U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

2,826 posts, read 1,967,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It's not so much about adaptation, it's just that animals don't need to go out and work for a living to keep a roof over their head. Ever hear about migration and hibernation?
Also every year there are some animals that freeze to death in bad situations.

Unfortunately I had an aunt with dementia that got up one night to go to the bathroom and mistakenly went out the back door and could not get back in and froze to death on the lawn. I actually heard about it on a radio broadcast, this was in RI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM

2,538 posts, read 936,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry to say, but people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!

I heard a coworker talking about this from a different perspective, something Ive never thought about, we get these extreme cold temps every year for the most part, but deaths from exposure continue to happen year after year...why are humans not 'adapting' or evolving to their environments? It seems logical that since this has been something certain areas have to deal with every year, the human body would 'adapt' in order to survive, maybe adding more body fat before winter comes or some other physical mechanism that would allow the body the survive extreme cold.

Human's do adapt very well. As a Canadian who survives without any trouble when it is cold, I say it is adaptation and preparedness that enables us to survive. My African immigrant friends tell me they would rather contend with cold and prefer it over the heat of their home countries. Happy here.

Quote:
the human body would 'adapt'
In the deep cold just add a layer of clothing the colder it gets. Maybe a knitted winter top then over that a sweater/cardigan, over that a hoodie, scarf, balaclava. and then the winter coat overall. Wear a hat to stop heat from escaping through the top of your head. Body heat trapped under the layers keeps you warm as toast.

In polar weather, if you fall into the snow drunk and pass out you will die if someone does not discover you soon enough to warm you up. If you fall down in the blazing sun from thirst and heatstroke you will die if someone does not rescue you soon enough to give you drink and cool you off.

Quote:
people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!
Your home in California a survivable place to live. Raging heat, fires, earthquakes, shortage of water but people flock there. Residents just accept the conditions they live under where ever they hang their hat.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

9,310 posts, read 7,408,855 times
"23 people killed as a result of extreme weather conditions!"

How about a reality check:
"23 people died as a result of not being prepared for extreme weather conditions!"

Oh, I know, it is extremely inappropriate to speak ill of the dead. Never, EVER state the obvious, that they simply were not prepared.
Even if it is true...

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

5,278 posts, read 2,043,785 times
Quote:
Im sorry to say, but people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!

I heard a coworker talking about this from a different perspective, something Ive never thought about, we get these extreme cold temps every year for the most part, but deaths from exposure continue to happen year after year...why are humans not 'adapting' or evolving to their environments? It seems logical that since this has been something certain areas have to deal with every year, the human body would 'adapt' in order to survive, maybe adding more body fat before winter comes or some other physical mechanism that would allow the body the survive extreme cold.
You don't have to adapt your body to the environment if you are not exposed to it. That's what humans do... avoid their environments instead of adapt to them. Technically, a human can succumb to hypothermia at temperatures below 56 F. That isn't extreme at all. We create heated shelter, design insulating clothing and transportation, find ways to dismiss reality. We use use our brains to survive bad conditions, not our bodies. There are humans who can tolerate somewhat colder conditions than other humans (Inuit, Sherpas) but even they still rely on their inventions and knowledge, not their bodies. Even if you did happen to be adapted to some sort of poor weather there is no guarantee you'll survive something out of the ordinary if you are not in perfect condition. Animals who are physically adapted to a severe place also die in extreme events.

This was out of the ordinary.

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

5,180 posts, read 1,711,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

"23 people died as a result of not being prepared for extreme weather conditions!"
So when you're turned into a 100-foot red smear we can just cluck knowingly and say you weren't prepared for a drunk driver on your street?

Or when you choke on a bite of filet mignon we can smugly say you weren't prepared for a cow that decided to fight back?

Or when a minor flu variant knocks you dead in 36 hours we can laugh about how you weren't prepared to fight an itty-bitty bug?

Yes, some of these people probably did stupid, inadvisable things. But underestimating just how vicious and deadly this kind of weather can be is not a willful fault of every victim. Only a few small pockets of the US have seen these conditions in recent generations.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

3,370 posts, read 2,950,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

Oh, I know, it is extremely inappropriate to speak ill of the dead. Never, EVER state the obvious, that they simply were not prepared.
Even if it is true...
You can be prepared and still die. All it takes is one mistake or even a little mishap. No one is perfect.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,412,259 times
Something must've happened to him other than just being in the cold.

I was out in it, 15 miles away from where he was.
About five minutes was enough... it got hard to breathe and my face was starting to hurt!

From Thursday AM to Saturday Noon, the temperature went up 75 degrees. Craziest weather I've ever seen.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

12,098 posts, read 8,081,702 times
In a way he is fortunate that he died a painless death. So many seniors can only dream of having a pain free unassisted death.

Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM

10,797 posts, read 7,865,831 times
I do think freezing to death must be one of the more peaceful ways to go, considering you just "go to sleep" but that's pretty morbid.
There have been some awful pictures of blackened, frostbitten faces! Ewwww!

Old Today, 12:55 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,384,543 times
Quote:
Well, all the chicken littles are saying that the world is warming up, and will get hot as Hades any minute now. So why bother adapting to colder temperatures, if the world is supposed to get unbearably warm? Except when it doesn't!

Unless of course, cold = "weather", and warm = "climate". In which case, I'm too busy facepalming to argue. As for increasing body fat, McDonald's et al. are at your service.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; Today at 01:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or