U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:52 AM

5,033 posts, read 1,756,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm not hostile, I'm a realist. They are fat. They didn't get that way by pushing away from the dinner table and engaging in a suitable, healthy amount of exercise. That's their right and their business.

My empathy and compassion end when they demand the rest of us bend over for them... by calling us rude when we refuse to be "PC Silent" while they squeeze us out of our airline seats.

That poor passenger had sweaty blubber coming at her from both sides. Anybody who would sit there for an entire flight and not ask for another seat is a fool.

I don't have the most flying experience...so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...but when you buy your airline ticket (unless you're flying Southwest) you PICK if you want window seat, and aisle seat, etc. Of course...the longer you wait to buy a ticket, the less you have to choose from...but ultimately...that woman picked a middle seat. The onus is on her. And if she was flying economy class...again, the onus is on her.

Now...I HAVE flown often enough, to know that you're basically getting into a sardine can, when you fly. And when you fly Southwest, you're basically getting on flying city buss packed with all walks of life. Check your expectations. There WILL be crying babies. There WILL be heavy people. There WILL be smelly people and bad breath. There WILL be someone coughing and sneezing.

If your sensibilities are SOOOO delicate, then you need a private plane. Or you need a greyhound bus, or a limo. Because when you fly on a commercial airline...you get all kinds of humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:09 AM

8,335 posts, read 5,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't have the most flying experience...so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...but when you buy your airline ticket (unless you're flying Southwest) you PICK if you want window seat, and aisle seat, etc. Of course...the longer you wait to buy a ticket, the less you have to choose from...but ultimately...that woman picked a middle seat. The onus is on her. And if she was flying economy class...again, the onus is on her.

Now...I HAVE flown often enough, to know that you're basically getting into a sardine can, when you fly. And when you fly Southwest, you're basically getting on flying city buss packed with all walks of life. Check your expectations. There WILL be crying babies. There WILL be heavy people. There WILL be smelly people and bad breath. There WILL be someone coughing and sneezing.

If your sensibilities are SOOOO delicate, then you need a private plane. Or you need a greyhound bus, or a limo. Because when you fly on a commercial airline...you get all kinds of humanity.
If you're buying a row of seats of something, sure. But the last few times I flew, I did not get the option to pick.

That said, last time I went to Atlanta from FL, I decided to try the Megabus instead of flying (after a bad flying experience during my last trip up there.) Megabus was 8 hours. A flight is 1.25 hours. I'll gladly take the Megabus again next time I go up. Would be great if Amtrak ran a direct train from Orlando to Atlanta, but it doesn't.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

11,303 posts, read 7,966,768 times
I had this happen to me recently but I dealt with it, the poor woman's rear-end literally could not fit in the seat.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

3,418 posts, read 1,772,928 times
Quote:

The bottom line is this, Ms. Sassybluesy. When we pay for a seat -- an entire seat -- we are the ONLY ones entitled to take up any part of that seat and the space around it. If you wish to render part of your seat, go ahead. I do not and I will not.

But... see... how do I say this without offending? I fit in my airline seats because I believe one occasional brownie is fine, but a dozen a day are not. I seriously wonder about the girth of those who are defending the fat seat thieves and chastising me for being... (ahem)... "rude".

Old Today, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
If you're buying a row of seats of something, sure. But the last few times I flew, I did not get the option to pick.

That said, last time I went to Atlanta from FL, I decided to try the Megabus instead of flying (after a bad flying experience during my last trip up there.) Megabus was 8 hours. A flight is 1.25 hours. I'll gladly take the Megabus again next time I go up. Would be great if Amtrak ran a direct train from Orlando to Atlanta, but it doesn't.

In life, you make choices.

If the megabus works for you, that's awesome. Sincerely.

This woman chose to fly. She wasn't mandated to fly. No one held a gun to her head and said "We will kill your children unless you sit between these 2 people."

Geez, the last time I flew from St. Louis to San Diego, the girl in the aisle seat fell asleep and had her head on my shoulder for a couple of hours. I COULD'VE made a stink about it...but my expectations about flying is "It's going to unpleasant. It's going to be crowded. It's temporary. Grin and bear it, and don't be part of the problem."

Old Today, 09:25 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,780,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
All were rude, but that being said, I also would have demanded another seat. I don't blame the woman one bit for that part of it.
I agree but the way she went about it was over the top. I would not want to be in the middle of those two people. I always select either aisle or window and pay extra to select my seat. You are taking a gamble if you willingly select the middle seat.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

8,335 posts, read 5,759,016 times
Quote:

This woman chose to fly. She wasn't mandated to fly. No one held a gun to her head and said "We will kill your children unless you sit between these 2 people."

Geez, the last time I flew from St. Louis to San Diego, the girl in the aisle seat fell asleep and had her head on my shoulder for a couple of hours. I COULD'VE made a stink about it...but my expectations about flying is "It's going to unpleasant. It's going to be crowded. It's temporary. Grin and bear it, and don't be part of the problem."
Yes. And that is my point.
For me, a comfortable 8 hour ride beats a hectic 1.5 hours in an airport, a very uncomfortable 1.25 hour flight, and then another hour exiting an airport.

That said, I would not take a bus ride exceeding 10 hours.

I too have been stuck between very large people. I decided to do something about it, and that did not include being rude to fellow passengers.

Old Today, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yes. And that is my point.
For me, a comfortable 8 hour ride beats a hectic 1.5 hours in an airport, a very uncomfortable 1.25 hour flight, and then another hour exiting an airport.

That said, I would not take a bus ride exceeding 10 hours.

I too have been stuck between very large people. I decided to do something about it, and that did not include being rude to fellow passengers.

I think we're both in agreement basically.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

1,166 posts, read 605,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No need to be so hostile, but I thought most airlines already do this... has that changed recently?

I love how you just assume it's their "disgusting habit of overeating," without even knowing these people. They are still humans, regardless of how or why they got that large; and your complete disregard for that is more offensive than a dozen "heavyweights" crammed into coach seating. Learn some empathy and compassion, ffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
1) Given that you don't know WHY they're overweight, would your response have been more muted if a medical condition made them obese? I'm not saying that whatever the reason they're overweight, that they shouldn't pay for two seats. I'm wondering why your response has been so verbally aggressive, and seems angry.

2) Dare I say, your response wasn't seen as rude because of what you said, but how you said it. A person can be quite vocal, and direct without being rude -- or PC. Not being PC (or being PC) has nothing to do with being rude.

Oh boy...2 more "fat apologists". Yeah, I know how they "got that large"...by eating much more than they burn off and being unable to have any discipline about their bodies, food intake or exercise.."ffs".

Take emotions out of it and realize this is the case...if it weren't then in WW2 concentration camps/gulags, there would have been obese people who were overweight despite being starved & worked to the bone ...funny how in those places there weren't any who had "glandular problems" or other reasons that resulted in them being obese.....An extreme example I know but proves the point that if a person burns off more than they take in , it is impossible for them to become fat.

Old Today, 09:56 AM

2,610 posts, read 1,687,429 times
Quote:

So, you really think that lower expectations equal justification for others bad behavior? By that logic, you can allow people to get away with practically anything, just by invoking ‘low expectations’. Sorry, but I don’t believe that I need to expect to be the meat in a fat sandwich when I buy a seat. Those two also chose to fly, and knew damn well they needed an empty middle seat.

You must be willing to take a lot of chit in your life, by accepting lower expectations. I expect people to have a basic respect towards others, and will not hesitate to speak up for myself when needed. Try it sometime. You may like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or