Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:37 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How do you know the version of Christianity they believe in. Did I miss that in the articles? It was the 15 year old who killed the 7 year old because he resented him and his siblings living with his family. He was not killed because he didnt memorize versus.
I don't know the version, to me it's a bastardized version. Just as terrorists practice a bastardized version of Islam. Yes, I know it was the son. The son who grew up with abusive parents who made them carry heavy logs around the yard for punishment, including for not memorizing bible verses.

I am not sure why people seem offended by this. It's not a reflection of Christianity overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
How do you know the version of Christianity they believe in. Did I miss that in the articles? It was the 15 year old who killed the 7 year old because he resented him and his siblings living with his family. He was not killed because he didnt memorize versus.
We don't know what his motivation was.

But he did that log carrying punishment as ordered to by his father, and his mother knew it was going on.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know the version, to me it's a bastardized version. Just as terrorists practice a bastardized version of Islam. Yes, I know it was the son. The son who grew up with abusive parents who made them carry heavy logs around the yard for punishment, including for not memorizing bible verses.

I am not sure why people seem offended by this. It's not a reflection of Christianity overall.
I did take offense to it; primarily because of how the first link the OP provided started the report. It literally started like this:

Quote:
Christian love: A 7-year-old boy in Wisconsin was tortured and killed while being punished for failing to memorize 13 Bible verses.
The funny thing is that I'm not even a Christian, I don't think; not in the true sense of the word. I'm the proverbial "W***e in church" ... a Magdalen at best but I'm also a "wannabe", I suppose. I'd love to have the peace of mind that the true Christians I've known have.

You don't have to be a self-proclaimed Christian to spot the obvious bias by the media when it comes to Christianity.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I did take offense to it; primarily because of how the first link the OP provided started the report. It literally started like this:

The funny thing is that I'm not even a Christian, I don't think; not in the true sense of the word. I'm the proverbial "W***e in church" ... a Magdalen at best but I'm also a "wannabe", I suppose. I'd love to have the peace of mind that the true Christians I've known have.

You don't have to be a self-proclaimed Christian to spot the obvious bias by the media when it comes to Christianity.
It’s not “The Media”. It’s a blog called Secular Humanist. The entire site is anti-religion in purpose and intent. It’s not pretending to be an unbiased news source. The actual news site in the second link does not have any similar wording. If I start a website/blog, it doesn’t magically make me “The media”.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:59 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:

Im not offended. When I read or hear statements not supported by or a reflection of any stated facts I question and call out those statements like: "these PARTICULAR people used the bible as a justification to beat their kids." and "the version of Christianity they believe in believes in harsh physical punishments for children who don't accurately memorize biblical passages"

Old 02-06-2019, 12:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
It’s not “The Mediaâ€. It’s a blog called Secular Humanist. The entire site is anti-religion in purpose and intent. It’s not pretending to be an unbiased news source. The actual news site in the second link does not have any similar wording. If I start a website/blog, it doesn’t magically make me “The mediaâ€.
Exactly.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Im not offended. When I read or hear statements not supported by or a reflection of any stated facts I question and call out those statements like: "these PARTICULAR people used the bible as a justification to beat their kids." and "the version of Christianity they believe in believes in harsh physical punishments for children who don't accurately memorize biblical passages"
I stand by those statements, which very clearly states the crimes here are the result of these 2 individuals interpretation of the Bible and not representative of Christianity in general. What is it you are disputing about them?

Old 02-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We don't know what his motivation was.

But he did that log carrying punishment as ordered to by his father, and his mother knew it was going on.
The article stated Damian said he was upset that the children were living with them.
May or may not have been his motive for beating the boy but at this point its the closest thing authorities have got. He was not told to hit, kick or bury him in the snow, just supervise his "punishment".

Old 02-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I stand by those statements, which very clearly states the crimes here are the result of these 2 individuals interpretation of the Bible and not representative of Christianity in general. What is it you are disputing about them?
I must have missed that, can you link where it says the crimes were a result of interpretation of the Bible.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progre...ZjEkYe1eweX.01

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Ma...505213951.html

This is sickening, and a true perversion of Christianity. I have to wonder - did this child attend school outside the home? Did any neighbors notice this?

What a horrible way to die. It took hourse, until his little body could no longer endure this vicious, and sadistic ordeal.

He died of blunt force trauma and hypothermia.

Has anyone read anything more about this tragedy?

Ethan was placed with these "guardians" by the court, who always strives to "keep families together".

Perhaps if he was placed in a caring family of non-relative, he would still be alive.
Jesus would have been appalled. Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." He preached love and tolerance, which is absolutely missing from this picture. The term "suffer' means "allow," not "punish." Matthew 19:14 King James Version (KJV)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events