Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times

Advertisements

They're just kids.

An Oklahoma program treats juvenile sex offenders as kids, not criminals

An Oklahoma program treats juvenile sex offenders as kids, not criminals | Al Jazeera America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
They're just kids.

An Oklahoma program treats juvenile sex offenders as kids, not criminals | Al Jazeera America
It goes back to the question.

What do you want? Revenge, or change?

Old 01-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the families these boy-monsters came from probably did not have fathers living with them full time, and that if they had, they would have been much less likely to engage in this type of behavior.
I agree. They haven't been taught how to be men, so they've guessed - incorrectly. They're incredibly full of themselves, and how tough and invincible they are, and they're just still children. Lord of the Flies.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:49 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
It's a terrible irony that for every human monster there was once a little boy who was abused or damaged in some way. A pregnant mother's drug abuse, physical harm in the womb, sexual or physical abuse in the home or that dreaded unknown of genetic inheritance.

Once they have manifested their own victimization we no longer can see them as victims. They have entered the violent cycle of passing it on to others. We see them as the monsters their victimization has made them.

What I'd like to know is why some children use their victimization to become champions of the underdog and others use it to revictimize. There is a Factor X at play. Maybe you could call it empathy?

The majority of these damaged children will continue to be a problem because we don't know how to fix them, aren't inclined to fix them, don't have the money to fix them, don't want to spend the money to fix them or we want to punish them as though it would make any difference in stopping the vast cycle.

A small group of the young are rehabilitatable in the hands of the correct helpers and methods but it will be extensive and costly. We weigh the cost against other necessary expenses.

There are thousands of these children.

All my philosophical response. I have suggestions - some extreme - but no solutions.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
And they'll get off light because of their ages.

Mad dogs get put down. These animals will go to day-camp for 4-6 years, then be released back into human society.

Watch you back, Delaware.
As a DE resident, I recently was called for jury duty. I did my best not to be picked for a trial(there were two), and served out my two weeks.

If I were called again, and one of these thugs was scheduled for trial, I would do everything I could to be seated on that jury. I would stand fast for the harshest punishment allowed.

Yes, that implies that going in, my mind would already be made up. If they were recorded doing this, that’s all I need.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's a terrible irony that for every human monster there was once a little boy who was abused or damaged in some way. A pregnant mother's drug abuse, physical harm in the womb, sexual or physical abuse in the home or that dreaded unknown of genetic inheritance.

Ted Bundy had a perfect Leave it to Beaver childhood.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's curious, that everyone always brings up Ted Bundy.

He was remarkable, because of how very unusual his story is. That's why his story is so notable.

And BTW, I don't know about his leave it to beaver upbringing. And the stories about him having a lot of friends is a lie. He had almost no friends, and many sensed something was off about him all along.

He had zero family, and zero friends, who ever attended any of his court appearances, even the very first ones where family and friends might have been in shock and disbelief.

But yeah. When you think of public policy, and how best to solve the problem of juvenile criminality, it's not helpful to look at the platypus among the otters to form your opinions.

In this article, it describes a childhood home where his mother was passed off as his sister. I don't believe that happened much in the Cleaver household?

https://www.aetv.com/real-crime/ted-...-serial-killer

Last edited by ClaraC; 01-28-2019 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Supposedly so did Jeffrey Dahmer. That's what we've been told but who of us can document it with certainty?

I did mention genetic inheritance, didn't I? Certainly you don't think that they had normal brains?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
They're just kids.

How can we effectively treat kids for this, when they say these kinds of criminals cannot be treated or rehabilitated?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That is absurd. People say it, but no one actually believes it. Even you don't, so quit saying it.
Yes, it is true, its been scientifically proven.

If what you say is true, only attractive, fit women would be rape victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events