U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 06:58 PM

1,955 posts, read 784,956 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure the courts will go easy on these punks, they usually do. The poor girl of course will be shamed by just about everyone. Hopefully the girl’s family can afford the meanest, nastiest lawyer money can buy and go after the parents of these vermin. Perhaps then some semblance of “justice” could be meted out. Not the kind I would administer, but I probably shouldn’t talk about that here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 08:09 PM

14,209 posts, read 7,738,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Couple of years of volunteering at a Rape Crisis Center.

But if you haven't done that personally yourself, to observe this dynamic, you can google women raped and murdered.

And look at their photos.

It's a demographic.

Typically, also, women who are date raped are young dating women, often college girls (so, unlikely to have a photo attached to a news story. But they are college girls. Not 85 year old women).

I don't know why I have to explain this; this is one of those things you can observe just by living on Planet Earth.
It's called "confirmation bias" - very convenient when you want to be right and don't have any evidence to cite.

BTW, do think that the girls and women who happen to make the news are a representative sample of the entire population of those assaulted? What a joke - incredibly naive.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 AM

7,364 posts, read 2,809,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
These kids need to be punished, but I just can't support child rape. Maybe your morals and ethics think raping children is fine and dandy, but for me? No thanks.

Also, I feel like I can't support any punishment I wouldn't be willing to dole out myself. I could never rape a child, or anyon for that matter. Could you?
Yeah cheering rape even as "just punishment" doesn't sit right with me. Sad that we have accepted violent rape as a form of punishment in this society. We're supposed to be better than the criminals we're punishing. It seems kind of un-American to support this sort of thing.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 AM

8,051 posts, read 3,201,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's called "confirmation bias" - very convenient when you want to be right and don't have any evidence to cite.

BTW, do think that the girls and women who happen to make the news are a representative sample of the entire population of those assaulted? What a joke - incredibly naive.
Are you saying that there is no demographic - young, attractive women - who are most likely to be raped?

Are you saying that being a victim of rape is as demographically diverse as, say, someone likely to fall ill with a cold, or someone likely to experience a household fire?

Or are you disagreeing that my observations are incorrect - are you saying victims of rape are mostly elderly, unattractive women?

Whether you believe my experience or not, it seems very odd to me that you seem to be arguing that my statement of the characteristics typical of victims of rape.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:45 AM

2,288 posts, read 861,546 times
Quote:
Are you saying that there is no demographic - young, attractive women - who are most likely to be raped?

Are you saying that being a victim of rape is as demographically diverse as, say, someone likely to fall ill with a cold, or someone likely to experience a household fire?

Or are you disagreeing that my observations are incorrect - are you saying victims of rape are mostly elderly, unattractive women?

Whether you believe my experience or not, it seems very odd to me that you seem to be arguing that my statement of the characteristics typical of victims of rape.
Agree with the obvious; that most rape victims are young and attractive. This is based just upon common sense; shriveled old hags may be rare victims of fetishy freaks/mental cases with rage against their mother or granny but cmon now. Uncommon in the main.

As a hag-ish postmenopausal woman I seriously doubt I have the same risk as my 19 y/o college student daughter.

