U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 AM

20,744 posts, read 21,054,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I did a quick google search - it's not difficult to find children who are abused by Fundamentalist Christian parents. Here is one - Couple Beat Child To Death With

Southern Baptists are evangelicals and some are strict Fundamentalists. Others are more moderate. The denomination made a turn to the right approximately 30 years ago, when the SBC turned more conservative.

I have a few friends who were raised in that denomination. They all attended public school and did "normal" things.

The groups that concern me more are the Independent Bible Fundamentalist Baptists. Many of them home school and do not attend church. Their house is their church. An example of this would be the Duggars.

There were SEVERAL instances of adopted Ethiopian children who were beaten to death. Another child in Texas, was put outside of her home and lost. I don't remember the exact circumstances.

YES. There absolutely IS a connection with very conservative denominations and mandated corporal punishment - and by extention, child abuse.

I think there should be greater oversight into families who elect to "home school" because frequently their motive are less than noble.

There was a little girl in Hickory NC, who was killed by her step mother. This child was reported to authorities as abused, and nothing was done. She was a cancer survivor and had one leg. She was also deaf as a result of chemotherapy treatments.

The step mother, was NOT a f undamentalist Christian - in fact she was a "Goth" and a self proclaimed witch. When the "family" was reported, they moved. And moved again.

Finalay, they pulled little Zahara Baker out of school. That was when she went missing. Prosecuters believe that the step mother fed her body to a wood chipper.

Her DNA was found spread around several locations in the woods surrounding Hickory NC.
Yes religious people of every denomination and non religious people have been known to abuse children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:39 PM

4,008 posts, read 2,313,170 times
It should be against the law to try to convert a foster kid to your personal religion. That's basically psychological abuse.

Pick a religion you don't agree with. Would you be ok with foster parents teaching your kid to believe in it (if something happened to you)? Or let's say I was a foster parent...would you be ok with me teaching them that there's probably no god?

If that's ok, then at least you're applying the same standard.

If not, then foster parents shouldn't try to push their religions. Kids learn to think rationally over time, and it'll be some multiple of seven before they can really think religion through.

Old Today, 07:59 PM

3,373 posts, read 648,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It should be against the law to try to convert a foster kid to your personal religion. That's basically psychological abuse.

Pick a religion you don't agree with. Would you be ok with foster parents teaching your kid to believe in it (if something happened to you)? Or let's say I was a foster parent...would you be ok with me teaching them that there's probably no god?

If that's ok, then at least you're applying the same standard.

If not, then foster parents shouldn't try to push their religions. Kids learn to think rationally over time, and it'll be some multiple of seven before they can really think religion through.
It should be against the law to indoctrinate any children in magical thinking like religions. Let them make their own choices when they are 18 or older. Raise your children to be a humanitarian, and you a better impact than any religion.

Of course, religions teach that you live after you die, and should do whatever they thing they need to tell you to control members in this life, so that their "eternity is assured", whatever that means

Magical thinking. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or