U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

21,090 posts, read 27,112,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You're really going to pick on a verb tense, here?
The poster makes it clear that she's writing in present tense with this phrase:

Quote:
They do it the way man in the North has always done
Not the first time this poster has come up with something misleading about Alaska, and I'm curious about what makes her an "expert."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

9,318 posts, read 7,414,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You can be prepared and still die. All it takes is one mistake or even a little mishap. No one is perfect.

I did not claim that any people are "perfect".
One does not have to be "perfect" to dress appropriately for expected weather conditions. Especially when NWS broadcasts warnings about anticipated severe weather conditions on a daily (often hourly) basis. Such warnings are broadcast on local radio and television stations as soon as NWS makes them available.
One does not have to be "perfect" to drive carefully when roadways are snowpacked or icy. Also, one does not have to be "perfect" to understand that while four wheel drive may help you get going, it will not help you stop or turn!
Yes, even well prepared people can die in severe weather. Quite often because they thought they were "well prepared", but they actually were not. By the time they discovered that they were not prepared, it was too late.
The "weather" was not at fault.
This morning, I had to fill the car with gas. While I was dressed warmly enough to drive the car, I was not dressed to spend more than a minute or two outside the car at 3 below zero. By the time I put nearly 11 gallons of gas in the car, I was miserably cold! Was it the fault of Old Man Winter? Of course not, it was my fault for not having insulated boots, insulated coveralls, insulated jacket, mittens, and a warm hat on.
Then again, by the time I got dressed like that, I probably could not get in the car, much less safely drive it!

No, it doesn't take "perfection", it merely requires a modicum of common sense.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

5,211 posts, read 1,731,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Was it the fault of Old Man Winter?
I think you're obsessing on the idea that someone's at fault here, and that someone's "blaming" winter.

I'll take None Of The Above for $500, Alex.

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

8,695 posts, read 6,418,519 times
Quote:
I think you're obsessing on the idea that someone's at fault here, and that someone's "blaming" winter.

I blame Yahoo news for the crappy article. It retroactively killed him.

Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM

900 posts, read 782,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry to say, but people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!
People should not be forced to work at 69 in the first place...

Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

9,318 posts, read 7,414,537 times
Quote:

Well, there definitely is "fault" here.
But, the cold weather was not at fault, just as hot weather is not at fault for people having heat stroke or sunburn.
Around here, we get a week or so of below zero temperatures every winter. This week is one of ours for this year. YAY!!! it is 3:26 PM, and the outdoor temp is 3 above! That is 10 degrees warmer than it was at 7 AM. The overnight low is expected to be minus 10. Wind chill temps could be as low as minus 50. If somebody goes out in that low a temp, and freezes to death, it is not the fault of the weather.
Yet, the Media will broadcast "Billings resident killed by cold weather!"
No, sorry, but the "Billings resident" died because he went outside in cold weather without being properly prepared to cope with it.
THAT is all I have been saying, no more, no less. We are all responsible for our actions. The weather, be it cold or hot, does not kill us. We do it ourselves!

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

2,221 posts, read 523,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So sad, it's scary cold out there.

I feel fortunate to live here in Southern California where it's warm enough outside without a jacket (though it gets chilly in morning).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fedex-wor...160314403.html
The company will likely fabricate a laundry list of violations the employee committed that day, to save face.

They will not, however, be able to deny the employee died on their property, in uniform, while clocked in. Sometimes that's all that matters to a courtroom.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
THAT is all I have been saying, no more, no less. We are all responsible for our actions. The weather, be it cold or hot, does not kill us. We do it ourselves!
I completely understand what you're saying - but if, say, the subject of the OP was perfectly well dressed to go out in the yard to collect a truck number or package or something, and had every reasonable intention of beign back inside in five minutes... exactly whose "fault" is it that ending up exposed for much longer ended up killing him?

You seem to stand on some absolutist rock where reasonable behavior isn't enough if something unreasonable happens - and even a 70 year old may not have experienced the extraordinary conditions that were prevailing. I don't agree that all bad things are the fault of someone who did not take into account all possibilities, including the unlikely ones. The notion of getting locked out, or stranded, in a working business environment, long enough for weather to kill you before you're let in or found or otherwise "rescued" is pretty damned unlikely.

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

3,113 posts, read 1,418,919 times
https://qctimes.com/news/local/crime...8e9a85e46.html

Speculation over...
The guy fell on his head. Probably died as soon as he hit the ground.

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Speculation over...
The guy fell on his head. Probably died as soon as he hit the ground.
Thanks for the update. Another - ahem - cold case solved.

And yet one more case where an outraged, outraged I tell you OP in this forum generates a mile of more or less irrelevant discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or