U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

21,014 posts, read 27,059,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
In all fairness, animal abuse is not limited to Alaska, it happens everywhere. And unfortunately it seems that legal punishment usually only amounts to a slap on the wrist. I agree that these "hunters" should be dealt with a lot harsher, they are a disgrace.
I didn't say it was limited to Alaska. It is, however, commonplace enough that those who actually live there hear about it — or witness it — happening in their community on a fairly regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

74,884 posts, read 66,574,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I bet even (most) hunters would be disgusted by this.

An Alaskan father and his son who were caught on camera killing a black bear and her two cubs have been sentenced to jail, fines and hunting suspensions.
Andrew Renner, 41, will spend three months in jail, pay a $9,000 fine, forfeit his boat, truck, firearms and poaching gear -- and lose his hunting privileges for 10 years, according to a news release from the state of Alaska. His 18-year-old son, Owen Renner, was sentenced to probation and community service and will be required to take a hunters' safety course, according to the statement obtained by CNN. His hunting license also has been suspended for two years.

The Renners were out skiing on April 14 when they approached the bears' den, Alaska Wildlife Troopers said in a statement last August. Owen Renner fired twice at the adult bear while it slept in its den, the troopers said. Then, Andrew Renner killed the "shrieking" cubs, leaving their bodies outside the den, the troopers' statement said. The Renners butchered the adult bear and returned two days later to dispose of the cubs' bodies and collect shell casings, according to the troopers.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/us/al...rnd/index.html
Hunting bears and cubs in their winter dens is allowed in parts of Alaska by the general public, and to Native people anywhere, where it's traditional. I guess this guy and his son were in the wrong place at the wrong time?
http://www.newsminer.com/features/ou...e8281fc17.html

Quote:
Two OneProtest volunteers traveled to Anchorage in November to ask Alaska’s Board of Game to eliminate the two exceptions for Alaska’s prohibition on killing bear cubs: Alaska’s rules allow the killing of cubs in the Yukon Flats north of Fairbanks under a provision the OneProtest volunteers learned was created because of nuisance bears. In a second, and geographically larger area, the rules allow the killing of cubs in bear den hunts.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; Yesterday at 12:15 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What? Alaska made it legal to shoot bears in their dens a couple of years ago. Was that law reversed?
This NYT article answers your question.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/u...er-alaska.html

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hunting bears and cubs in their winter dens is allowed in parts of Alaska by the general public, and to Native people anywhere, where it's traditional.
Stop lying. It's never been legal to kill a mother and/or cubs.

Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

32,930 posts, read 40,336,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Stop lying. It's never been legal to kill a mother and/or cubs.
If the article you linked is correct then it is legal on "certain state and federal lands where it is deemed a customary and traditional practice".

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If the article you linked is correct then it is legal on "certain state and federal lands where it is deemed a customary and traditional practice".
The natives have their own "laws" that don't apply here. I was responding to this statement anyway.

Quote:
Hunting bears and cubs in their winter dens is allowed in parts of Alaska by the general public

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

32,930 posts, read 40,336,435 times
Quote:
The natives have their own "laws" that don't apply here. I was responding to this statement anyway.
I figured that it pertained to native tribes but the article was unclear and I didn't want to wade through page after page of an Alaskan game law PDF.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

1,401 posts, read 685,030 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was limited to Alaska. It is, however, commonplace enough that those who actually live there hear about it — or witness it — happening in their community on a fairly regular basis.

I wasn't trying to imply you did, just that unfortunately it happens everywhere.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

4,305 posts, read 6,342,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I dont care if it was legal, its not very sportsmanlike and not something I would ever take part in.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

6,721 posts, read 3,739,361 times
Quote:
This is just the tip of Alaska's iceberg concerning animal cruelty issues. The state attracts a lot of despicable people because they think they'll have the freedom there to...be despicable.
Unfortunately all rural areas seem to attract those types. Alaska probably attracts more than most, given how remote much of the state is, but I've always been struck by how many people seem to believe that they should be free to do whatever the Hell they want to do, regardless of the consequences (to other people, to wildlife, or to the environment in general), simply because they live in a rural area.

Some people are just selfish, and others are just cruel; the very worse, of course, are both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or