U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:19 PM

8,829 posts, read 6,884,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I cannot think of the states, but I know its not many that do not view lottery winnings as taxable income, maybe 3 at the most..?

I just checked at USA Mega, and they say the states that do not tax are

California
Delaware
Florida
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Texas
Tennesee
Washington
Wyoming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:21 PM

5,318 posts, read 2,056,649 times
Of course you'll pay federal and state taxes on the initial win...it's income for that year after all, but when you deposit the winnings in some sort of financial institution's account it's going to earn interest...and you'll continue to pay taxes on the INTEREST every year after that. What sort of account doesn't pay interest? And, your overall tax bracket would probably skyrocket too so the rate will also be higher. I guess you'd need to hide it in a mattress after all.

Old Today, 02:10 PM

1,028 posts, read 753,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Of course you'll pay federal and state taxes on the initial win...it's income for that year after all, but when you deposit the winnings in some sort of financial institution's account it's going to earn interest...and you'll continue to pay taxes on the INTEREST every year after that. What sort of account doesn't pay interest? And, your overall tax bracket would probably skyrocket too so the rate will also be higher. I guess you'd need to hide it in a mattress after all.
My credit union free checking account doesn't pay any interest.

Always thought about that: if, after all taxes, the lottery cuts me a check for $110 million. 10 million for immediate personal goals, house, car, material possessions, ect. Then place the remaining in a interest-free checking account. I'm 50 now, so even if I live to 100, that's 2 million a year and filing a 1040 EZ form for each of them.

Wouldn't make any money, but I'm not taking it with me.....

Old Today, 02:38 PM

20,865 posts, read 21,037,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMoney12345 View Post
It would not bother me as long I have my million dollars after 37% is taken out
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Me too. A million after taxes would suit me just fine.
I will need at least 2 million (take home) to even coax me out of bed

Old Today, 03:08 PM

8,829 posts, read 6,884,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I will need at least 2 million (take home) to even coax me out of bed

So you're typing this right now from the comfort of your twin mattress?

Old Today, 03:32 PM

5,666 posts, read 6,364,647 times
What ever happened to the second Mega Millions/Power Ball winner of the largest (or close to it) jackpot ever, who never came forward, did they? Time must be close to running out.....

Old Today, 03:48 PM

9,700 posts, read 11,592,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If its not considered taxable income, federal tax would not apply either, right?

I cannot think of the states, but I know its not many that do not view lottery winnings as taxable income, maybe 3 at the most..?
7 states have no income tax, though Nevada doesn't have a lottery.

Old Today, 04:31 PM

2,225 posts, read 523,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I feel sorry for him. I hope he has help to cope with this unexpected event. He'll have to change his phone number, move, get security because the beggars come out of the woodwork.

Winning a big prize is like having a target drawn on your back.
He's a truck driver... always on the move! One of the best jobs he could have for being a lottery winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or