U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 PM
 
18,729 posts, read 15,616,343 times
Reputation: 35198

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I must have missed that, can you link where it says the crimes were a result of interpretation of the Bible.
It doesn't say it, but if the punishments were for not memorizing bible versus, it's pretty obvious. I'm really not sure what your point is with this line. It feels like you take my saying that as an attack on Christians or something when I have been more than clear it is these individuals interpretation of what THEY think God wants them to do in terms of child rearing, not a blanket statement on Christians. Everyone's so easily offended today you can't even have a discussion, geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2019, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,944 posts, read 44,285,432 times
Reputation: 20138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I stand by those statements, which very clearly states the crimes here are the result of these 2 individuals interpretation of the Bible and not representative of Christianity in general. What is it you are disputing about them?
I wish people would apply these statements to other religions too... but when a Muslim (for example) does something horrible, it's somehow representative of the WHOLE religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 04:02 PM
 
18,729 posts, read 15,616,343 times
Reputation: 35198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wish people would apply these statements to other religions too... but when a Muslim (for example) does something horrible, it's somehow representative of the WHOLE religion.
Yes, I was just thinking that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,944 posts, read 44,285,432 times
Reputation: 20138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I was just thinking that!
It's similar to what POC often say - that when someone of their race does a bad thing, it inevitably reflects on the entire race. But those rules don't apply to the majority (white/Christian in the US), it seems. They just default to using the "Scotsman's Fallacy," claiming it must not be REAL Christians who did *whatever*.

I'm Jewish, and we're sometimes even judged by what happens in Israel - which is REALLY unfair since that's more about politics, especially considering something like 70% of Israelis don't even identify as religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,744 posts, read 21,054,207 times
Reputation: 20858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn't say it, but if the punishments were for not memorizing bible versus, it's pretty obvious. I'm really not sure what your point is with this line. It feels like you take my saying that as an attack on Christians or something when I have been more than clear it is these individuals interpretation of what THEY think God wants them to do in terms of child rearing, not a blanket statement on Christians. Everyone's so easily offended today you can't even have a discussion, geez.
Its not obvious it projection and sensationalism. Just like you believing I'm offended in some why when I clearly stated I was not offended just pointing out your lack of any evidence to support the statements you made.
You have admitted none of the articles said anything about the families religious affiliations or beliefs or that the punishment or the actual crime committed by the son was based on biblical interpretations and that those statements are only your personal opinion based solely on the fact it was bible versus and not some other writing or chore that was not carried out. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 AM
 
18,729 posts, read 15,616,343 times
Reputation: 35198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its not obvious it projection and sensationalism. Just like you believing I'm offended in some why when I clearly stated I was not offended just pointing out your lack of any evidence to support the statements you made.
You have admitted none of the articles said anything about the families religious affiliations or beliefs or that the punishment or the actual crime committed by the son was based on biblical interpretations and that those statements are only your personal opinion based solely on the fact it was bible versus and not some other writing or chore that was not carried out. Thank you.
You sure seem offended to me. Pretty positive were it a story about how punishment was due to not memorizing the Koran, most would assume the person was Muslim, and with good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 10:39 AM
 
6,163 posts, read 1,491,270 times
Reputation: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Disgusting. The world is a sick, sick place.



If I am not mistaken that is the same county where the "Making a Murderer" documentary was filmed. Lots of high profile murders for a small rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,744 posts, read 21,054,207 times
Reputation: 20858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You sure seem offended to me. Pretty positive were it a story about how punishment was due to not memorizing the Koran, most would assume the person was Muslim, and with good reason.
Ok yes I have been taking umbrage to many recent statements on various issues meant to propagate information that has absolutely no basis in supported fact. I bothers me when people spread regurgitated headlines as the gospel without even reading or trying to understand the actual facts or lack of facts presented. As far as being offended due to some religious reason, no, I'm not offended. I'll will be the first to call out evils in the name of religion, any religion.

And yes I might assume they were Muslim but I would not assume and declare their sect, how devout or state that their behavior is an interpretation of religious readings. If their son beat another kid to death I would not say it was due to the parents religious interpretation of the Koran for a non life threatening punishment for disobedience. If many do this, and I'm sure people do, they are wrong to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 12:18 PM
 
18,729 posts, read 15,616,343 times
Reputation: 35198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok yes I have been taking umbrage to many recent statements on various issues meant to propagate information that has absolutely no basis in supported fact. I bothers me when people spread regurgitated headlines as the gospel without even reading or trying to understand the actual facts or lack of facts presented. As far as being offended due to some religious reason, no, I'm not offended. I'll will be the first to call out evils in the name of religion, any religion.

And yes I might assume they were Muslim but I would not assume and declare their sect, how devout or state that their behavior is an interpretation of religious readings. If their son beat another kid to death I would not say it was due to the parents religious interpretation of the Koran for a non life threatening punishment for disobedience. If many do this, and I'm sure people do, they are wrong to do so.
I’m stating it’s due to an incorrect interpretation of the Bible. Just like in the movie Carrie, her moms abuse was based on her incorrect interpretation of the Bible. I didn’t regurgitate any headline. You still want to make this about attacking Christianity, it’s not. You’re incorrectly interpreting my posts. I never stated there is any sect they belong to that condones this, in fact I stated over and over this was about these people as individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2019, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,744 posts, read 21,054,207 times
Reputation: 20858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Iím stating itís due to an incorrect interpretation of the Bible. Just like in the movie Carrie, her moms abuse was based on her incorrect interpretation of the Bible. I didnít regurgitate any headline. You still want to make this about attacking Christianity, itís not. Youíre incorrectly interpreting my posts. I never stated there is any sect they belong to that condones this, in fact I stated over and over this was about these people as individuals.
I know your saying the crimes were due to bible interpretation. How is the son beating his cousin? an incorrect interpretation of the bible?
In Carrie the mom was crazy. She directly abused Carrie because she believed her actions were sin.
In this situation the guardians punished the boy for not memorizing bible versus. Do you think "their brand of Christianity " taught them not memorizing bible versus was a sin? Do you think they just believe in punishing children who do not do as they are told perhaps. In this situation it was their son who killed the boy. Did Damian kill him because he thought not memorizing bible versus was a sin. Was he instructed to kill him because not memorizing versus is a sin.
I dont understand how you think I am making it about Christianity. I would make the same argument if you stated the crime was a result of interpretation of song lyrics, or the constitution, or a movie. It would make mores sense to say it was a misinterpretation of his fathers instruction to supervise the punishment.



And just to clear up I did not say YOU regurgitated headlines.

"I will never understand what brand of Christianity some of these people practice where they think that this is not only acceptable but actually something God would approve of." sounds like you think they belong to a certain sect (brand) of Christianity that condones beating kids to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top