U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:34 PM

7,356 posts, read 4,095,772 times

Advertisements

The video goes on for over five minutes...nobody thought about stopping him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:35 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,515,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The video goes on for over five minutes...nobody thought about stopping him?
What were they going to do, jump in front of the bulldozer? And again it was all construction workers at this site. Given the reputation of this region for construction workers going unpaid (per the article) many of them were probably secretly rooting him on.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 12,973,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn’t change the fact this area is notorious for companies that don’t pay construction workers. Guessing cops didn’t show cause no one called them (hotel was not open and only construction crew and others working on the building were. Perhaps no one called because they themselves have been stiffed.
Let's not jump to conclusions -we've just seen we that can lead to.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Let's not jump to conclusions -we've just seen we that can lead to.

I’m just postulating. The article did say though that construction workers in this region often complain about the companies that hire them not paying them or making them wait and wait. If I were in that industry, deep inside I would’ve been going “yeah get em’ man.”

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

2,803 posts, read 748,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The lobby belongs to the Travelodge not the construction company.

Sorry but this is wrong. The construction worker was wrong. If you’re not being paid take it through legal channels and the court system or government agency.

I had plenty of people who stiffed me and i didn’t wreck their house
I have to agree. He could have gone to the news and broadcast his predicament, and maybe through the coverage, other people who are experiencing the same thing could come forward and they could all pitch in to go after the contractor legally. But nope, this guy decided to have an impulse control problem that will cause him more grief than he already needs.

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I have to agree. He could have gone to the news and broadcast his predicament, and maybe through the coverage, other people who are experiencing the same thing could come forward and they could all pitch in to go after the contractor legally. But nope, this guy decided to have an impulse control problem that will cause him more grief than he already needs.
You think if you go to the media and complain that you haven’t been paid for your work that they’re going to go to bad on your behalf??

The go fund me page that was set up for him is up to the US equivalent of about $6900. So apparently, he’s touched a nerve. Not defending him, but I think the focus should be on why this area has had a reputation for such a long time of not paying construction workers. I’m saying I understand his frustration.

My fiancé is a subcontractor, and he has issues with getting paid as well. He was recently owed $13,000 for a job he just completed, and after 3 weeks of not being paid, the guy offered him $2000 saying he’d get the rest at some unnamed point in future. It’s very frustrating because our bills do not wait six weeks to be paid. For some reason in this industry, it seems to be almost accepted that you might not get paid on time. Even our own dear leader, put many small local contractors out of business at the Jersey shore area by not paying them. Not recommending what this guy did, but I think the ensuing publicity will go a lot further to ensure the problem stops than anything else he could’ve done.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 11:07 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

2,996 posts, read 1,281,002 times
^^^^I was afraid to bring up POTUS, but he did the same. Trying to get paid through legal means is a real lengthy, expensive PITA. Why stiffing workers is not illegal, beats me. We ended up building a whole house for free, so I know how it feels.

Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

1,335 posts, read 562,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I might have a little sympathy for the man if he had bulldozed the offices of his employer. But Travelodge had nothing to do with this wage dispute; they are an innocent victim of this rampage. What's more, his reckless disregard for the safety of his coworkers (as seen by him risking damage to the structural support beams, while others were inside the building) should erase any "hero" image of him.

And another thing: how is it that the police didn't show up when this guy was apparently doing his thing for 20-30 minutes?
I don’t wish to comment on the rights and/or wrongs of what they guy did, but the police taking 20-30 minutes to show is a regular thing in U.K.
The Metropolitan Police, in London, allegedly couldn’t find their rear ends in the dark with both hands.
If I got home one evening, shot my wife dead, then called 999, (our 911), to report it, I’d probably hear, “All our call takers are busy right now, please hold the line, someone will answer you as soon as possible.”

Old Today, 03:10 AM

4,514 posts, read 1,713,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I don’t wish to comment on the rights and/or wrongs of what they guy did, but the police taking 20-30 minutes to show is a regular thing in U.K.
The Metropolitan Police, in London, allegedly couldn’t find their rear ends in the dark with both hands.
If I got home one evening, shot my wife dead, then called 999, (our 911), to report it, I’d probably hear, “All our call takers are busy right now, please hold the line, someone will answer you as soon as possible.”
US cops are no better. We had one recent case of a young girl who was kidnaped. The kidnapper murdered her parents, and held her captive for three months, before she escaped. Some nearby residents took her in and called 911. The entire call lasted almost exactly 30 minutes before the cops finally arrived. Despite conversation that the guy might return at any moment and kill everyone involved. The police chief defended the response time, saying that the responding officers were driving over 100 mph to get there. The only problem with that is that if they were traveling over 100 mph they should have arrived in less than 15 minutes. So they blew 15 minutes somewhere.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

872 posts, read 228,953 times
Wonder if he'll get paid for that time on the bulldozer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or