U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:18 PM

14,013 posts, read 16,015,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I disagree. I don't think she looked that large. And, commenting that she does not exist to please a man IS on point. Men feel free to comment on women's appearances frequently, even women they do not know. She does not exist to fit this man's gender stereotype of a pleasing woman.

I've sat next to plenty of fat, disagreeable men, and some simple seat hogs, but I've never made an audible comment about disliking the experience. When you sit in coach, you get what you get. And unless the flight is really long, it is over soon enough.

Frankly, I think the guy is immature. The woman should not have sought confrontation though, IMO. It would have accomplished nothing.
Neither did he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You keep trying to insist in this thread that the man couldn't comfortably sit. I don't think that was a factor. She's not that big, and he started crying to his bro about her size way before he ever knew she'd be his seatmate.
The involves a bit of reading for plausibility. While she claimed she was reading his text message from the moment she boarded, it's not really very plausible that that's the case. It's generally difficult to read someone's text messages from more than a few feet away.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:26 PM

21,715 posts, read 27,765,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The involves a bit of reading for plausibility. While she claimed she was reading his text message from the moment she boarded, it's not really very plausible that that's the case. It's generally difficult to read someone's text messages from more than a few feet away.
The text message was apparently written as she boarded and before she got to the seat. She read it after she sat down.

From the article:

Quote:
You told your friend soon as I boarded and you saw me that it was ‘not good.’

Old 02-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The text message was apparently written as she boarded and before she got to the seat. She read it after she sat down.

From the article:
Which isn't very plausible. Did she know that she entered the plane at exactly 8:57:43 seconds and checked the time stamps and saw it was sent at 8:57:48 seconds? Not likely. More likely he was either in process or had just finished texting after she was done stowing her carry on and being seated.

Even someone who really detests the existence of fat women and made it their mission to text people every time they saw one wouldn't be able to accomplish the task of informing their friend to the presence of every single one boarding the plane. There's just too many to being doing that.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:27 PM

28,151 posts, read 39,785,900 times
I want to see a picture of her before she had a baby.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:36 PM

21,636 posts, read 14,239,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She didn't make an audible comment. You didn't read this story, did you? He was typing a text message and she snooped and read what he said. You might want to do some more reading before commenting next time.

As for him being "immature" well, he did his best to avoid her, he ignored her and even asked to switch seats. In fact, he "quietly" asked the flight attendant for another seat (her words!) so I'd say he handled it pretty well.

Nobody has a right to snoop into other's private messages and conversations. This woman was stalkerish and seemed/seems fixated, even now, on this man that she doesn't know and never will.
Actually I did read the story, and I just read it again. I stand by what I posted. I do not believe the woman was practising stalking behavior, although, as I have previously posted, I believe her seeking confrontation was not wise.

She did tell the man she was not a “two ton woman” but that “she has just had a baby.”

I do think that is immature for a man to ask to be seated in a different seat because he disapproves of a woman’s size. So I stand by that statement, as well.

And yeah, she would have been better off not reading his comment, and he would have been better off not texting it. Neither person comes off looking wonderful.

I think the experience just simply made the woman mad.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,440,905 times
Quote:
I don’t see the woman as being at fault, although seeking (and failing to get) a confrontation afterwards might not have been the wisest thing to do. It would have accomplished nothing.

She is right, of course. She does not exist to please this man. But most people dislike sitting next to an obese person because they tend to overflow into others’ personal space. This lady does not look that big, though.

In this case, the guy simply did not want to sit next to the woman. He probably dislikes all large women, and he has no self control about saying what he thinks. He does not care if he hurts feelings. He wants to sit next to a pretty young thing, if possible.

I don’t mind what the woman told the guy, except it was somewhat defensive. But she did not change his mind, i think he knew she wanted to confront him, and he avoided her. Possibly he was a bit ashamed, or possibly not.
Of course I agree but I think half her comments were misplaced. This, imo, has nothing to do with being a woman or pleasing a man. I see no evidence that what this man texted his friend is about women in general, and not just about being seated next to overweight people on planes. She said she doubts he'd say the same about a man, but I don't doubt that he would at all. She inferred a lot from his text, and she got very defensive, probably because she's insecure. Economy seats are tight enough, it is usually more uncomfortable when overweight people are sitting next to you. Sorry lady, it just is. Even if you're not THAT overweight, there isn't a ton of space.

I'd agree with those who wouldn't call this fat shaming. She read a text that she wasn't supposed to see, he did not say anything rude to her face or in front of other people there. Imo she overreacted, all she had to do after seeing it was give the dude the cold shoulder then be glad she'd never see him again, he never actually bothered her anyway, even after she confronted him. She somehow read his private text (love how she glosses over the fact that she clearly looked at his phone, long enough to read what he wrote), that's on her.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:44 PM

9,232 posts, read 3,566,612 times
Quote:
Actually I did read the story, and I just read it again. I stand by what I posted. I do not believe the woman was practising stalking behavior, although, as I have previously posted, I believe her seeking confrontation was not wise. .
If you had read the story, you would know that he did not make an "audible comment". Which is what you stated.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:24 PM

2,694 posts, read 1,484,111 times
I'm fat and not ashamed. People are so damn sensitive. I do not like these "snowflakes"

Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,943,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Too bad your nephew has an aunt with no sense of humor.
Haha, not even close... we literally text each other poop/fart jokes and emojis, which most Aunties probably wouldn’t indulge. But there’s a difference between humor and cruelty, and thankfully my nephew has been raised well. He is too nice to use humor at someone else’s expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events