U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

6,119 posts, read 3,792,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So? That doesn't change anything.
The fact that his family did a runner after making funeral arrangements doesnít change anything?

THEY didnít show up at the funeral.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

21,047 posts, read 27,074,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The fact that his family did a runner after making funeral arrangements doesn’t change anything?

THEY didn’t show up at the funeral.
No, it doesn't change anything. Not sure why you think it does. You can pat these people on the back all you want for showing up at the guy's funeral, but that doesn't change the fact that their attention would have been better spent on the guy while he was alive even though that sort of thing doesn't go viral on Facebook.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

2,039 posts, read 836,527 times
Look, we don't know ANYTHING about this particular guy. For all you know he molested every single one of his children and pimped his wife out to his friends. And don't tell me how unlikely that is - I have a niece whose husband tried to make her sleep with his friends, and beat her regularly. My sister (her mother) nevertheless witters on about how much she misses him.

Personally *I* would only miss him while I was reloading.

Regardless, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of still-living people of all ages, colors, and creeds who are isolated and lonely. HELP THEM NOW. Showing up at their funeral and patting yourself on the back over it just highlights what a jerk you are.

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

7,559 posts, read 2,843,189 times
Quote:
So? This only served to make those who showed up feel warm and fuzzy about themselves.

Where were these virtue-signalers when this guy was living and dying alone?
Sad but true. The man doesn't know that people showed up at his funeral, (unless there really is some life after death where the person's looking down and seeing what all is going on... but that's another topic for debate, of course). I see homeless veterans on street corners every day. I imagine some of them have PTSD from being in wars, injuries or health issues and they can't work at long term jobs.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

7,559 posts, read 2,843,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Look, we don't know ANYTHING about this particular guy. For all you know he molested every single one of his children and pimped his wife out to his friends. And don't tell me how unlikely that is - I have a niece whose husband tried to make her sleep with his friends, and beat her regularly. My sister (her mother) nevertheless witters on about how much she misses him.

Personally *I* would only miss him while I was reloading.
Huh???

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

22,056 posts, read 26,915,703 times
Quote:
Where were these virtue-signalers when this guy was living and dying alone?
They did not know him. How could they do anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I truly think there should be some kind of volunteer "foster friends" program for those who are alone and would just like some company now and then. Of course, ideally, they would be matched with people with some mutual interests and compatible personalities.
Wouldn't those just be friends?

Last edited by suzy_q2010; Yesterday at 02:35 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Huh???
And your problem is?

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I'm certain that most of the people in that crowd know, or at least know of, someone LIKE him who is still living right now. How many of them have been moved to do something about it THAT MATTERS?

Showing up at his funeral DOES NOT MATTER. It apparently didn't even matter to his actual family, who did not come to the funeral. Perhaps for good reason, perhaps not.

Which does not obviate the fact that none of these self-congratulatory virtue signalers (I DO love that term now) have been moved to do anything for the still living, because that takes more than an hour standing next to a grave looking sad.

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

7,964 posts, read 3,139,142 times
This is such a confusing story.

According to this, they held the funeral for him already and thought he had been buried.

Apparently no one attended the burial - wonder if it was paid for but just not attended?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...d-6e4c3c04874e

Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

21,047 posts, read 27,074,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It was more of a broad statement rather than anything directed at this particular guy. As in...there's probably no shortage of those willing to take an hour out of their day to attend a funeral like this, but nonetheless, plenty of people in this guy's situation are spending their senior years in isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or