Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:36 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I feel sorry for him. I hope he has help to cope with this unexpected event. He'll have to change his phone number, move, get security because the beggars come out of the woodwork.

Winning a big prize is like having a target drawn on your back.
Uh... yeah? So?

Change his number? No! Not that! Wait--- what's the big deal there?

Move? Well, duh... after taxes, he's now worth over a hundred million dollars. Moving into a new, bigger and better house is what lottery winners do. That's why people play the lottery - to be able to do stuff like that.

Security? Please. Life is not a Jason Bourne movie. He'll move buy a new home is some rich area of Florida or California or some such place where people with lots of money are nothing new, and that will be that. The world is full of rich and famous people who eschew the trappings and just go about their everyday lives without a posse of guards, and they do so without hassle.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:43 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Move? Well, duh... after taxes, he's now worth over a hundred million dollars. Moving into a new, bigger and better house is what lottery winners do. That's why people play the lottery - to be able to do stuff like that.
Am I the only person who wouldn't buy a "new, bigger and better house"? I don't want a big house, even if I have a gajillion dollars. I mean, I would buy a house (because I'm in an apartment now), but I would still want a small place. The location is more important to me than having 18 bedrooms and 15-1/2 baths. I'm thinking a 2 bedroom cottage with a spectacular view.

But I also don't need a Maserati or Bentley or more car than I need. I would upgrade to something with heated seats and remote start. LOL!

Old 01-26-2019, 12:18 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's good reason for not allowing anonymity ... transparency. People would be questioning the legitimacy of the lottery if they never actually saw winners.

I've never looked at the lottery rules in Britain, but some states do (here in the U.S.) allow winners to remain anonymous.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:25 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
He'll have to change his phone number, move, get security because the beggars come out of the woodwork.
I'd just move someplace where no one knows me. Problem solved.
It was -22 degrees last night. If I've got $100MM, I'm not enduring this weather for another moment, ever!

Old 01-26-2019, 02:00 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's good reason for not allowing anonymity ... transparency. People would be questioning the legitimacy of the lottery if they never actually saw winners.

There are plenty of places who allow anonymity, and it hasn't slowed down their lotteries at all.

Below is the list of lotteries that allow jackpot winners to claim their prize anonymously: Sorry, the list is linked to a site that sells tickets. I don't know how to get them to unlink, so just be aware that a click will take you to a for-profit site.

Australia - Monday Lotto
Australia - Oz Lotto
Australia - Powerball Lotto
Australia -Saturday Lotto
Australia -Wednesday Lotto
Austria - Lotto
Austria - EuroMillions
Brazil - Dia de Sorte
Brazil - Dupla Sena
Brazil - Lotofacil
Brazil - Mega-Sena
Brazil - Quina
Colombia - Baloto
Europe - EuroJackpot
Europe - EuroMillions
France - EuroMillions and My Million
France - Loto
Germany - Lotto
Hungary - Hatoslotto
Hungary - Otoslotto
Ireland - Lotto
Italy - Lotto
Italy - SuperEnalotto
Italy - SuperStar
New Zealand - Powerball
Poland - Lotto
Romania - Lotto 6/49
South Africa - Lotto
South Africa - Powerball
Spain - BonoLoto
Spain - El Gordo
Spain - La Primitiva
Switzerland - Lotto

Old 01-26-2019, 02:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
All states should allow people to claim the prize without making their names public.
Have you heard the story of someone who rigged the system and wished to remain anonymous on their winnings? He was the lottery computer chief in Iowa for the Iowa state lottery, and he had been scamming the system in multiple states (by allowing him to somehow use computer code to manipulate the winning numbers) and having his brother and a friend claim lottery jackpots. One day he decided to do the same in Iowa, only this time he bought the ticket. He tried to have his lawyers claim the jackpot and have the winnings wired to some Caribbean island, but the lottery officials smelled a rat, and demanded he show up in person. He instead opted to not claim the jackpot, but this eventually led to his arrest and imprisonment (10 years).

If he was allowed to remain anonymous, he'd be 17 million dollars richer.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:48 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'd just move someplace where no one knows me. Problem solved.
Until they see your smiling photo in the newspaper.

I don't think I can exaggerate the lengths to which some people will glom onto lottery winners with their sure-fire investment strategies, invention prototypes (just need $500k to get it manufactured) and hard-luck stories. And those aren't even your relatives.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:50 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,938 times
"Cousin Bob! I've been meaning to call you but have been busy. I saw your photo in the paper, and man, you are as handsome as you ever were....."

Dang, wrong race again!

Old 01-26-2019, 02:53 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I've never looked at the lottery rules in Britain, but some states do (here in the U.S.) allow winners to remain anonymous.
I'm aware of that. And don't let the name fool you ... I'm not in the UK. I live in a state that doesn't allow anonymity, for the very reason I gave.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:59 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Have you heard the story of someone who rigged the system and wished to remain anonymous on their winnings? He was the lottery computer chief in Iowa for the Iowa state lottery, and he had been scamming the system in multiple states (by allowing him to somehow use computer code to manipulate the winning numbers) and having his brother and a friend claim lottery jackpots. One day he decided to do the same in Iowa, only this time he bought the ticket. He tried to have his lawyers claim the jackpot and have the winnings wired to some Caribbean island, but the lottery officials smelled a rat, and demanded he show up in person. He instead opted to not claim the jackpot, but this eventually led to his arrest and imprisonment (10 years).

If he was allowed to remain anonymous, he'd be 17 million dollars richer.

No he wouldn't. Every winner has to identify themselves to the lottery. The lottery does their due diligence to determine whether the person collecting was the one who bought it buy checking security tapes among other investigation methods. That's what caught the guy you're talking about, seeing a guy who looked a whole lot like the Hot Lotto Security guy on the tape.

The ones he got away with were in non-anonymous states. He gave the numbers to one drawing to his brother, a judge in Texas, who bought the ticket and cashed it there, no problems.

The anonymous states don't reveal the name to the public, but the lottery themselves know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events