Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,113,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Right. Friendlier bears.
Southern hospitality?

If you read the entire article, it states they do not believe she was killed by the bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:06 PM

26,562 posts, read 36,477,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Black bears in the more heavily populated parts of the continental US aren't teddy bears, but they aren't slavering monsters, either. It's unusual for them to be aggressive toward people, and may of them will allow people to approach quite closely without becoming upset. Back when I lived in Pennsylvania I spent many a night stargazing in Black Moshannon State Park, and bears regularly visited the clearing while I and my fellow astronomy club members were there. They stayed at their end of the clearing, and we stayed in ours, and there were no problems. The biggest threat they posed to our safety was on the drive home, as a black bear on a black asphalt road on a moonless night is pretty hard to see.

We'll never know for sure that happened with that kid, but a three year old is pretty non-threatening. I can't see a black bear actively helping him, but I can see one tolerating his presence (particularly if the bear is rather somnolent).
I didn't claim that the bear would have made a meal out of the kid. I didn't claim that they are normally aggressive toward people.

Black bears generally don't consider humans prey. I see them on my property every morning during salmon season, so I'm quite aware that they aren't "slavering monsters." Nonetheless, just because they aren't looking at humans as fast food doesn't automatically translate to a sow cuddling with a human kid. Anyone who lives around bears knows how ridiculous this is, but hey, cartoons and Disney.

The kid was pretty bundled up, and according to LE, he kept moving during the time he was lost, which would explain why he didn't freeze to death.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Southern hospitality?

If you read the entire article, it states they do not believe she was killed by the bears.
They? One friend of hers thought she probably starved to death because the bears ate all her food and the bear ate her after the fact. She had the ability to leave and get more food, so it makes little sense that she'd just sit there and starve to death.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-27-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 12:15 PM

13,382 posts, read 28,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The report doesn't say why the child left his grandmother's backyard in the first place. And one wonders if the other kids present have been interviewed about whether they noticed him leaving. There's a key part of the story missing. Why would a kid leave someone's backyard, and just wander off into the woods? I guess this is something some toddlers do, out of curiosity? IDK. And did anyone ask the child, how the "bear" managed to feed him, or what he ate for two days?

More info needed.
I read somewhere all the kids left the yard into the woods bu he didn't come back, who knows.
A child can go two days without food, sure hungry but it's not life threatening at that point.

Grandma happens to be great great grandma, so she has to be at least 80 leaving a twenty year span between generations.
My question is why is the family leaving 3 kids to be watched by an 80 year old?? One maybe but 3??

Old 01-27-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There was a book, from a true story that took place in 1783, "The Bear that Heart Crying".

The child's rescuers actually saw the bear tracks. The bear kept the child from freezing to death, apparently.

The girl later would recall it as a big hairy dog who saved her.

https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Heard-Cr.../dp/0140558543

This story is just a tall tale that's been passed down through the generations combined with a tenuous mention in a historical manuscript that's over a century old (and was written a century after the incident supposedly happened). To call stuff like this a "true story" to increase interest and sell more books is irresponsible, especially with the increasing amount of people who seem to think that wild animals are part of their own personal petting zoos.

New Hampshire

This is the "historical account" which this "true story" is based on.

https://books.google.com/books?id=b_...lie%3F&f=false

The guy who found the kid claimed that he was led to her whereabouts by a "vision" that came to him in the night, and that she was being guarded by a bear.

Nice fairy tale. They should make it into a Disney movie.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it could be true. I think animals recognize babies and especially if it’s a female, will care for them. It might explain why he didn’t die from the cold.
Did you form this opinion from watching cartoons? Because this isn't how nature works, especially with wild animals. Lost babies of any kind are far more likely to end up as dinner as they are to be adopted by another animal, particularly one from another species.

LE in the area said the kid kept moving for most of the time he was out there — which explains why he didn't die from the cold. Lack of sleep explains the bear hallucination.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:28 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,356,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Maybe the kid found a bear den and crawled in? The bear would probably be too sleepy to care, and the protection from the weather afforded by the den would help keep the kid from freezing to death.
It's obvious that many opinionated posters here have no clue on Black Bear behaviours during "Hibernation Periods"~~ especially female bears who give birth during that time.

All one needs to do is watch those "DEN CAMS" to realize that momma bears are very active with birthing, maintaining warmth for cubs ( who are born without any fur) during them ( we called it cubs "Milk Bar" when cubs got to pick their go to nipple for nutrition! I also observed momma bear swat and correct cubs IF they mis-behaved and monitored their tendency to explore outside of den once more mobile. Hibernation of any new mom who births cubs is NOT a "Sleepy 2-3 month time out so many assume!

Only thing is~~ Yes she loses weight/ eats snow to maintain hydration.. but never ventures far outside of den. Momma bears also respond to child /baby cry .. as IF watching Den cams, you would hear clearly.. The Crying sound similar to human cry of youngsters!!

BTW~~ Black bears are "Herbivores" Not "Carnivores"~~

Myths~~ versus FACTS

Dispelling Myths About Bears - BearSmart.com

Bottomline for me is SOMETHING in the wild INTERVENED to save this 3 year old child from freezing to death~~ THAT should not be dispelled/dismissed one iota by saying it's nothing but a "Disney Plot" !! Wild Life/Animals aren't the enemies ..Human's often cause far more damages than any animal the wild!!

A few links to mother bears giving birth during "Hibernation Periods" May assist in learning something about activity of these bears!!

Some links to Den Cams~~
Two Cute: Den Camera Shows Baby Bears’ Birth
https://www.wired.com/2012/01/black-bear-camera/
https://youtu.be/xTJ4t9ctEMs

The noise chittering you will hear below.. means the CUBS FOR nursing @ their "Milk Bar"!! Plus you will see venturing cubs checking out the entrance of the den~~ So momma never has a dull moment after she gives birth!! Bless their hearts!!
https://youtu.be/ErzK3i0YkK4

Old 01-27-2019, 03:30 PM

10,499 posts, read 6,973,429 times
Bigfoot.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Bottomline for me is SOMETHING in the wild INTERVENED to save this 3 year old child from freezing to death~~ THAT should not be dispelled/dismissed one iota by saying it's nothing but a "Disney Plot" !! Wild Life/Animals aren't the enemies ..Human's often cause far more damages than any animal the wild!!
Like I already said a couple of times in this thread, the authorities have stated that the child kept moving for most of the time he was missing, which explains why he didn't freeze to death. The temperatures were in the 20s and 30s at some point during the nights (warm enough to stay alive in if you keep moving) he was missing but rose to well above freezing during the day. We're going to have to disagree that "something from the wild intervened." ETA no one said that "wild animals are the enemy" — just that they're wild animals that tend not to act in the ways they're portrayed in cartoons and Disney movies.

And yes, black bears usually have their cubs in Jan/Feb, which makes it even more unlikely that a mother bear came to protect the child. If there are bears in that particular area, the kid's lucky he didn't come too close to a den. Even if the mother hadn't or wasn't about to give birth, she'd still have her yearlings with her.

Quote:
BTW~~ Black bears are "Herbivores" Not "Carnivores"
If anyone said otherwise, I must have missed it. Nonetheless, a hungry bear — such as one that's out during the middle of winter in areas where they normally spend the majority the time in their dens — may be more likely to kill for food because their usual herbaceous forage isn't available.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-27-2019 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 05:14 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,585,537 times
It was the child's Aunt who made the FB post and commented about the bear. Could she have been making it up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events