U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

1,839 posts, read 2,362,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry to say, but people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!

I heard a coworker talking about this from a different perspective, something Ive never thought about, we get these extreme cold temps every year for the most part, but deaths from exposure continue to happen year after year...why are humans not 'adapting' or evolving to their environments?
The run from the house to the car does not get my human body to adapt. Walking 6 blocks between shelters, does not get my body to adapt. Perhaps if we had no shelters,and after decades, generations and...
Why am I bothering to address someone who won't exercise their own brain? Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

3,209 posts, read 1,387,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We know the climate's getting warmer, because the ice sheets are melting at an alarming speed. The rapid melting of the Greenland ice sheet has been causing the Gulf Stream to slow down. Norway, which depends on the Gulf Stream for its habitability (Along with the UK), has been tracking that process very nervously, for well over over a decade. Once the Gulf Stream shuts down, they'll be in a mini-Ice Age. And the East Coast of North America may well be, too. We won't know until we get there. Which is going to happen much sooner than expected.
A warming climate will lead to an ice age? There's something you don't hear every day. Heck, much of America is already experiencing a colder climate, which could be a prelude to the next ice age. Today's Midwestern winters are harsher and longer than I remember them 25 years ago. We used to get T-shirt weather by April. In most recent years, we still have to wear a jacket in May. But it doesn't matter; the world is warming, riiiiight?

Nothing's warming! It's a liberal lie! What's really happening is that North America's coldest temperatures are shifting south: from Alaska and Nunavut to the US Midwest and Ontario. The reason chicken littles are pooping their pants, is that the previously coldest regions in North America are no longer the coldest. So they think the whole world is warming up. It's like Isaac Newton thinking the sky is falling after an apple fell on him.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; Yesterday at 10:09 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

133 posts, read 18,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
A warming climate will lead to an ice age? There's something you don't hear every day. Heck, much of America is already experiencing a colder climate, which could be a prelude to the next ice age. Today's Midwestern winters are harsher and longer than I remember them 25 years ago. We used to get T-shirt weather by April. In most recent years, we still have to wear a jacket in May. But it doesn't matter; the world is warming, riiiiight?
How can you remember 25 years ago if your 25 years old

Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

3,209 posts, read 1,387,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
How can you remember 25 years ago if your 25 years old
I'm 35.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

28,604 posts, read 45,943,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So sad, it's scary cold out there.

I feel fortunate to live here in Southern California where it's warm enough outside without a jacket (though it gets chilly in morning).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fedex-wor...160314403.html
69 year old victim???
That is scary aspect as well...

Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM

781 posts, read 1,449,210 times
Quote:
A warming climate will lead to an ice age? There's something you don't hear every day.
Hey, just tried to tell you yesterday:
the OCEAN currents are slowing down (because of ice that's already melted - due to overall warming!) and therefore, SOME areas won't get their life-saving warmth "delivered" to them anymore. So, for them, it WILL be colder! Local "ice age", if you will.

All perfectly logical! If only one bothers to actually read... the cause and effect

Old Today, 05:40 AM

18,518 posts, read 15,527,569 times
Quote:

Nothing's warming! It's a liberal lie! What's really happening is that North America's coldest temperatures are shifting south: from Alaska and Nunavut to the US Midwest and Ontario. The reason chicken littles are pooping their pants, is that the previously coldest regions in North America are no longer the coldest. So they think the whole world is warming up. It's like Isaac Newton thinking the sky is falling after an apple fell on him.
Itís not a lie. Itís just more complicated than you would like to believe. Yes climate change can cause extreme cold as well as heat.

Old Today, 06:18 AM

17,160 posts, read 18,516,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry to say, but people should not be living in areas where you can literally die just from being outside!

I heard a coworker talking about this from a different perspective, something Ive never thought about, we get these extreme cold temps every year for the most part, but deaths from exposure continue to happen year after year...why are humans not 'adapting' or evolving to their environments? It seems logical that since this has been something certain areas have to deal with every year, the human body would 'adapt' in order to survive, maybe adding more body fat before winter comes or some other physical mechanism that would allow the body the survive extreme cold.
We have adapted. People can survive in pretty harsh environments. However lack of or ignorant thinking is what kills people. Itís like the guy having a heart atttack but tries to play the ďIím ok I just donít feel goodĒ. No dummy youíre not feeling good because your body is saying something and youíre ignoring it.

The human body does acclimate to locations, but itís not going to miraculously start protecting you in subzero weather if you walk out in your boxers. Now some have a higher tolerance to heat or cold but that doesnít mean they are invulnerable.

Nothing short of a polar bear or a animal that literally built to live in such conditions will survive. And I bet if it gets cold enough they die too.

Old Today, 10:30 AM

3,011 posts, read 1,287,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
People should not be forced to work at 69 in the first place...
Yes, that's sad, but a reality for many in the U.S. That's why we had to leave. You are near Lake Como with benign weather all year 'round, right? Lucky you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or