U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM

7,922 posts, read 2,962,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you think "their brand of Christianity " taught them not memorizing bible versus was a sin? .
That's what I was taught, actually, in the religion I grew up in. So yes, there are some "brands of Christianity" where it's a sin to not memorize Bible verses and there are punishments for not doing so. I'd rather stay away from this thread altogether and I'll just leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM

20,744 posts, read 21,054,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's what I was taught, actually, in the religion I grew up in. So yes, there are some "brands of Christianity" where it's a sin to not memorize Bible verses and there are punishments for not doing so. I'd rather stay away from this thread altogether and I'll just leave it at that.
Did you know anyone who was killed because of it? Just curious.

I grew up southern baptist. Over the years of being christian, agnostic, atheist, agnostic, back and forth, different churches, no church, I have never known of a church or church goer who believed not memorizing bible versus was a sin.
I'm sure it does exist though. There are some really crazy cults out there.
Regardless, my point is according to everything published thus far on this case there was nothing about what church if any these folks were affiliated with or that any of them believed not memorizing versus was a sin for which beating, torture and death were justified. We know there was a history of abuse within the family.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:45 PM

18,729 posts, read 15,616,343 times
Quote:
I know your saying the crimes were due to bible interpretation. How is the son beating his cousin? an incorrect interpretation of the bible?
In Carrie the mom was crazy. She directly abused Carrie because she believed her actions were sin.
In this situation the guardians punished the boy for not memorizing bible versus. Do you think "their brand of Christianity " taught them not memorizing bible versus was a sin? Do you think they just believe in punishing children who do not do as they are told perhaps. In this situation it was their son who killed the boy. Did Damian kill him because he thought not memorizing bible versus was a sin. Was he instructed to kill him because not memorizing versus is a sin.
I dont understand how you think I am making it about Christianity. I would make the same argument if you stated the crime was a result of interpretation of song lyrics, or the constitution, or a movie. It would make mores sense to say it was a misinterpretation of his fathers instruction to supervise the punishment.

And just to clear up I did not say YOU regurgitated headlines.

"I will never understand what brand of Christianity some of these people practice where they think that this is not only acceptable but actually something God would approve of." sounds like you think they belong to a certain sect (brand) of Christianity that condones beating kids to death.
These people were crazy too. They made the children carry heavy logs around the yard for hours and hours for not memorizing Bible verses. That’s crazy in my book. The son is a product of the environment he grew up in. Abused children often become abusers.

Last paragraph you quoted, I was basically saying they’re making up their own brand of Christianity that has nothing to do with anything but themselves and their own twisted beliefs.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:08 PM

3,374 posts, read 648,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Iím stating itís due to an incorrect interpretation of the Bible. Just like in the movie Carrie, her moms abuse was based on her incorrect interpretation of the Bible. I didnít regurgitate any headline. You still want to make this about attacking Christianity, itís not. Youíre incorrectly interpreting my posts. I never stated there is any sect they belong to that condones this, in fact I stated over and over this was about these people as individuals.
It doesn't matter that YOU think it is an incorrect interpretation, what matters is what THEY felt. If the Bible was a singular guidebook you would not have 30-40,000 sects of Christianity.

People use religion to justify horrors that most secular humanists and atheists abhor, and could never contemplate doing.

Religion is a scourge on society that needs to go. And fast.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:52 PM

5,525 posts, read 1,505,708 times
Sorry folks but this story is unproven

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/et...-bible-verses/

Old 02-07-2019, 06:06 PM

18,729 posts, read 15,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sorry folks but this story is unproven

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/et...-bible-verses/
It’s only unproven because the sheriffs department did not get back to them. There’s no reason to doubt it though. The defendants were arrested for the murder, just the reason the boy gave wasn’t able to be corroborated by Snopes because the call they made wasn’t returned. That doesn’t mean it’s not legit.

The Wisconsin Sherriffs Department has probably received dozens of calls from varied outlets. Why on earth would they go out of their way to return a call from Snopes?

The second link is from a Wisconsin news station.its not some e-mail or Facebook post making the rounds.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-07-2019 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 PM

23,762 posts, read 22,706,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wish people would apply these statements to other religions too... but when a Muslim (for example) does something horrible, it's somehow representative of the WHOLE religion.
Not for the "thinking" person. No one represents an entire group.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 AM

20,744 posts, read 21,054,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
These people were crazy too. They made the children carry heavy logs around the yard for hours and hours for not memorizing Bible verses. Thatís crazy in my book. The son is a product of the environment he grew up in. Abused children often become abusers.

Last paragraph you quoted, I was basically saying theyíre making up their own brand of Christianity that has nothing to do with anything but themselves and their own twisted beliefs.
I sure agree with you there these people were off. I dont know about bonified crazy but seriously dysfunctional.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 PM

18,060 posts, read 22,426,382 times
Quote:
Did you know anyone who was killed because of it? Just curious.

I grew up southern baptist. Over the years of being christian, agnostic, atheist, agnostic, back and forth, different churches, no church, I have never known of a church or church goer who believed not memorizing bible versus was a sin.
I'm sure it does exist though. There are some really crazy cults out there.
Regardless, my point is according to everything published thus far on this case there was nothing about what church if any these folks were affiliated with or that any of them believed not memorizing versus was a sin for which beating, torture and death were justified. We know there was a history of abuse within the family.
I did a quick google search - it's not difficult to find children who are abused by Fundamentalist Christian parents. Here is one - Couple Beat Child To Death With

Southern Baptists are evangelicals and some are strict Fundamentalists. Others are more moderate. The denomination made a turn to the right approximately 30 years ago, when the SBC turned more conservative.

I have a few friends who were raised in that denomination. They all attended public school and did "normal" things.

The groups that concern me more are the Independent Bible Fundamentalist Baptists. Many of them home school and do not attend church. Their house is their church. An example of this would be the Duggars.

There were SEVERAL instances of adopted Ethiopian children who were beaten to death. Another child in Texas, was put outside of her home and lost. I don't remember the exact circumstances.

YES. There absolutely IS a connection with very conservative denominations and mandated corporal punishment - and by extention, child abuse.

I think there should be greater oversight into families who elect to "home school" because frequently their motive are less than noble.

There was a little girl in Hickory NC, who was killed by her step mother. This child was reported to authorities as abused, and nothing was done. She was a cancer survivor and had one leg. She was also deaf as a result of chemotherapy treatments.

The step mother, was NOT a f undamentalist Christian - in fact she was a "Goth" and a self proclaimed witch. When the "family" was reported, they moved. And moved again.

Finalay, they pulled little Zahara Baker out of school. That was when she went missing. Prosecuters believe that the step mother fed her body to a wood chipper.

Her DNA was found spread around several locations in the woods surrounding Hickory NC.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-14-2019 at 10:26 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 10:28 PM

18,060 posts, read 22,426,382 times
Here is another - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Lydia_Schatz

The Perls are the child care "experts" followed by people such as the Duggars. Independent Fundamentalist Baptists.

https://www.responsiblehomeschooling...cealing-abuse/

There needs to be some over site concerning home schooling. Not everyone who home schools is an abusive parent. I did it for six months, following a move, as per my daughter's request.
She went back to school in the Fall. I felt that she needed to be with people her own age and to involve herself in structured activities.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-14-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or