Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
I agree 100% but the airlines are are stuck....they tried doing something like that but then the "fat rights" people, libtaards, PC idiots and other snowflakes all got into it (with the obvious media coverage) shouting "FAT SHAMING, FAT SHAMING!!!" as if those people didn't bring it upon themselves and are deserving of such criticism. But, that's the world (or mostly, country) we live in today....no one is ever accountable or responsible for their own plight...it's always someone else's fault (mostly white males if you go by what's being puked out in the media & society today).
In general I don't care how fat people let themselves get, but on an airplane it's a safety issue. They should start asking for weights when people book their tickets and charged accordingly, and in extreme cases charge them for an extra seat. If they aren't within 10 lbs of their stated weights at boarding they lose their flight and their money.
That's what I would change if I were in charge of things anyway, not that my opinion matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 10:45 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,420,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Oh boy...2 more "fat apologists". Yeah, I know how they "got that large"...by eating much more than they burn off and being unable to have any discipline about their bodies, food intake or exercise.."ffs".

Take emotions out of it and realize this is the case...if it weren't then in WW2 concentration camps/gulags, there would have been obese people who were overweight despite being starved & worked to the bone ...funny how in those places there weren't any who had "glandular problems" or other reasons that resulted in them being obese.....An extreme example I know but proves the point that if a person burns off more than they take in , it is impossible for them to become fat.

I noticed that the Fat Acceptance Group seems to have ignored the logic put forth in luckyram's comment.

I'm copying it to make sure they didn't miss it.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM

37,431 posts, read 45,630,174 times
Wish I could find a copy of the nurse’s FB post. Clearly she has a few violence/anger issues. I would bet that her post got slammed, if she left it public.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-30-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 10:57 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,003,193 times
I just read the article... What exactly is the relevance of her being an "award-winning nurse?" Who cares? Most nurses I know (And I know A LOT) have won some type of award at some point or another.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,936,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
In general I don't care how fat people let themselves get, but on an airplane it's a safety issue. They should start asking for weights when people book their tickets and charged accordingly, and in extreme cases charge them for an extra seat. If they aren't within 10 lbs of their stated weights at boarding they lose their flight and their money.
That's what I would change if I were in charge of things anyway, not that my opinion matters.

At what point do you want people to be weighed? Should there be a medical scale up by the cockpit, and as passengers board, they have to get weighed?

And how will the airline reimburse the people who get turned away?

And...out of curiosity...since it's such a danger...how many planes have crashed because it was filled with fat people? I mean...was flight MH370 because of someone fat? Do you have any verifiable proof that a commercial flight crashed because of fat people?[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 01-30-2019, 11:06 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,718,012 times
Some are losing sight of the issue, instead focusing on the reason for those passengers' obesity. Who cares?

The issue is that it takes a lot of chutzpah for two obese traveling companions, who can't (or don't want to) sit next to each other, to subject unsuspecting passengers to their spillage, then to get their noses out of joint about "verbal abuse."

If that foul-mouthed dame (and there was only one of them) had to pay more because she weighs more, she wouldn't feel so entitled. And that's issue 2: United and other airlines are remiss in not addressing this appropriately.

Until then, the only ones who should be inconvenienced or made uncomfortable, are the obese passengers.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,936,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I just read the article... What exactly is the relevance of her being an "award-winning nurse?" Who cares? Most nurses I know (And I know A LOT) have won some type of award at some point or another.

I'm thinking it's to somewhat subtly suggesting that this woman, though fat, had worth, and was a valuable member of society.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,534,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
At what point do you want people to be weighed? Should there be a medical scale up by the cockpit, and as passengers board, they have to get weighed?

And...out of curiosity...since it's such a danger...how many planes have crashed because it was filled with fat people? I mean...was flight MH370 because of someone fat? Do you have any verifiable proof that a commercial flight crashed because of fat people?[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
No I don't, but theoretically they way they ignore weight and count adults as the same a sold out flight could be filled with enough morbidly obese people to create a safety problem taking off. Why shouldn't a 300lb+ person be charged extra for the same ticket a 150lb pays for? what's your argument on why that's fair?

Old 01-30-2019, 11:13 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,420,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

Ask the USPS if weight matters. If not, we'd all be paying the same shipping rate, whether mailing a feather pillow or a case of bowling balls.

Yes, there should be a scale at the ticket counter. The staff should be able to use their digression as to who steps onto it and who doesn't.

But heaven forbid we use commonsense. That would make way for a ton of lawsuits... while the rest of us get squeezed and ridiculed for not taping shut our months.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM

125 posts, read 164,079 times
Don't know what it is about these kind of threads but damn, there's some angry folks on here lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events