U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

2,996 posts, read 1,284,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I do think freezing to death must be one of the more peaceful ways to go, considering you just "go to sleep" but that's pretty morbid.
There have been some awful pictures of blackened, frostbitten faces! Ewwww!
I've thought about this. Layer up the face and extremities so the torso goes first. In case you get inadvertently rescued.

But this poor guy, so close to warmth....but stuck outside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

5,203 posts, read 1,721,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Every other species of animal adapts and evolves to whatever climate they live in (over time of course), also, when that climate changed, the animals changed too, if it suddenly got much colder, they grew more fat, fur, feathers, etc so they could survive the new climate.
You are confusing some very long time frames (thousands of years and hundreds of generations, if not more) and the notion of "environment."

Large populations have only been in North America for about 250 years, maybe 300 if you want to stretch the definition. And for nearly all of that time, the vast majority of that population lived in self-controlled conditions - indoors, with at least some insulation from extreme heat and almost universal protection against cold. Our "climate" is that of the living room. We're not going to adapt to what we see through the windows.

Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 937,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You don't have to adapt your body to the environment if you are not exposed to it. That's what humans do... avoid their environments instead of adapt to them. Technically, a human can succumb to hypothermia at temperatures below 56 F. That isn't extreme at all. We create heated shelter, design insulating clothing and transportation, find ways to dismiss reality. We use use our brains to survive bad conditions, not our bodies. There are humans who can tolerate somewhat colder conditions than other humans (Inuit, Sherpas) but even they still rely on their inventions and knowledge, not their bodies. Even if you did happen to be adapted to some sort of poor weather there is no guarantee you'll survive something out of the ordinary if you are not in perfect condition. Animals who are physically adapted to a severe place also die in extreme events.

This was out of the ordinary.
Maybe I can explain better about body acclimatization.

I can go out in a T-shirt and hoodie in 32F (the freezing point) because my body is acclimatized to periods of subzero weather, I am warm. To someone living where temps are hot all year they would be wearing parkas (heavy winter coats) at 32F, therefore their bodies are not acclimatized to cold weather.

Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM

21,088 posts, read 27,106,380 times
Quote:
We should be seeing at least some changes now though, Another poster mentioned the Inuit people, the changes to them has been noticeable, why no one else?
Because it's happening too fast.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Maybe I can explain better about body acclimatization.

I can go out in a T-shirt and hoodie in 32F (the freezing point) because my body is acclimatized to periods of subzero weather, I am warm. To someone living where temps are hot all year they would be wearing parkas (heavy winter coats) at 32F, therefore their bodies are not acclimatized to cold weather.
There was nothing wrong with the explanation you quoted. That poster lives in Alaska and is well-acquainted with body acclimatization.

Yes, you can go out in a t-shirt and a hoodie and not feel cold. You're still going to freeze to death at a certain point. The point was that human populations have always lived in places where they'd die if they didn't have protection from the elements.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 06:34 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Not only that, he was working a sh%t Fedex job at 70 - what a nightmarish way to spend retirement age years. This may sound really cold, but maybe this wasn't such a bad thing.
Yes, it is cold, and it isn't up to you to decide that the quality of his life made it not worth living. SMH. Only on C-D.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 06:36 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

9,797 posts, read 13,703,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In a way he is fortunate that he died a painless death. So many seniors can only dream of having a pain free unassisted death.
Uh, no? The realization, fear, desperation of the situation can't be a good way to die. Not to mention being exposed to those kinds of temperatures is most likely not pain free. I know that when I spend much time in negative temps my hands and feet can become quite painful from the cold. Personally I think it sounds like a pretty awful way to go.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

4,138 posts, read 3,710,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
The Inuit people have adapted. Short and stocky with fat layers. So have the Quechua of the high mountains of Peru/Ecuador. Same short and stocky with fat that lets them survive in cold or high altitude situations.

In temps like these, metal freezes and locks and doors might freeze shut, some poor person trying to get in.
The locks on my moving truck were frozen one day. I tore an old reciept in my pocket and rolled it thin, stuck it in the lock keyhole and lit it with my lighter like a fuse. It worked.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

780 posts, read 1,448,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The "climate" has been "changing" ever since pre-humans decided they didn't want to live in trees anymore. And even before that too, like during the Jurassic period with the dinosaurs; it was much warmer back then. All long before cars, factories, and methane-farting cows existed.
Sure, the climate was always changing... but never, EVER had it happened at such lightening speed!! (What is a 100-200 years on a geological scale?)

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

14,163 posts, read 7,702,005 times
Quote:
We should be seeing at least some changes now though, Another poster mentioned the Inuit people, the changes to them has been noticeable, why no one else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
There's others. The Masai are very tall and lean. Pygmies are, well, you know. All adapted to their climate.
Quote:
Yes and they have been around the same amount of time too.
How long has the Arctic been as cold as it is? How about Kenya for the Massai?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or