U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

1,901 posts, read 689,297 times

Advertisements

I'm fascinated by all the people on this thread who believe this extremely unlikely claim for no reason other than they really want it to be true.

Fact:
This would be completely inexplicable behavior for a black bear.

Fact:
Three-year-olds have extremely active imaginations, especially when subjected to traumatizing situations and during periods of no food and poor sleep, and cannot fully distinguish between their imaginations and reality.

And yet one person after another have decided that because they once saw a video of a duck and a horse that were 'friends', that means Glenda the Good Bear from the North (Carolina) playing guardian angel for this kid is a more likely explanation for the far simpler and more logical explanation that the kid is confused.

Good Lord, people, get a grip...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM

21,016 posts, read 27,059,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I'm fascinated by all the people on this thread who believe this extremely unlikely claim for no reason other than they really want it to be true.

Fact:

Fact:
Three-year-olds have extremely active imaginations, especially when subjected to traumatizing situations and during periods of no food and poor sleep, and cannot fully distinguish between their imaginations and reality.

And yet one person after another have decided that because they once saw a video of a duck and a horse that were 'friends', that means Glenda the Good Bear from the North (Carolina) playing guardian angel for this kid is a more likely explanation for the far simpler and more logical explanation that the kid is confused.

But the child didn't freeze so it must have been a bear. Besides, animals protect babies.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

11,114 posts, read 4,471,757 times
I don't know why anyone needs to argue about it. Whatever happened, happened and the kid is fine. You can believe a bear helped no matter how far fetched that might be or you can choose not to believe it. The kid obviously believes it even if he dreamed up the whole thing.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know why anyone needs to argue about it. Whatever happened, happened and the kid is fine. You can believe a bear helped no matter how far fetched that might be or you can choose not to believe it. The kid obviously believes it even if he dreamed up the whole thing.

The false equivalency of animals being as they're portrayed by cartoons often ends badly for the animals in question. The same people who believe some cute little mother bear protected the boy are the same kind of people who leave food out for the cute little living teddy bears and sign their death warrants by doing so. If you dealt with these types on a regular basis, I think you'd be singing a different tune here. Besides, education about the natural world is never a bad thing. I'll bet most people who think a bear came out of nowhere to protect this child didn't even know that black bears give birth in mid-winter. Now they do.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

503 posts, read 421,661 times
Probably a dog with a fluffy winter coat. Or a dream influenced by the sort of Disneyesque cartoons he watches.

Although if true it probably isnt the first time in human history that a female wild animal cared for a human baby after her instincts were triggered by its crying.
But was almost certainly a dog or a dream. Or overactive imagination.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

4,355 posts, read 1,970,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Fact:

Fact:

"the kid is confused" ... is not an explanation for how a 3-year-old child survives harsh, windy, rainy, sub-freezing temperatures for three nights .

Given that humans exhibit delirium prior to dying from exposure; it's safe to say that yes; he may have been hallucinating about a bear but then what do you suggest is the explanation for his survival? Due to the conditions one would expect to experience in the forest in January; "Just because" ... would be an illogical explanation.

It's not an explanation at all.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
"the kid is confused" ... is not an explanation for how a 3-year-old child survives harsh, windy, rainy, sub-freezing temperatures for three nights .

Given that humans exhibit delirium prior to dying from exposure; it's safe to say that yes; he may have been hallucinating about a bear but then what do you suggest is the explanation for his survival? Due to the conditions one would expect to experience in the forest in January; "Just because" ... would be an illogical explanation.

It's not an explanation at all.
The local authorities say that the child kept moving almost the entire time he was gone.

At 20-30 above, you aren't going to freeze if you keep moving. Daytimes temps were above freezing.

It was two nights, not three.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

1,679 posts, read 600,744 times
essentially, i do not know exactly what happened.
i do look forward the the reports and the eventual
television programs about this. so glad he is safe.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

18,431 posts, read 15,477,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Did you form this opinion from watching cartoons? Because this isn't how nature works, especially with wild animals. Lost babies of any kind are far more likely to end up as dinner as they are to be adopted by another animal, particularly one from another species.

LE in the area said the kid kept moving for most of the time he was out there ó which explains why he didn't die from the cold. Lack of sleep explains the bear hallucination.
You donít have to be insulting. I saw a show about it. It had a video of a cat on a farm who came upon an abandoned or orphaned baby duckling. She took care of it, took it home and it even nursed from her eventually, which is really odd because ducks donít do that.

The narrator said because the cat recently had babies, it still had maternal bonding hormones in high numbers. He said if the cat found the duck any other time it would have killed it. But the cat raised it like a kitten. Even as adults they are close and he follows her.

I donít see why this wouldnít be possible with other mammals.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Oh, I see. You got your information from a cat video and not a cartoon.

I saw that video also, and parts of it seemed staged. There's money to be made in the cute animal video industry, btw, and many of these viral videos involve some form of animal cruelty. Not saying this particular one does, but people go to some pretty great lengths to make money off these things. Personally, I really doubt this story played out the way they said, and the fact that it's up on a monetized youtube channel doesn't do anything for their credibility.

FYI, ducklings can't nurse from cats; they don't have the right mouth structure and birds can't digest lactose anyway. The ducklings were just copying the cat's kittens and going through the motions.

Nonetheless, I can believe some version of it could happen, especially due to the way ducklings imprint, but it's an extreme outlier that doesn't translate into wild black bears leaving their own cubs and dens during a cold snap to protect a human child. And if a bear actually had been playing guardian angel here due to misplaced maternal urges, there's no way the rescuers would have gotten anywhere near that kid.

Quote:
I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible with other mammals.
Because not all mammals are the same. After a female black bear gives birth, her heart rate returns to torpor levels and stays there until it's time to leave the den in the spring. They don't move much at all during the weeks after they have their cubs unless something is putting them in danger.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or