Disagree with your example, ClaraC, of house fires being demographically diverse; they are far more common in low income tenements than middle class suburbs or luxury apt houses.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:33 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,186,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Has the incident been racialized by the media yet?
No, the boys are the "wrong color" for the national news media to make it a racial incident. Cynic that I am, I believe that if the boys were white and had raped a black classmate it would be on every cable channel and Donald Trump would be blamed.
Quote:
It was complicated, and sad. She was "in love" with one of the older men (I believe the one who got 99 years) and would do anything at all to please him, including having sex with anyone he asked her to. It was just pathetic.
12 year old Derek King was in love with a man when he and his brother murdered their father for the man. That was one messed up case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
No. I have noticed newspapers no longer specify race. I guess they got tired of complaints and lawsuits from the ACLU. I don't think it's necessary to specify race except when a criminal is on the loose. Because crime is driven primarily by poverty.
No crime is NOT primarily driven by poverty. Crime is driven by all kinds of things and poverty is one component, but not primary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don’t know what they do for juveniles, but since they are in custody there is no need to list their names now. I hope they’re on the registry of sexual offenders for the rest of their lives though.
Studies are showing that the registries are not successful in lowering sex crimes and instead are causing more crime. These children shouldn't be on a registry any longer than their sentence and probation. The courts have been ruling pretty consistently that children of this age do not have full understanding of their crimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemel1969 View Post
Rape has nothing to do with money its about FEAR.
Rape happens for a lot of reasons. With children that rape other children I think it is more often about sex than anything else. Between video games, movies, television, music, culture, the Internet and more, many young boys are not getting good information about healthy male female relationships. That is especially true if there no father in the household. Adult males who rape is a different pathology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The should be charged as adults and doing 10 - 15 in federal PITA prison. Then they will understand what it’s like to be raped.
So you're advocating for the rape of a child as punishment for the rape of a child? What these boys did was reprehensible, but I'm not ready to unleash biblical justice (Old Testament biblical justice, I might note) on them and destroy them for all time. It would be kinder to just execute them now instead.
Quote:
When she's 30, she'll tell aghast girlfriends that when she was 11, she was having all kinds of sex and everyone knew about it, and she even told a friend's mom she had genital herpes and no one even called CPS. Or did you call CPS? If she was treated by a doctor, they would have called.
So here is an interesting question on mandatory reporting, CPS and the police. Is Planned Parenthood calling CPS and the police when they are performing an abortion on an obviously under-aged girl? In California, for example, no one under 18 can legally have sex; not even two minors. So in every case where a girl in CA, ages 13 to 17 is pregnant, an illegal act has occurred; it is by definition child molestation since the girl cannot consent legally. I suspect Planned Parenthood is not doing such reporting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This, predators meet PREDATORS, the punishment should fit the crime. I don't like saying or believing this however I am a mother of sons and daughters.
The punishment should be what is appropriate and proscribed by law. The Constitution specifically bans, "cruel and unusual punishment".

When your 18 year old college student son has sex with an 18 year old college woman, as college students have been doing ever since colleges went co-ed, and on further reflection the college co-ed decides it wasn't consensual; will your son then be deserving of rape as punishment?

Old 02-03-2019, 10:05 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,247,022 times
It just leaves me pondering an unsolvable problem. What do we as a society do with our broken people, the ones who we can't fix or who don't want to be fixed?

How do we deal with monstrous behavior without becoming monstrous people ourselves?

Old 02-03-2019, 11:51 AM

2,288 posts, read 861,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It just leaves me pondering an unsolvable problem. What do we as a society do with our broken people, the ones who we can't fix or who don't want to be fixed?

How do we deal with monstrous behavior without becoming monstrous people ourselves?
Were I Queen, all punishments would be:

either the same done to the perpetrator as they did to their victim.

OR

medical experimentation.

Victim/victim's family to choose which.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:05 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,850,221 times
Quote:

I don't think the problem is insoluble.

I think Ariel Castro got one thing right at the end of his violent sicko despicable life:

After being sentenced to life plus 1,000 years in prison without the possibility of parole, Castro committed suicide by hanging himself with bed sheets in his prison cell.

Step one: A sentence that crushes all hope
Step two: Bed sheets

Looked at in a certain way, it's a kindness we'd be doing.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:13 PM

14,184 posts, read 10,375,145 times
Quote:

I was just about to post the same thoughts. To be honest, I go back and forth with my feelings on it. Sometimes I think we just need to put these people "down," not to punish or for revenge, but just for the safety of our "herd," especially children. But then again, I don't want to be responsible, in any way, for taking someone else's life. It's just so hard to deal with.

Also, when you bring this subject up, people sometimes get really angry, thinking that you're somehow taking away the blame from the criminal. It's not about that. It's about trying to find the source of the problem, it's about trying to avoid any more people being brutalized. I saw a documentary where the notion was brought up that it might not necessarily be nature or nurture but just the perfect, unfortunate recipe of both combined that sets people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events