U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

19,011 posts, read 12,447,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, if one could get the ship underway, then the start of conversion is to go find a carrier......ie, the Belknap?

At first, I was going to say that being on the shores of the Canaries is hardly on the bottom of the Atlantic......but then I saw that I had misread it.
Big U's engines have sat idle for decades now and likely cannot be started up at all and or without huge efforts. Replaced them with modern diesel would be a huge and expensive undertaking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/b...ean-liner.html

More to the point where would one find a crew with the knowledge and skill not just to rebuild/repair the SS United States steam power, but to run and maintain. Oh and keeping with the era when she was built the ship drank fuel like a dowager loves her booze.

Just as with steam locomotives a whole lot of damage (physical and to humans) can happen when people who don't know what they are doing mess with such systems.

History is full of such events (the Sultana is most famous), but of more recent memory you have the SS Norway: Blast, Fire in Cruise Ship's Boiler Room Kill at Least 4 - latimes

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1216613

Eight crew killed by steam-boiler explosion aboard Norway - Professional Mariner - February 2007

This being said IIRC turbo-electric via steam power is far more reliable than diesel. Almost like clockwork there are regular reports of this or that diesel cruise ship stuck out at sea when this or that power failure occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:15 AM

9,300 posts, read 5,099,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Big U's engines have sat idle for decades now and likely cannot be started up at all and or without huge efforts. Replaced them with modern diesel would be a huge and expensive undertaking.

It was a joke. Who in their right mind would want a collision with a carrier, would want to end up looking like this:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ion_damage.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There is a custom/tradition within maritime circles to see grand vessels sent to the bottom instead of scrapped. It is deemed a far more fitting and dignified way of ending their useful life.

Many moaned the same thing when the SS Normandie was gutted, cut up and sold for scrap. IIRC even a POTUS at the time stated it was far preferable for that great ocean liner (or what was left of her after a fire), to have been towed out to sea and sank.

Well, A and B.

A: I don't share those feelings of my old ship. So I saw it being scrapped on the satellite photos......C'est la vie.

B: It is interesting, is it not, how the liners go. SS United States awaiting fate, SS America bought it on the shores of the Canaries. Queen Mary is a museum, Queen Elizabeth's remains at the bottom of Hong Kong harbor. SS Andrea Doria on the bottom of the Atlantic, SS Cristoforo Colombo scrapped. SS Raffaello sunk off of Iran, SS Michelangelo scrapped.

And then, there is the SS France which had to be massively cleaned up and out before it could be scrapped.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; Today at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or