U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2019, 07:03 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
75,082 posts, read 66,748,748 times
Reputation: 71961

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry to say, but people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!


I heard a coworker talking about this from a different perspective, something Ive never thought about, we get these extreme cold temps every year for the most part, but deaths from exposure continue to happen year after year...why are humans not 'adapting' or evolving to their environments? It seems logical that since this has been something certain areas have to deal with every year, the human body would 'adapt' in order to survive, maybe adding more body fat before winter comes or some other physical mechanism that would allow the body the survive extreme cold.
The trend over the eons with humans has been away from fur, and toward totally smooth skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2019, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
781 posts, read 1,448,527 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The governor of Florida banned terms "global warming" et al. from official state publications. Which I commend him for. (But he also denied funding to Florida passenger rail, so I kind of have a beef with him too.) Anyway, he did offer useful synonyms, like "climate change = erratic weather patterns" and "sea level rise = coastal flooding"..
CLIMATE CHANGE is a perfect "synonym" and is actually the correct term! No need for making up others.
That should also take care of the chuckling regarding overall warming while some places are having cold snaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Every other species of animal adapts and evolves to whatever climate they live in (over time of course), also, when that climate changed, the animals changed too...
MillennialUrbanist, here is exactly the point: at any other point in history changes took long enough that allowed animals to evolve and adopt, over hundreds of generations. But how MANY species of animals had died out in just the last 100-200 years?? How many more will die in another 50??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
781 posts, read 1,448,527 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Sure, the climate was always changing... but never, EVER had it happened at such lightening speed!! (What is a 100-200 years on a geological scale?)
This is a major difference from any natural calamities of before.

The only thing remotely similar that comes to mind (as far as fauna being affected on such global scale) is dinosaur extinction!

Though it actually took about 165 million years for the dinosaurs to become extinct!! And, to human eye and on human time scale, back then we would not have even noticed that ANYTHING out of ordinary was happening, at all!) The fact that we are noticing such changes now means... they are actually scary fast!

You may think those of us concerned as "Chicken Littles"... well, I imagine ostriches, instead, hiding their head in the sand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
781 posts, read 1,448,527 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Every other species of animal adapts and evolves to whatever climate they live in (over time of course), also, when that climate changed, the animals changed too, if it suddenly got much colder, they grew more fat, fur, feathers, etc. so they could survive the new climate.
"SUDDENLY" is a very relative concept, in terms of evolution... "Suddenly" could mean a thousand of years, tens of thousands... for animals to be able to adapt! Especially to something as harsh as the Arctic.

Besides, we humans are smart and are capable of changing our immediate environment (houses), instead... Which also happens to be much more effective way, and one that also ensures immediate safety for any current generations, vs. relying on biological adaptations which takes hundreds (if not thousands!) of generations! With many, many individuals dying off early along the way.

So humans discovered a better way to survive, losing the need for continuously evolving physical adaptations, and our evolution favored developing better brains, instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We should be seeing at least some changes now though, Another poster mentioned the Inuit people, the changes to them has been noticeable, why no one else?
Those changes they have are relatively small. And even those took a long enough time...

We are still the same species with minimum differences, capable of reproducing together. Also, they are not capable of surviving completely out in the elements, either... Unlike, say, polar bear or walrus. But they ARE perfectly capable of moving across the globe and still surviving just fine - WITH the help of some human-specific "adaptations" such as ability to change our environments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2019, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Crook County, Illinois
3,209 posts, read 1,385,818 times
Reputation: 3949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
To claim that because a relatively small portion of the globe was unusually cold for a period of several days thereby proves that the entire globe is not warming in the long term demonstrates a special kind of ignorance. It's like walking by three skinny people in the mall and concluding that proves the obesity rate isn't increasing.
Are you familiar with mathematical logic? In math, the opposite of "for all" (symbol: upside-down A) isn't "none", it's "there exists" (symbol: backwards E). Here's a real life example: someone tells you "All Americans are fat." You'll come back with: "No, all Americans aren't fat." But remember: in math, there's no such thing as emphasis or tone. Go ahead and say "all Americans aren't fat" in monotone; it'd be wrong too. To properly negate that person's statement, you'd have to say: "No, there's at least one American who's isn't fat." Which effectively makes the "all" part false. So, if at least one region on Earth is getting colder, then the "warming" isn't "global", now is it? "But, but, but... climate change". The gig is up: people on both sides of the argument know it's a transparent euphemism for "global warming". Which doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Every other species of animal adapts and evolves to whatever climate they live in (over time of course), also, when that climate changed, the animals changed too, if it suddenly got much colder, they grew more fat, fur, feathers, etc so they could survive the new climate.
Well, if you look at it that way, the increasing obesity rate in America can be seen as an adaptation to the warming, er... cooling "climate". I mean, if the "warming" planet brings colder winters, then perhaps we Americans are adapting to the increasingly colder, longer winters by gaining weight. Unfortunately, neither our bodies or evolution at large have a way of knowing there's a McDonald's on every corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
 
7,950 posts, read 1,985,693 times
Reputation: 5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
"SUDDENLY" is a very relative concept, in terms of evolution... "Suddenly" could mean a thousand of years, tens of thousands... for animals to be able to adapt! Especially to something as harsh as the Arctic.

Besides, we humans are smart and are capable of changing our immediate environment (houses), instead... Which also happens to be much more effective way, and one that also ensures immediate safety for any current generations, vs. relying on biological adaptations which takes hundreds (if not thousands!) of generations! With many, many individuals dying off early along the way.

So humans discovered a better way to survive, losing the need for continuously evolving physical adaptations, and our evolution favored developing better brains, instead!



Those changes they have are relatively small. And even those took a long enough time...

We are still the same species with minimum differences, capable of reproducing together. Also, they are not capable of surviving completely out in the elements, either... Unlike, say, polar bear or walrus. But they ARE perfectly capable of moving across the globe and still surviving just fine - WITH the help of some human-specific "adaptations" such as ability to change our environments
Ive always thought that was strange, humans are the ONLY species that cannot survive completely out in the elements.


Thats actually a pretty good argument for intelligent design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
 
143 posts, read 47,256 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
It is sad that at 69, this guy still had to work at Fed Ex.
Yes, I had thought the same thing! May he rest in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
 
3,148 posts, read 1,562,068 times
Reputation: 3373
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry to say, but people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!


I heard a coworker talking about this from a different perspective, something Ive never thought about, we get these extreme cold temps every year for the most part, but deaths from exposure continue to happen year after year...why are humans not 'adapting' or evolving to their environments? It seems logical that since this has been something certain areas have to deal with every year, the human body would 'adapt' in order to survive, maybe adding more body fat before winter comes or some other physical mechanism that would allow the body the survive extreme cold.
Sadly, I believe this is meant to be a serious post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
 
3,148 posts, read 1,562,068 times
Reputation: 3373
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive always thought that was strange, humans are the ONLY species that cannot survive completely out in the elements.


Thats actually a pretty good argument for intelligent design.
Wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
13,918 posts, read 7,865,176 times
Reputation: 28326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Headline - "Found Frozen to Death"

First sentence - "the bitter cold played a role in the death"


Two sentences later - "the cause of death is unknown"




For all they know, the guy had a massive stroke and the cold played no part whatsoever in it.
Exactly. Fail on the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top