U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 12,447,333 times

Advertisements

They won't give up on the old girl! Looks like she could become a static hotel or some such purpose. Sadly the SS United States won't sail the seas again ever it seems.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...oored-facility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 PM

6,699 posts, read 8,888,448 times
It's sad when we see that things we cherished get thrown on the junk heap. Many years ago, my squadron was assigned to the U.S.S Independence CVA-62 Was wondering about its status to find that it was decommissioned and mothballed at the Bremerton ship yard.
It will never become a static hotel.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It's sad when we see that things we cherished get thrown on the junk heap. Many years ago, my squadron was assigned to the U.S.S Independence CVA-62 Was wondering about its status to find that it was decommissioned and mothballed at the Bremerton ship yard.

You know, sort of agree. Would have been better years ago if she were sent to the bottom with a dignified burial.

People get all misty eyed over the SS United States, as is their right I suppose; but there is nothing left of the old girl but a rusting hulk. Richard H. Hadley and subsequent owners largely looted the ship for anything of value that could be sold and as such stripped her not just of fittings but much more.

Modern SOLAS requirements means SS United States never will sail as a steam ship under her own power. Converting her to meet those new requirements including installing diesel electric proplusion would be huge undertaking/expense. Likely could build one or more new ships for less.

Then there the matter of her aluminum superstructure.

Still railroads are resurrecting old steam locomotives people once thought would never run again, so guess hope does spring eternal.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I was on the USS America. Its now on the bottom of the atlantic!!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 AM

7,568 posts, read 9,081,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
We always thought that Gillette got her, just kidding I deployed with both the America and the Independence to the Med...

As for the SS United States perhaps its time to leave her at rest in a dignified way..

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

9,301 posts, read 5,099,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You know, sort of agree. Would have been better years ago if she were sent to the bottom with a dignified burial.

People get all misty eyed over the SS United States, as is their right I suppose; but there is nothing left of the old girl but a rusting hulk. Richard H. Hadley and subsequent owners largely looted the ship for anything of value that could be sold and as such stripped her not just of fittings but much more.

Modern SOLAS requirements means SS United States never will sail as a steam ship under her own power. Converting her to meet those new requirements including installing diesel electric proplusion would be huge undertaking/expense. Likely could build one or more new ships for less.

Then there the matter of her aluminum superstructure.

Still railroads are resurrecting old steam locomotives people once thought would never run again, so guess hope does spring eternal.

Well, if one could get the ship underway, then the start of conversion is to go find a carrier......ie, the Belknap?

Quote:

At first, I was going to say that being on the shores of the Canaries is hardly on the bottom of the Atlantic......but then I saw that I had misread it.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

878 posts, read 229,949 times
A little worse for wear, but still a good looking ship.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

3,427 posts, read 1,783,618 times
Great idea!

America's enemies have always had the same goal -- to sink our ships during war. I still think it odd that we consider it a celebratory occasion when, after deeming our fighting ships spent and useless, we sink them ourselves.

But I'm an oddball, so....

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Great idea!

America's enemies have always had the same goal -- to sink our ships during war. I still think it odd that we consider it a celebratory occasion when, after deeming our fighting ships spent and useless, we sink them ourselves.

But I'm an oddball, so....
I don't know very many sailors that celebrate when a ship they were assigned to was intentionally sank.

Its sad to see a part of history go beneath the waves but the knowledge gained from a live fire exercise is invaluable. Its not very often that they get to use actual weapons and sink an aircraft carrier. It helps make future ships safer, future weapons more effective.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I don't know very many sailors that celebrate when a ship they were assigned to was intentionally sank.

Its sad to see a part of history go beneath the waves but the knowledge gained from a live fire exercise is invaluable. Its not very often that they get to use actual weapons and sink an aircraft carrier. It helps make future ships safer, future weapons more effective.
There is a custom/tradition within maritime circles to see grand vessels sent to the bottom instead of scrapped. It is deemed a far more fitting and dignified way of ending their useful life.

Many moaned the same thing when the SS Normandie was gutted, cut up and sold for scrap. IIRC even a POTUS at the time stated it was far preferable for that great ocean liner (or what was left of her after a fire), to have been towed out to sea and sank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or