U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2019, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
32,974 posts, read 9,723,592 times
Reputation: 31206

Advertisements

The operator seemed reallly nice. Of course, they discourage that lol, but they weren't busy.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28rfaHZDFNU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2019, 02:23 PM
 
15,920 posts, read 9,233,125 times
Reputation: 26769
Cute story, glad the operator had a good sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,512 posts, read 3,652,291 times
Reputation: 3176
I think in a lot of municipalities you might end up with a fine or a large bill if you do something like this.
Normally, they don't want you to tie down 911 resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
294 posts, read 57,498 times
Reputation: 836
My kids did something a little similar. They sent the police to do a welfare check and explain to them what constitutes a real emergency. We live in a small town so they were very nice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 PM
 
18,687 posts, read 15,592,299 times
Reputation: 35110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
My kids did something a little similar. They sent the police to do a welfare check and explain to them what constitutes a real emergency. We live in a small town so they were very nice about it.
My nephew called 911 once from a payphone in a hospital waiting room while his mom was delivering his brother. He was probably about 6. We saw him playing with the phone but didnít think anything of it, but apparently you donít need money to dial 911. He hung up when they answered, but a cop walked in 15 minutes later. I believe the lecture he got from him was quite effective lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2019, 11:38 AM
 
8,315 posts, read 12,805,735 times
Reputation: 4127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think in a lot of municipalities you might end up with a fine or a large bill if you do something like this.
Normally, they don't want you to tie down 911 resources.
An adult doing this I could see a fine. The child likely didn't know any better.


It was a very cute video. With all the real emergencies people call 911 for, this call was probably the best call the dispatcher had all day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 AM
 
7,414 posts, read 4,828,612 times
Reputation: 8496
Cure story but why is this kid calling 911 instead of going to his parents for homework help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
 
9,572 posts, read 15,398,831 times
Reputation: 15748
I don't find it "cute" at all! That operator should have been fired! She was wasting the time she was being PAID for to play games with the caller. What if another call came through? I guess we can't tell kids NO anymore. That kid should have been "scared straight". The operator should have asked his name, age, and where were his parents? Then he should have been told sternly that he should only call this number for an emergency, and homework is NOT an emergency.


Actually, a kid should NEVER call 911. The adult or parent in charge should call. Oh, he's alone, no adult supervision? Hmmm.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
22,147 posts, read 27,036,551 times
Reputation: 27634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Cure story but why is this kid calling 911 instead of going to his parents for homework help.
He's a kid. Kids do things like that. I am sure he has been told not to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I don't find it "cute" at all! That operator should have been fired! She was wasting the time she was being PAID for to play games with the caller. What if another call came through? I guess we can't tell kids NO anymore. That kid should have been "scared straight". The operator should have asked his name, age, and where were his parents? Then he should have been told sternly that he should only call this number for an emergency, and homework is NOT an emergency.


Actually, a kid should NEVER call 911. The adult or parent in charge should call. Oh, he's alone, no adult supervision? Hmmm.....
The dispatcher made it very clear they were not busy and there were six others available to take calls. I am sure the child has been told what 911 is not to be used for any more.

A kid should never call 911? What if he was not "alone" until the adult with him had a medical emergency? Children as young as 3 years old have called 911 during true emergencies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kids...GwWayzU4Qge2M:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:49 AM
 
504 posts, read 263,557 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
He's a kid. Kids do things like that. I am sure he has been told not to do it again.



The dispatcher made it very clear they were not busy and there were six others available to take calls. I am sure the child has been told what 911 is not to be used for any more.

A kid should never call 911? What if he was not "alone" until the adult with him had a medical emergency? Children as young as 3 years old have called 911 during true emergencies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kids...GwWayzU4Qge2M:
Cuteness is a positive--except when it is not. Some things I do not want to be engaged with "cute".

I don't want the doctor doing open heart surgery to pause to pet a "cute" dog. (And I LOVE dogs).

I don't want a General charged with protecting the nation to be distracted by a "cute" cat.


And I don't want a dispatcher who should be available for life-threatening emergencies to spend time helping a "cute" kid with their homework.

So what if 6 other dispatchers are available? What if your life depends on caller #7?

I agree--the dispatcher should be fired, and the PARENTS should receive a stern warning.

911 is not for cuteness. It is to be available to help save lives. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top