approx 3 million or more, the media does a story and names them.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 PM

32,705 posts, read 9,668,097 times
Quote:
Right. Because we've never heard of attorneys helping their clients do anything illegal.

Oh, wait ...

This device has been used by many winners to claim large prizes anonymously. Your assertion that lottery winners who retain attorneys for that purpose are doing so to engage in illegal activities is ludicrous.

And amusing.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:56 PM

32,705 posts, read 9,668,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
BINGO......we have a winner!

Actually, we HAD a winner long before that one. You missed it.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 4,288,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This device has been used by many winners to claim large prizes anonymously. Your assertion that lottery winners who retain attorneys for that purpose are doing so to engage in illegal activities is ludicrous.

And amusing.
That wasn't my assertion.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:15 AM

49,976 posts, read 40,408,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
All states should allow people to claim the prize without making their names public.
Agreed but even then word get's out at least 2-3 degrees of separation from the person unless they are already an insular loaner without much in terms of friends or family.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:58 AM

1,027 posts, read 753,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I read about him. Winning the lottery made him distrustful of others. He was a lovely man with a nice family before he won the lottery. Winning ruined his life.
I don't know Jack Whittaker personally, but he was a millionaire before the winning ticket. I see his downfall as an extension of his personality, but just on a grander scale. He might of brought a decent bankroll to a stripclub before, but bringing $545k in cash is just plain stupid.

Quote:
Am I the only person who wouldn't buy a "new, bigger and better house"? I don't want a big house, even if I have a gajillion dollars. I mean, I would buy a house (because I'm in an apartment now), but I would still want a small place. The location is more important to me than having 18 bedrooms and 15-1/2 baths. I'm thinking a 2 bedroom cottage with a spectacular view.

But I also don't need a Maserati or Bentley or more car than I need. I would upgrade to something with heated seats and remote start. LOL!
Nothing says you are required to purchase a mansion after winning, but I can see it becoming somewhat of a slippery slope when it comes materials possessions. Even apartment living can be greatly enhanced by actually owning a larger unit higher up in the building.

You don't have to buy a house as you would be able to build one and depending on your hobbies or lifestyle a couple extra square feet can add up quickly. For me, a stable of different style motorcycles would make my garage grow a bit, as well as one or two classic cars. My art studio would mainly focus on glass, but as long as I'm building with an extensive budget, the woodworking and machinist shop would probably double the size. How much land for this? Well, there has to be privacy from neighbors as well as wanting a 1/4 acre garden, so everything grows just a little bit more than one might expect.

Quote:
Louisiana, where I have to play, requires a name and a home town. No LLC or trust.

https://louisianalottery.com/faq/player-protection#35

Doesn't mean that I can't turn the money into a trust after the fact. All future purchases would actually be done by different trusts/corporations to keep my name off any public records. Googling me might say I am in Mississippi, but I actually live in a corporate house in Miami, driving another corporation's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
BS, the lottery itself is faulty. The money taken in is "supposed" to benefit schools. If this was completely true, how come all the schools need more financial help??

Let's see from a previous lottery winning news posting: Single Winning ticket jackpot was $450 million.
The winner took a $225 million lumpsum. So the govt took the rest in taxes.

So from what I read the schools get $5 million take. (Split in the winning state) Well they can wish in one hand, **** in the other. The govt doesn't like to share willingly.
If I remember right, when California first started it's lottery (Our Schools Win, Too!), lottery profits were to be given to the educational system on top of their budgets. Everything was fine until greed took over and the legislation if the schools were getting 5 million dollars on top of their $20 million dollar budget, they could reduce the budget to $15 million. I'm sure it's the same with other states. If Jeff Bezos left his $150 billion dollar fortune to the Mississippi education fund, you know Jackson would reduce it's budget to a dollar a year and not only use that money elsewhere, but try and figure how to make other state departments fall under the education system.

To me the real story is the $1.5 billion dollar MegaMillions prize is still unclaimed. I think they have until Aprl 21st to do so. I am all for sitting on a ticket to build a collection team, but I can't imagine trying to keep quiet on something like that for that long. I think my head would explode from excitement after about two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or