U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
Status: ""...whisper words of wisdom, let it be..."" (set 17 days ago)

6,219 posts, read 3,999,565 times

Advertisements

I can't wait to see the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

6,725 posts, read 3,739,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BTW~~ Black bears are "Herbivores" Not "Carnivores"~~
Black bears are omnivorous. Plants make up the bulk of their diet, but they can and do eat meat (and will sometimes actively hunt and kill other animals - including people on rare occasions - in order to obtain it).

Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM

21,018 posts, read 27,059,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Black bears are omnivorous. Plants make up the bulk of their diet, but they can and do eat meat (and will sometimes actively hunt and kill other animals - including people on rare occasions - in order to obtain it).
I missed that when I responded to that post ó read it as omnivorous in my mind. What makes up the bulk of their diet depends on where they live. Coastal bears eat mostly berries and fish.

Old Today, 04:00 AM

7,505 posts, read 3,113,018 times
Mothers of most species seem to have that built in motherly love. Iíve seen it with dogs and cats. I believe it could happen with a mother bear and a small child.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

23,566 posts, read 22,545,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Maybe North Carolina bears are friendlier than your local bears.

This NC lady cuddled in bed with bears.

https://www.coastalreview.org/2015/0...us-life-death/

I, too, wonder how the child survived the freezing temperatures and heavy rains.
I remember that story.

Old Today, 07:21 AM

5,659 posts, read 896,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know why anyone needs to argue about it. Whatever happened, happened and the kid is fine. You can believe a bear helped no matter how far fetched that might be or you can choose not to believe it. The kid obviously believes it even if he dreamed up the whole thing.
Yes, my thoughts exactly.

I am just so glad it had a happy ending, no matter how it happened!

Old Today, 08:04 AM

689 posts, read 230,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The false equivalency of animals being as they're portrayed by cartoons often ends badly for the animals in question. The same people who believe some cute little mother bear protected the boy are the same kind of people who leave food out for the cute little living teddy bears and sign their death warrants by doing so. If you dealt with these types on a regular basis, I think you'd be singing a different tune here. Besides, education about the natural world is never a bad thing. I'll bet most people who think a bear came out of nowhere to protect this child didn't even know that black bears give birth in mid-winter. Now they do.
What? Yogi bear and Boo boo aren't representative of bear behavior?

I saw the movie about Timothy Treadwell. I could not believe his arrogance and stupidity.

On a side note: Have you seen the videos of Ocean Ramsey swimming with Great White sharks and Tiger sharks? She's going to be a snack one day.

http://oceanramsey.com/gallery/

Old Today, 08:33 AM

8,318 posts, read 5,748,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
What? Yogi bear and Boo boo aren't representative of bear behavior?

I saw the movie about Timothy Treadwell. I could not believe his arrogance and stupidity.

On a side note: Have you seen the videos of Ocean Ramsey swimming with Great White sharks and Tiger sharks? She's going to be a snack one day.

Ocean Ramsey – Gallery
It's a stupid thing to do for sure, but shark bites really only happen in shallow waters, where visibility is poor and one can be easily confused for a fish.

Humans are generally not a shark's prey.

Old Today, 10:55 AM

21,434 posts, read 26,780,876 times
I suppose it is possible that one of those great big hairy livestock guardian dogs followed the kid around for awhile, letting the baby sleep with it. Then if the child wandered too far from the dog's territory, the dog would go back to his job and leave the child who was alone when found.

Did anyone back track the kid to see where he had been?

I'm skeptical and waiting for the go fund me page that goes along with the story.

Old Today, 11:14 AM

11,440 posts, read 9,456,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I'm skeptical and waiting for the go fund me page that goes along with the story.
https://www.gofundme.com/casey-and-the-bear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or