Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 03:35 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,648,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But people are saying the problem isn't just weight, it's girth. So a 'fix' would need to be something other than the 'charge by the pound' solution some are proposing.
Plus I'm wondering if somewhere some store charges less for plus size clothing if it's in the petites department, but I suspect the price is the same as the regular plus size clothing. Maybe charge double for the folks that are both big and tall?

I don't agree with the charge by the pound solution. Charging for two seats when one isn't able to fit into one seat is an appropriate solution.

Big/Tall sizes are regularly more expensive. Not in all cases, but in a great many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:12 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Thanks for the framework on what is acceptable to complain about and what is not. This thread will be much better since guidelines have now been established.
It's a sad commentary when some kind of directive toward common decency is needed, which I highly doubt will occur given the ugliness expressed thus far. Your smarmy response certainly doesn't add anything either...

Old 02-05-2019, 05:15 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I don't agree with the charge by the pound solution. Charging for two seats when one isn't able to fit into one seat is an appropriate solution.

Big/Tall sizes are regularly more expensive. Not in all cases, but in a great many.
Tailored clothes are definitely more expensive for bigger folks, regardless of whether it's fat, muscle, or just height.

I also don't agree with charging by the pound. Some people weighing 215 pounds are going to take up two seats. Harry Kane and Alex Ovechkin certainly aren't.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Tailored clothes are definitely more expensive for bigger folks, regardless of whether it's fat, muscle, or just height.

I also don't agree with charging by the pound. Some people weighing 215 pounds are going to take up two seats. Harry Kane and Alex Ovechkin certainly aren't.

It's girth which should matter. One airline (forgot which) simply does not allow more than a 1-inch encroachment into another seat. That's how it should be.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:34 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think one solution would be for airlines to make people pay double if they take up two seats. That way, they don't have to worry about their seatmate complaining. If I were spilling over into someone's seat, I'd be apologizing to them. Seats on planes are smaller than they used to be but I still think until there's a solution for that, passengers should buy two tickets if they take up two seats.
How about paying by the pound like freight?

Old 02-06-2019, 12:50 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Pay by waist size would be the most effective.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Pay by waist size would be the most effective.
Sure but they'd have to measure everyone's waist prior to boarding.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:19 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If it were your airline, would you like to manage that process? Everyone stepping on a scale prior to boarding, and adjusting ticket fares accordingly? No flight would ever arrive on time.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:40 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sure but they'd have to measure everyone's waist prior to boarding.
They can just make the door you go through to board the plane the same width as a seat. If you have to turn at all to enter, you pay more.

I kid, sorta.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Oh, don't even let the airlines go there. The first thing they'd do is set a "standard" ticket price for "standard" weight. And whatever that standard weight would be, it would be far lower than any normal person would weigh. Then they'd charge for each pound over the weight. We'd ALL be paying more. It would end up just being another money making fee for the airline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events