U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

4,608 posts, read 2,392,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I don't understand why airlines don't either offer wider seats at a slightly higher cost, or expect the purchase of 2 seats when the passenger is too large to comfortably fit into one seat.
They do, it's called "Economy Plus" or "Premium Economy" depending on the airline. You get about 1-2 inches more of width, and about 3-5 inches more of legroom for about a 10-15% premium in price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

3,148 posts, read 1,562,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
She must have missed that one.
Lol

Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 3,766,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
They do, it's called "Economy Plus" or "Premium Economy" depending on the airline. You get about 1-2 inches more of width, and about 3-5 inches more of legroom for about a 10-15% premium in price.
On domestic flights (which is all most people fly) Economy Plus only gets the passenger more legroom. To get more width, you have to book First Class. (First Class ticket prices have come down, though, so this may not cost more than buying two Economy seats, and it's a lot more convenient.)

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

4,608 posts, read 2,392,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
On domestic flights (which is all most people fly) Economy Plus only gets the passenger more legroom. To get more width, you have to book First Class. (First Class ticket prices have come down, though, so this may not cost more than buying two Economy seats, and it's a lot more convenient.)
I haven't flown domestic economy for quite a long time, so I'm having a difficult time even remembering how tight the seats are but they don't look comfortable.

I do remember seeing bigger seats on a 777 that is considered Premium Economy. They did look wider, and much more comfortable. This was on a flight to Maui.

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM

1,411 posts, read 689,822 times
Quote:

No, I mean size appropriate seats for very large people, not just slightly wider. A couple inches on each side are not going to make a big (no pun intended) difference when a person is truly obese.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

1,560 posts, read 622,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just never ends. Yet another another incident with obese people and airplanes, and posting story on social media.

What did people ever do in the days without social media.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-...vAPE_5GiyZrj1k
I seem to recall this happened maybe last year. I even recall the woman's picture noting that she wasn't really all that big that would warrant calling her 2 ton. Isn't this a redo because of the new case?

ETA: Yes I even remember her saying she recently had a baby. This had to be at least 6 months or more ago that it occurred. It wasn't recent.

Last edited by NorthofHere; Yesterday at 02:50 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

5,080 posts, read 1,777,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
She seems very angry that he ignored her. Maybe she misses the irony that he doesn't exist to make her life better either.

Excellent point. LOL

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

10,799 posts, read 7,870,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm sorry but if I am paying a lot of $$ to fly, I want to be comfortable in my seat and not stuck next to an obese person. It isn't fair to the other paying customers.

However the woman in the photo does not look that big
Times have changed. There are plenty of people who are heavier. That doesn't mean she's not very overweight.
If she fits easily in a seat without infringing upon another's personal space then there would be no issue.
Maybe this will be a wake-up call for her to get healthy.
Hopefully this doesn't throw her into some eating disorder, assuming she doesn't already have one.

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

6,806 posts, read 3,766,614 times
Quote:
I haven't flown domestic economy for quite a long time, so I'm having a difficult time even remembering how tight the seats are but they don't look comfortable.
They vary. The widest, on Frontier, are now 19.1" (only on some aircraft, through, and it's a middle seat).
The narrowest are on United, which has a few seats that are only 16.1" wide. Most airlines average 17-17.5". (For comparison, the average office chair or movie theater seat is 20-24" wide; that's the size of First Class on a domestic airline flight.)

Seat pitch (the distance between two rows of seats) varies a lot, too. You can have anything from 34" to a mere 28" in Economy.

Quote:
I do remember seeing bigger seats on a 777 that is considered Premium Economy. They did look wider, and much more comfortable. This was on a flight to Maui.
They are quite a bit wider and more comfortable, and well worth paying the fare difference to get. But flights to Hawaii, or possibly transcontinental NYC-LA or SEA, are the only domestic flights where Premium Economy might net people a wider seat. On most routes, it just gets the passenger a few inches more leg room. (Which is a problem if a person booked that seat class thinking that by doing so they were getting added width! I wish they'd call that type of seat Economy Extra Leg Room, so the average customer who doesn't flay often would clearly understand what they are getting.)

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,776,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I am 5'2" tall and weigh about 120 pounds. Just about everyone on a plane is bigger than I am. And they always seem to seep into my personal space. Usually men are the worst offenders. Even men who aren't really that overweight will encroach on my space. I get that they can't really help it, but usually they see me and see how small I am, and than take that as their cue to take up as much space as they want. In my experience, and I know this is completely anecdotal, larger women tend to be MUCH more considerate than men. Men seem to not really care that the woman next to them is uncomfortable. Woman will at least try and/or apologize. Even my husband has noticed this when we fly together.
I'm almost the same height/weight and this gets on my nerves. I take a commuter train to work, where there are not assigned seats, so every fat person wants to sit next to me b/c I am tiny. At that point, I usually just let Shamu have the seat and I stand the whole way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events