Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 AM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Just never ends. Yet another another incident with obese people and airplanes, and posting story on social media.

What did people ever do in the days without social media.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mom-...vAPE_5GiyZrj1k

Quote:
A mother wrote an open letter to a man who fat-shamed her on a plane, hoping that he’ll somehow get the message.

Katie Kiacz published the letter to the anonymous passenger who made snide comments about her body in a text message to a friend on a Tuesday Delta Airlines flight from Orlando to Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:59 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I'm tired of the word 'shaming'. The guy may be a jerk. She is upset because there is a bit of truth to what he said in his text which she read because she was being nosy. He apparently did try to discretely distance himself from her. She had said her piece to him, but she had a chip on her shoulder and wanted to fight. That is her problem, not his.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
A message sent by private text to someone not even on the plane is not "shaming" someone. How was she shamed? He didn't bellow, "Pay for a second seat, Tubbo!" to the whole plane, or even get a flight attendant involved. He made a silent comment via what he assumed was a private medium.

Anyway, what she achieved, was announcing to the world via her page, that a fellow passenger thought she was fat. She's shaming herself, at this point.

Not very bright.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-02-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 11:22 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I don’t see the woman as being at fault, although seeking (and failing to get) a confrontation afterwards might not have been the wisest thing to do. It would have accomplished nothing.

She is right, of course. She does not exist to please this man. But most people dislike sitting next to an obese person because they tend to overflow into others’ personal space. This lady does not look that big, though.

In this case, the guy simply did not want to sit next to the woman. He probably dislikes all large women, and he has no self control about saying what he thinks. He does not care if he hurts feelings. He wants to sit next to a pretty young thing, if possible.

I don’t mind what the woman told the guy, except it was somewhat defensive. But she did not change his mind, i think he knew she wanted to confront him, and he avoided her. Possibly he was a bit ashamed, or possibly not.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Who cares that she's a mom? She sounds pretty spiteful herself, too.

That said, she doesn't look morbidly obese and spilling into his seat to me, so if he said anything to her, that was unkind. If he wants to be a jerk on his cell phone while communicating with others, that's his business.

And despite what she says, she's not "over it."

Old 02-02-2019, 12:01 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
She wants to dictate what he texts on his own phone? He should have publicly apologized: “I’m sorry you’re fat.”

She’s the one drawing all the attention to herself. There’s really only one way to avoid this situation, or don’t be surprised people don’t want to share close quarters with you. I’m not just insensitive, but also claustrophobic, it would drive me nuts to be stuck in a window seat next to anyone I’m afraid I couldn’t get around.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:10 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,352,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm tired of the word 'shaming'. The guy may be a jerk. She is upset because there is a bit of truth to what he said in his text which she read because she was being nosy. He apparently did try to discretely distance himself from her. She had said her piece to him, but she had a chip on her shoulder and wanted to fight. That is her problem, not his.

She must have missed that one.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:43 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He made a silent comment via what he assumed was a private medium.
That’s a bad assumption when texting out in public (especially now that smartphones are almost the size of tablets). It’s all too easy for someone who’s close by to see what you are typing (just as it’s easy for someone close to overhear a whisper).

She should have ignored it, but he should have refrained from texting that particular comment to his friend. Rude remarks overheard can hurt, whether shouted, whispered, or texted.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times
This woman really DOES NOT get the point. Her whole argument, that she doesn't exist to please him, would be very appropriate if he were commenting on her being in a grocery line in front of him, or a fellow diner at a different table. That would be an acceptable defense.

But not WHEN SHE'S TAKING UP PART OF HIS SEAT on a flight! And then to go on to comment she wishes she could have taken up even more of his seat?

How can she be so obtuse?

Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This woman really DOES NOT get the point. Her whole argument, that she doesn't exist to please him, would be very appropriate if he were commenting on her being in a grocery line in front of him, or a fellow diner at a different table. That would be an acceptable defense.

But not WHEN SHE'S TAKING UP PART OF HIS SEAT on a flight! And then to go on to comment she wishes she could have taken up even more of his seat?

How can she be so obtuse?
She seems very angry that he ignored her. Maybe she misses the irony that he doesn't exist to make her life better either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events