U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 08:24 AM

9,793 posts, read 20,691,761 times

Advertisements

Best Buy to offer job back to Army veteran who was let go as a security guard for helping deputies catch a suspect on the run
Quote:
UPDATE 1/29/2019: Best Buy reversed its decision and said it would be offering Tyler his job back, according to Sacramento news station FOX 40.

“We made a decision to terminate our employee for violating our clear policies but have had reason to take another look at what happened,” the company said in a statement on Monday. “In the end, we understand he made a split-second decision to do what he thought was right and, while we wish he hadn’t put himself or anyone else at risk, we regret our initial decision and will be offering him his job back.”
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:29 AM

4,158 posts, read 2,289,306 times
Somebody give this guy a better paying job ASAP!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:37 AM

10,847 posts, read 6,148,773 times
A few years ago was web surfing and reading one of those hippy dippy forums, these people who couch surf and basically live like stoner bums intentionally. They had a list of stores and locations you could steal from and not get stopped by security, and how much you could steal at a time so they would not pursue you. I found this incredibly disturbing to say the least. We all pay for that with increased prices from losses.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 AM

5,394 posts, read 1,794,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Somebody give this guy a better paying job ASAP!
If only there were one, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A few years ago was web surfing and reading one of those hippy dippy forums, these people who couch surf and basically live like stoner bums intentionally. They had a list of stores and locations you could steal from and not get stopped by security, and how much you could steal at a time so they would not pursue you. I found this incredibly disturbing to say the least. We all pay for that with increased prices from losses.
"That" is probably about as meaningful as the sites that show how to make silencers and 200-round clips. If you're going to be disturbed by every fringe/fruitcake post on the net, or give credence to them, well...

Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 AM

6,114 posts, read 3,320,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
They reversed their decision but I have to wonder why they have a security guard if he canít do anything? I understand not allowing cashiers and other employees, but what good is he if he canít do his job?
That reminds me of a TV lawyer series, maybe The Practice had a episode were they were suing an "armed response" home security company because the armed guard responded and sat outside waiting for the police. That we have turned security guards into scarecrows is scary because people have learned that the scarecrow will do nothing.

With that loss of respect when security guards are actually tasked to do something besides wear a uniform we complain.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:40 AM

946 posts, read 969,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If this happened in the 70s, 80s or 90s, the guy would be a hero in the community and probably given a promotion by the company.
Actually, we had an incident here in the mid 90s where a man (with an diagnosed heart condition) died while being detained by two store employees in the Best Buy parking lot after stealing several thousand dollars of computer equipment. The company settled out of court in the civil suit. I wouldn't be surprised if that incident helped set the policy under which this guy was fired.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM

18,662 posts, read 15,584,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Actually, we had an incident here in the mid 90s where a man (with an diagnosed heart condition) died while being detained by two store employees in the Best Buy parking lot after stealing several thousand dollars of computer equipment. The company settled out of court in the civil suit. I wouldn't be surprised if that incident helped set the policy under which this guy was fired.
Right. It's not like security guards have training like cops, they are glorified babysitters. There would be all kinds of issues if you start letting low wage, untrained employees decide what to do with thieves.This guy happens to be a vet, but it's hardly the case for all, and standards have to be the same across corporate stores.

When you let low wage, low skilled employees decide what to do about theft, you get stories like the one at the top of this forum "McDonald's employee body slams woman for trying to steal a soda". Then you get giant lawsuits.

When it comes to corporate policies, you can't start trying to give exceptions because this guy was a veteran or that guy is a black belt. They will only work if they are cookie cutter across the board.

Old Today, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 65 times
I think a lot of company loss prevention departments are mainly for show. I know people that work in the space and most of their company policies are to just let it walk from the store. Companies use it as write-offs and talking up the LP departments give the empty suits something to discuss at board meetings.

From an employee standpoint it isn't worth getting shot or shanked for $9 an hour either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events