U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2019, 02:34 PM
 
8,021 posts, read 3,167,076 times
Reputation: 21067

Advertisements

Here is his original obituary and funeral service plans, as well as specific interment plans.

How did this go so wrong?

https://www.allfaithsonline.com/notices/Joseph-Walker

Note that there are several condolences back from Dec. 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2019, 02:46 PM
 
12,097 posts, read 16,136,581 times
Reputation: 23310
A good story OP. Thank you for posting it. I had not seen it.

I love real Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 03:05 PM
 
2,055 posts, read 854,452 times
Reputation: 8355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is such a confusing story.

According to this, they held the funeral for him already and thought he had been buried.

Apparently no one attended the burial - wonder if it was paid for but just not attended?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...d-6e4c3c04874e
And that would be a good reason. I've never known of a situation where the burial didn't immediately follow the funeral. Services, then immediately the procession to the gravesite.

"Funeral" to me is the whole process.

NONE of which obviates the issue of strangers showing up for an hour so they can go home and pat themselves on the back for their sense of compassion. As long as it doesn't mean actually dealing with a real living person who has real problems in the real world.

Can't read that, the site blocks people who block interactive ads. Here's a version that doesn't try to usurp your control over your own computer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxoUtdOUMk

Honestly, the whole thing is starting to sound like a publicity stunt on the part of the funeral home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 03:20 PM
 
Location: southern kansas
8,020 posts, read 5,384,566 times
Reputation: 17313
This thread reminds of that old saying... "no good deed goes unpunished".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 PM
 
156 posts, read 62,203 times
Reputation: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do you think it made the old vet feel better? The better story would be that it inspired them to start visiting
old people that are alone
True. Living people often feel distressed at the thought of no one showing up to their funeral, but once you're dead, your funeral matters as much as a storm on the surface of Venus, or a crab walking on the bottom of the ocean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 03:28 PM
 
21,090 posts, read 27,106,380 times
Reputation: 14672
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
This thread reminds of that old saying... "no good deed goes unpunished".
And this was a "good deed" how?

A good deed would have been for each person who attended this to visit a nursing home for veterans instead for an hour, but that wouldn't have gone viral on Facebook so why bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 06:38 PM
 
8,021 posts, read 3,167,076 times
Reputation: 21067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And this was a "good deed" how?

A good deed would have been for each person who attended this to visit a nursing home for veterans instead for an hour, but that wouldn't have gone viral on Facebook so why bother.
That's how I feel when a child is horribly abused, to death. Strangers show up at the funeral with beautiful stuffed animals; another stranger provides a prettier dress for burial than the child ever had in life.

I always think. Go buy that dress for a girl in poverty who would love to wear it. Or a girl in foster care where money is stretched really tight. Buy and give those toys, anonymously, to living children. Pay extra attention to a neighbor child or a child in your school who might be abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 06:43 PM
 
8,021 posts, read 3,167,076 times
Reputation: 21067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
And that would be a good reason. I've never known of a situation where the burial didn't immediately follow the funeral. Services, then immediately the procession to the gravesite.

"Funeral" to me is the whole process.

NONE of which obviates the issue of strangers showing up for an hour so they can go home and pat themselves on the back for their sense of compassion. As long as it doesn't mean actually dealing with a real living person who has real problems in the real world.

Can't read that, the site blocks people who block interactive ads. Here's a version that doesn't try to usurp your control over your own computer:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxoUtdOUMk

Honestly, the whole thing is starting to sound like a publicity stunt on the part of the funeral home.
I think that's the very last possibility.

What family would trust that funeral home with arrangements, when they missed that they had ALREADY hosted a funeral for this individual, and hadn't buried him as planned? It's like, they just lost all the paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 PM
Status: "check my albums" (set 4 days ago)
 
151 posts, read 56,002 times
Reputation: 303
Salute Airman Walker. Your Military Family is here to Honor you. As a Veteran, you always have a Family.

Killeen Texas being a Military Community, when times call, Veterans all alike show up to assist.

We don't know you or about you, other than you are a Veteran, so we Thank You For Your Service and Proud to attend your Military internment.

Harker Heights, Texas
USAF Veteran (1974-1980)
Air Base Group

Last edited by txwolfman; 01-29-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ <-> Silicon Valley, CA
6,175 posts, read 3,818,953 times
Reputation: 22985
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think that's the very last possibility.

What family would trust that funeral home with arrangements, when they missed that they had ALREADY hosted a funeral for this individual, and hadn't buried him as planned? It's like, they just lost all the paperwork.
Except they hadn't already had a funeral.

The notice you posted said it was going to be on such and such a date. The funeral home delayed it because they couldn't get in touch with the family. Their calls were not being returned.

This info is in the FoxNews link I posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top