U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,224,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I truly think there should be some kind of volunteer "foster friends" program for those who are alone and would just like some company now and then. Of course, ideally, they would be matched with people with some mutual interests and compatible personalities.
I've come across news stories or blog posts about this kind of thing. It should be more widespread. It brings to mind a video I saw about a 90-something woman who lived alone. A volunteer came to pick her up and bring her to a senior center two times a week. The other days she would fill her time ripping up her junk mail by hand into tiny pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Regardless, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of still-living people of all ages, colors, and creeds who are isolated and lonely. HELP THEM NOW.
Completely agree. Even the smallest things can help others in ways you don't know. Most of us could do more, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's how I feel when a child is horribly abused, to death. Strangers show up at the funeral with beautiful stuffed animals; another stranger provides a prettier dress for burial than the child ever had in life.

I always think. Go buy that dress for a girl in poverty who would love to wear it. Or a girl in foster care where money is stretched really tight. Buy and give those toys, anonymously, to living children. Pay extra attention to a neighbor child or a child in your school who might be abused.
Those massive displays of stuffed animals, balloons, and toys actually make me a bit angry. They sit there getting ruined and it's all just chucked in a bin at the end. That does no one any good at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 03:48 PM

6,174 posts, read 3,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Because it ISN'T, in fact, a "nice" story. It's a story pointing out how careless people are of the living and how shallow they are, to think that showing up at a funeral makes any real difference whatsoever. And I still think it was a publicity stunt on the part of the funeral home, given that they in fact DID know the man had family. So they lied when they touted it around that he didn't.
The funeral home never said he had no family. The “no family” phrase was in the headline written by every news service, probably as clickbait.

The cemetery said they expected only staff members would be at the funeral.

Updated NPR story:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/28/68937...neral-in-texas

Old 01-31-2019, 08:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 854,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So? This only served to make those who showed up feel warm and fuzzy about themselves.

Where were these virtue-signalers when this guy was living and dying alone?

So true.

Another perspective is, perhaps the deceased fella was a horrid person who alienated his family. Just saying. this is a distinct possibilty. He could've been a child abuser or a wife beater etc.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 AM

2,724 posts, read 1,561,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So? This only served to make those who showed up feel warm and fuzzy about themselves.

Where were these virtue-signalers when this guy was living and dying alone?
This.

You really want to make a difference? Call or write your Federal reps and tell them you want the VA fixed.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,143,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea why so many say this is nothing. It's a nice story, can't we just leave it at that?

People just cant. I shows you what type of person they are. They usually dont get enough attention by being positive, so they go for the negative, which some people gravitate to.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:57 AM

883 posts, read 382,603 times
Funeral's are for the living. The man's dead. He’s not going to know who showed up.

If they wanted to make an impact, then they should have volunteered at a veteran's home for people who need help. This is just a way to make themselves feel good.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:14 PM

2,706 posts, read 5,214,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
A sad, but happy ending. Kudo's to those who attended!!!!

After Hearing U.S. Veteran Had No Family, Huge Crowd Attends His Funeral In Texas

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/28/68937...neral-in-texas

Scores of people turned up for Joseph Walker's funeral Monday in Texas — not because they knew him, but because they knew the Vietnam-era veteran was at risk of being buried without anyone in attendance.

The dichotomy of hundreds of people showing up to this man's funeral when no one was there to see his last breath or hold his hand, it's hard to fathom.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:44 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,969,810 times
I hate to sound negative but he's gone. No real reason to show up. Now if somebody wanted to make sure he had a proper burial and paid for it I could see that being something. But too late to show him love.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 AM

2,706 posts, read 5,214,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I hate to sound negative but he's gone. No real reason to show up. Now if somebody wanted to make sure he had a proper burial and paid for it I could see that being something. But too late to show him love.
Agreed..

Old Today, 11:47 AM

18,510 posts, read 15,521,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
This.

You really want to make a difference? Call or write your Federal reps and tell them you want the VA fixed.
You have no way of knowing whether anyone did that, or not. Out of all those people, I'm sure there were many who volunteer in other capacities, and try to enact change. There's no reason at all to think they went to the funeral but don't do anything else to help vets. Most people who are going to get off their butts to attend a strangers funeral are good citizens in general.

They went to the funeral because it was in the news, so they heard about it. Most of them didn't know this man existed before. How would they have? How is it their fault that they didn't hear of a lonely veteran in their community before?? Again, how would they have?

If he didn't even have friends or neighbors who came, chances are he was a loner and kept to himself. Maybe he didn't want strangers coming over and keeping him company, maybe he didn't want company.

I don't get why people have to have a good gesture torn apart because it wasn't "enough" of a good gesture. According to who?

This doesn't mean we shouldn't have volunteer programs for those who are lonely and want company, but there's no reason to disparage the people who showed up to pay respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or